whats beter for a gun

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
predhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none

whats beter for a gun

Post by predhunter »

I was wondering which gun i should probly get. It is between a savage savage Model 11FXP3 in 204 or a how lightning in 204. The howa cost $415 and the savage cost $472. Which will probly be more accurate and have a beter triger and are they worth the price. Thanks
predhunter

Re: whats beter for a gun

Post by predhunter »

and what would they probly group out of the box
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

The scope on the Savage will get replaced I'm quite certain. They aren't very good scopes on the package deals. The rings can be used for the next scope however. $472 plus $300 for better glass is $772. The Howa will need the same scope for $300 plus the mounting system. Probably somewhere around $75. You're around $790 for the Howa. Money wise it's nearly a wash. The Savage is the better deal IF you can live with the scope. I think they will both shoot very good. Out of the box accuracy will depend upon factory ammo or hand loaded ammo. Plus some rifles need to be shot some before they settle down. The 32gr V-Max factory rds should get you around 1" at 100yds.

What is the weight difference?? Will you be carrying it a lot,, coyote hunting,, or just bench shooting for p-dogs, ground squirrels,etc??

Which stock style do you like better??

Sorry to ask YOU the questions but we just need to know to help best as we can. :wink:

HTH somewhat. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

i will be mostly hunting yotes and some target shooting no p-dogs up in maine wish.
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

like the stock on the savage 10GXP3 have one in 308 never held a howa
Glen

Post by Glen »

How much weight difference? If you know the stock on the Savage fits you then it's a plus for the Savage. The Howa might be heavier.

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
predhunter

Post by predhunter »

the savage weighs 6.5lbs and howa weighs 7.6lbs so about a 1lb dif
Glen

Post by Glen »

Thats probably scoped vs unscoped too so the Howa will be heavier yet I would think.

Not really helping you any am I?? :lol: Personally I would buy the Howa only because I have one Savage already. :mrgreen:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I bought a Savage 11 for a truck gun and put the Simmons scope on a rimfire even though it didn"t look too bad. After installing a Leupold and doing a barrel break in of about 35 shots, I shot 3/4 inch and less with the same 39 bk load I use in my Savage 12's. I am very pleased with the performance to say the least. It took a long time for me to warm up to these Savages but now they are my first choice.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I stopped by a gun shop and looked at several Howa 1500's some with the Hoge over molded stock and some with out. The price here for a Howa is $549 I saw one they called the compact which caught my eye it was a 7mm08 with a 20 inch barrel. Now I wouldn't pay $549 for one but for $419 I would consider it. The trigger wasn't bad it had a nice point of aim and a smooth action. Ruger makes a stainless steel ultra light for about $509. But I added a timny trigger to mine running the cost up another $90 dollars. I am sure the Howa is a fine rifle same with the Savage. The one thing you get with a Savage is the Accutrigger which is a fine trigger which is a good value. I am sure all of the new rifles will get you good groups. The one thing that bothered me about my Handy rifle was it came open on its own quite often. Be fearless and by a rifle you won't be sorry. When you have problems check in with the forum somebody will give you help. As for scopes I have used the simmons 3x9 pronghorn a $49 dollar scope day and night hunting and off the bench it works great and is a good value. I also use the $99 Simmons 6x20x50AO white tail special that Midway sells it has worked good day and night and off the bench in the squirrel fields. If you got the money buy Leopold or something else but for use poor folk Simmons works.
Ahab
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender Hvy. barrel, Savage 112

Post by Ahab »

I've had bad luck with two Savages so I would go with the Howa which I have three with no problems. Thats me. At our gun club, some have great guns out of the box and some don't. Choose what's comfortable for you. ;)
NRA Endowment
Arizona Antelope Foundation
Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society
statelinerut
.204 Ruger Guns: CCZ 527

Post by statelinerut »

I am new here and this only my second post, but I would encourage you taking a look at the Stevens model 200. You can get the Stevens 200 for around $285.00. It is basically the Savage 110 without the Accutrigger. Guys I coyote hunt with swear by them. For the money, they are by far the best deal on the market. You can also get an aftermarket trigger for about $75.00 if you need an extra light trigger, but the stock trigger can be adjusted to about 2.5 pounds. The stock is a drab grey color, but with a can of black Krylon paint from Walmart you will have a good looking rifle.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck on your decision.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've seen the Stevens and if the trigger could be adjusted. I would think they would be a fine rifle especially for the price. You need to check out Gunbroker.com they have all sorts of rifles on auction you could find a good deal on something. I just think that a bolt action gun is easer to tweek to get the accuracy and the second shot from. Good luck with your project.
janneuf

Post by janneuf »

No way would I opt for a Howa over a Savage with the accutrigger. But, if you're still looking you can buy the Howa online for about $340 in a barreled action and buy the Hogue stock for about another $120 or so.......still comes in less than $500. I have a Hogue stock on my 7mm WSM and love it.

I know you guys are not cranked up about the package scopes for the Savage but in reality there's no recoil to the 204 so just about anything will work. He said he's primarily going to be hunting coyotes and if you look at the concensus most here do their calling at about 6x.

You simply can't beat a Savage for "out of the box" accuracy. My Model 12FV has shot well with every load I've tried but one. It does not like 32 grainers or at least in the loads I've shot. I've shot sub .5 MOA with 4 different bullets the Sierra BK in 39 grain, the Hornady and Nosler in 40 grain and the Berger in 35 grain.

Buy the Savage, you'll never regret it.
janneuf