NW Illinois coyote

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

NW Illinois coyote

Post by DarkNight »

Well, I haven't been spending much time on the PM website as vet school has really picked up. I did get a chance to do some calling over my short Christmas break and got this male coyote.

I set up just north (to the right) of that timber you see in the background at about 6:30 am. I was kneeling on a low grassy hill and the wind was carrying my scent out into the open field that you can see in the photograph between my truck and the timber. It was that really dim lighting of twilight and I spent a few minutes studying (hey, it's what I do!) the various dark spots, bushes, tree limbs, field drain tubes, etc. that surrounded me. I opened with a couple of howls from my buddy's Mick Lacy howler....no response. I sat quietly for a couple of minutes and started some soft rabbit distress cries on my Weems call....nothing. After about five minutes I howled again...no response. I waited a few more minutes and then broke the silence with some LOUD and raspy screams from that Weems call. I was scanning toward the timber as well as that open field and that's when I saw a dark grey spot that was moooooving
This male came in at the walk without ever vocalizing. He stopped at about 100 yds and I slowly raised my rifle. Looking through the scope I realized my nerves are still what they always are when I call in a coyote.....jumpy! So I ever so slowly layed down in the prone position, never once taking my eye off the coyote. The coyote was looking around for the source of the rabbit and coyote sounds and was also looking back the way it came from, probably looking for its mate. Anyway, I dug my elbows into the snow, turned the Bushnell Elite 4200 up to 14X, slid off the safety on my Savage 12vlp (.204 Ruger), and sent a single shot downrange. The 40 gr ballistic tip entered behind one shoulder blade, exited out the opposite side through the neck, and the coyote dropped in his tracks-DRT.

I sent the same two pictures from this post to the owners with a short thank-you note. Hopefully I'll be able to hunt this timber for years to come!

Here's another picture of the same coyote.

Thanks for looking.
DarkNight
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: NW Illinois coyote

Post by Silverfox »

DarkNight--congratulations on a successful hunt. Have you had a chance to see what kind of damage that 40 gr. Nosler BT did to the hide? I know my 40 gr. Nosler BT load really makes red mist out of prairie dogs, but I haven't tried them on coyotes yet.

Thanks for the story and the photos.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Looks pretty cold to me!!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Good Job! Hunting in the snow. Nice looking country.
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

I've shot several coyotes with that 40 grain BT and all but one had very small entry and exit holes. By small I mean maybe the diameter of a pencil on exit (at the most). I did shoot one earlier this year at about 200 yds that involved a little wind drift that ended up hitting low on the abdomen and dropped her guts out the bottom (not pretty). I haven't hit any major bones and I haven't had any surface splashes either....yet.

That being said, I'm working up the ever-popular 39 gr Sierra Blitzking HP with H4895 right now. I've loaded up five shots of varying powder charges but still need to get to the range to test them. Hopefully I can do a little of that this upcoming weekend.

Thanks for the comments guys. Happy hunting!

DarkNight
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Nice story and pictures DarkNight way to go.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

:eek: There for a minute I thought he was on your truck when you shot him!!!!!!! Good thing I read the rest of your well written & nicely detailed post huh?? :lol:

Congrats on everything DN!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
tawnoper

Post by tawnoper »

I've had similar experiences as DarkNight with the 40gr BT, it has become my go to bullet in the .204 for Coyotes. This year I've shot about 2 dozen coyotes with the Noslers and depending on how they were hit, most were as described...tiny exit (see pics) . After all the reading I did I tried the 35gr Bergers first, they shot probably the best groups from my gun but after shooting around a dozen coyotes with them I really wasn't too impressed. Next up I tried the 39gr BK. These too shot very well from my gun. I took them to the field and shot about 6 coyotes with them...they were more inconsistent in results. At least for me, if a coyote was hit directly in the chest or ribs it worked reasonably well, the few I hit at angles while a coyote was quartering usually got tore up. The last one was hit @ 150yd...hit the ground, got up and took off and required a follow up. Bullet really splashed. (see pic) Last I tried the Noslers and have been happy with them. They don't group as well out of my gun, but they shoot plenty well for coyotes.

40gr BT Exit.

Top coyote exit, bottom entrance.

39gr BK Splash
DarkNight

Post by DarkNight »

tawnoper-
I'm curious about that first picture with the exit coming out the back of his neck. Were you shooting up at the coyote or was it just a chest shot that deflected upward? Inquiring minds want to know :mrgreen:
Glen

Post by Glen »

Nicely done tawnoper!!

What are your feelings/impressions on the Bandit??

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
tawnoper

Post by tawnoper »

DarkNight wrote:tawnoper-
I'm curious about that first picture with the exit coming out the back of his neck. Were you shooting up at the coyote or was it just a chest shot that deflected upward? Inquiring minds want to know :mrgreen:
Actually it isnt coming out it's neck, it's coming out just above the shoulder. I believe the coyote was slightly angled away from me, shot hit him right behind the shoulder on the opposite side. Here is another pic of it, exit is just two a clock from the objective. I spread the fur for the first pic.

Last edited by tawnoper on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tawnoper

Post by tawnoper »

Glen wrote:Nicely done tawnoper!!

What are your feelings/impressions on the Bandit??
Thanks Glen.

I'm real happy with the M1. I like the size and easy to carry, also like the remote. It's got plenty of volume for most days. If you need a little extra punch on a windy day I plug in the TOA speaker but for most days that isn't necessary.

Glen

Post by Glen »

Thats good to hear. I almost bought a Bandit but for the money I went with the FX3. I got more crow sounds from FP plus plenty of volume as it sets. No extra speaker needed. But I'll tell you this,,, the M1 package with the remote decoy gave that FX3 a run for it's money!! My wife finally said "order something dammit!!" :lol: I guess the way to a new e-caller is thru the wives nerves!! :lol: :wink: Nice kitty too!! :wink:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
spur

Post by spur »

Great post.

Thanks for the results with the 40 nbt. I have only used the 35 berger on coyotes and it has done very well in my opinion. The drawback is the poor ballistic coef. I will be trying the nbt in the near future.
Has anyone tried the 32 nbt on coyotes. If it holds together as well as the 40 it should work well.

TAWNOPER,
Is that a CZ I see in the picture?
Don't you like the way that rifle carries and handles for calling situations?
That rifle has become my favoite for long hikes. Mine shoots in the .5's with the 32's and the 35 Berger. The 40's are more like 1-1.2" Still good enough for a calling rifle.
Some promising powders I havn't tried with the 40's yet. Hoping to get some improvement.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Good going DarkNight, my in-laws live in Champaign.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.