Using E callers at night

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Using E callers at night

Post by Ryan S Albright »

since a lot of my hunting takes place at night operating a remote caller in the dark can be a pain. I have a $50 dollar Remington remote which I have to memorize the button potions because a red light makes the labels unreadable at night and has no remote volume control. The Cass remote caller I have lights up but only works entermitantly or win it wants to work but both of these callers are light weight. The old John Stewart tape player is heavy and the speaker cord is a pain but cassette tapes do have a long play advantage. I need a E caller that I can operate in the dark that will play a sound continually for a long time has volume control and easy change features in the dark that can be packed easily and set up the decoy feature would also be nice as decoys do work in the dark. The more quick set ups I can make in a short time helps my odds a little.
DOGKILLR

Post by DOGKILLR »

get the foxpro FX5. Backlit remote for ease in picking sounds,compact,and has decoy remote capabilities with their jack in the box decoy. A little pricey but worth the money.
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I promise Im not trying to offend!!! But I wish I could say $650-700 was a "little" pricey. If you go to http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm he has a pretty cool idea of how to build an ecaller using parts that you find at Radio Shack for about $70. I havent tried it but it all makes sense to me.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
DOGKILLR

Post by DOGKILLR »

Sorry, should have said pretty dang expensive. LOL
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I'm not a representative for any e call manufacturers anywhere in the world.

Having said that the only real problem I see with the homemade callers is that they are not water resistant at all. Or barely so in a good scenarioo. I like to call the beginning & end of the fronts so I need water resistant elecronics. If you can find a way to make your homemade caller water resisitant I would strongly suggest doing that. The Radio Shack guy told me that out on a night with high humidity for a few hours the electronics will suffer irrepairable damages & taking them from warm to cold in the winter is hard on them too.

I'm not bashing the homemade ecallers here. I'm just pointing out some of the things I've seen,read &/or heard. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

Best e-caller there is: Compucaller II by Burnham Brothers....

http://www.burnhambrothers.com

You will not be sorry....

GW
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Thanks for the info

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I am not against building my own when I think I can make some think that fits my needs for less money! I've put a few things together that have worked. In my life I've had money and I've had tight times. I can solder and have a grasp of electronics. The Idea of making something better and handier intrigues me. The MP3 players are getting cheaper but remote control is a little beyond me.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ryan, a Radio Shack and Grainger catalog, and you're all set. Not as hard as you'd think, and way less dinero if you're on a budget.

Sounds like a smart young lad like yourself would have fun doing it anyway. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

DOGKILLR

Post by DOGKILLR »

RYAN, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE REMOTE. MAKE YOUR HOMEMADE E-CALLER LIKE ON SOME OF THE POSTS, BUT INSTEAD OF HOOKING THE IPOD OR MP3 PLAYER UP WITH A SHORT PATCH CORD MAKE YOU ONE ABOUT 50 FT LONG. JUST GET A SHORT CORD AND SPLICE A SHIELDED CABLE IN BETWEEN. THEN YOU CAN CONTROL IT FROM YOUR POSITION WITHOUT HAVING IT RIGHT WITH YOU. I KNOW YOU NIGHT HUNT THOUGH SO SETTING IT CLOSE TO YOU IS IMPORTANT. YOU WANT THAT VARMINTS EYES LOOKING SOMEWHAT TOWARD YOU FOR REFLECTION.