Nice chuck outing

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Nice chuck outing

Post by Bill K »

Well yesterday was a nice warm, sunny day with no wind, so off I went with the 20 Tac and 17 HMR for a look see for some Rock chucks. One area I like has a long lava rock ridge and a couple of rock outcroppings that usually hold some.
And they did. Saw about six off and on moving around and sun bathing. So on the one long ridge and one pointed pile of rock took one off each.
Did not shoot any others, as you don't want to clean them out on one shooting, plus it allows the young to grow more and be around for another day.
Would love to have got to them and took a photo or two, but I am just too old to climb these rocky areas any more. Plus being out here alone, I have to be very careful, as there are few others around, more often than not.
But this photo will give you a idea of the terrane and the rocks I shot them on. Bill K :D
101_0837.JPG
101_0837.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 432 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Nice chuck outing

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glad to hear you were finally able to get out again there, Bill.

Looks like great rock chuck habitat too, so it's no wonder you've always got targets there. After seeing all your snow pics over winter and early spring, I'm betting it was refreshing to finally get out of 'cabin fever', grab your rifles and head out to where the chucks are.

And like you, now that I'm also into "geezerhood", I'm more careful now climbing those ridges and rocks to retrieve a moribund chuck for visual confirmation and maybe a pic or two. Getting hurt out there would be treacherous, and worse when alone and being older than we used to be. But even though you did not retrieve those chucks, we both know that the raptors and coyotes truly appreciate your feeding efforts. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Nice chuck outing

Post by Bill K »

Correct Rick. Thank you for your comments. Getting old has both advantages and disadvantages for sure. :)