An 8 Coyote weekend

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

An 8 Coyote weekend

Post by Melvin Eades »

I had an unbelievable past weekend and wanted to share it with all of you. It's long so bear with me.

I took last Friday off to take care of some business and during the day we got a good 3” of snow. When I got home around 3:30 the skies had cleared and I thought I would go out and see if I could get a coyote. I went to one of my favorite spots and got set up in a fencerow and waited. I’ve had better luck at this location sitting and watching than trying to call. There were deer in the field from the time I got there until I shot a coyote coming across the field just about dark. It was walking casually broadside to me at 92 yards. I gave a couple lip squeaks and it stopped to look my way. Dropped him in his tracks. I was shooting my 22-250 to see how my new loads with the 50 Gr. V-Max’s would perform. Normally I’d be carrying my CZ 527 Varmint in .204.

The next morning was clear with a full moon and in the low 20’s. I went to one of my other favorite places and got set up before the first hint of daylight and waited. I figured I’d wait till good light before I started calling. The moon was still in the sky and it was about 15 minutes before the sun came up when a pair of coyotes came up along the far side of the bottom headed for some brush straight across from me. The lead coyote stopped to smell around and I took the shot at 186 yards. I heard the distinct “whack” of the 50 gr. V-Max hitting home. Both coyotes ran into the brush. I sat quietly and in about 10 minutes the other one came out where the first one had been when I shot it. I had my monopod instead of my shooting sticks, lesson learned. I shot and missed. The coyote started running back to the south. I gave a mouth bark and it stopped and looked my way. I shot it at 192 yards and it took off running back to the south. I watched it run down to the end of the field and stop and lay down.

I sat for another 20 minutes and then made my way across the bottom to check out the first coyote. I found this where the first coyote was standing when I shot it.

I tracked the coyote through the brush and found it in the edge of the field behind the brush. I hit it a little low, darn monopod.

I then made my way down to the other coyote. It made it about 250 yards before it gave up the fight.

As I was heading back up to where I had been sitting, I spotted something at the north end of the field a little over 800 yards away. I looked through the binoculars and saw it was another pair of coyotes.
I stood still and watched as they went behind a hill in the field between us. I figured I’d get back to my spot and see if I could call them in. I walked back up to the road way and just as I headed back east, they appeared again heading back to the east also. They saw me or thought they saw something strange.
I had my snow camo jacket on and my regular camo bibs. I think at that distance they may have thought I was another coyote. They stopped and sat looking at me. The range finder said it was 623 yards to them.

By this time the sun was up and about an hour later and I’m standing out in the open. They started giving me challenge barks and then went into a complete serenade. Another group of coyotes chimed in back off to the northwest over the hill. Finally after what seemed like a 15 minute stand off, they turned to each other and one of them started dogging the other one. I started to walk slowly and they turned their attention to me again. They again started challenge barking at me and started my way. I didn’t want to get caught in the open so I started doing the foot shuffle so it wouldn’t look like a human walking.
The only thing I can figure is the difference in camo broke up my outline as a human. I had about 60 yards to get to the edge of the brush. I finally made it and they had closed the gap to about 450 yards.
They again started throwing challenge barks at me so I started barking back with a hand call. They didn’t like this and started coming again and swinging to my left toward a hillside in the field. If you look close, you can see the dead coyotes on the hillside.

They stopped on the hillside and kept barking. I decided I would be quiet and see if curiosity would bring them closer. They gave up scolding me and the one started dogging the other one.
This whole thing has lasted about 30 minutes up till now. They stopped what they were doing and turned and started to walk up the hill. I gave a couple lip squeaks and they both stopped and looked back. I dropped the male in his tracks at 214 yards. The female started running up the hill so I gave a mouth bark and she stopped and looked back. I dropped her at 243 yards. Here's a better picture zoomed in.

I picked up the coyotes and headed home. To say the morning was unbelievable would be an under statement. The sun was so bright off the snow I couldn't keep my eyes open for the picture. The coyote 3rd from left weighed 39 lbs.

A few things I realized that morning,
1) Only use a monopod when I don’t have my shooting sticks.
2) The safety on the Savage 12FV is hard to work with a thick glove on.
3) Take the CZ .204 the next time so I can watch the hits through the scope.
4) The 50 gr. V-Max has nothing on the .204 shooting the 39 gr. Sierra B.K.

Sat. afternoon Lucas and I went out to the place I’d shot the coyote the evening before to see if we could get another one. Lucas was carrying my CZ .204 and I had my Savage 12FV in 22-250. Lucas sat in the same location I was the evening before and I cut down through a pasture to watch the lower side of the woods where there was a dead animal the coyotes had been feeding on.
As I slowly rounded the side of the hill near the bottom, I saw several deer out in a field ahead of me.

I had just finished taking some pictures when I turned around and looked behind me to see a coyote come up out of the creek out in a big bottom about 300 yards out. The coyote looked bad even at this distance. It looked like no hair on its tale and its body was very thin. I quickly got set up and ranged the end of the fencerow it was heading for and got 274 yards. I figured the coyote would hit the fence line and head my way. When it got to the fence, it turned and headed toward me. About half way to me the coyote crossed the fence and continued coming. When it cleared a thorn bush out in front of me I shot it at 82 yards. It’s the first mangy coyote I’ve ever seen around here.

I moved on up to the top of the hill I was planning on sitting and took in the view. About 700 yards across the bottom there were turkeys and deer feeding along the hill side.

Zoomed in for a better look. Notice the deer in the lower left and upper right of the picture.

About a half hour before dark I did some howling but didn’t see anything. Just as it was getting in the last minutes to see and shoot, a coyote came out of the woods 86 yards from Lucas and he shot it.

The next morning I got up and found out it was snowing. I went out and walked a half mile down to a creek bottom and didn’t call anything in. Around 3:00 in the afternoon I went to a new place I had just recently gotten permission to hunt. I had never been on this property so I pulled up some aerial photos on the computer to see the lay of the land.
I found what appeared to be a small field along the main draw running through this property. The wind was coming in from the SW so I came in from the NE and sneaked into the field and set the FoxPro in the grass along the north edge. I sat up toward the top of the hill by the field just below sky line so I wouldn’t stand out.

I started the FoxPro up on the Jack Rabbit distress and in about 30 seconds I saw something moving in the brush across the creek as it crossed the remaining patches of snow. It was a coyote so I immediately shut the FoxPro off. The coyote stopped at the edge of the creek and looked for what was making the noise. I gave a couple lip squeaks and the coyote dove off into the creek. It came up on my side and stopped to look around. I dropped it on the spot with a 39 gr. Sierra out of my CZ .204. It was a male and weighed 37.5 lbs.

This past weekend was an adventure I may never experience again. I hope you enjoyed my story, I sure enjoyed living it!

ME
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: An 8 Coyote weekend

Post by huntsman22 »

I'm glad that I am not a coyote, in your area..........They don't stand much of a chance. I'll bet the ones there, are glad you don't hunt EVERY day..........Don
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Melvin, thanks for sharing your couple days of hunting and all the pictures with us. It sure looks like you put the hurt on them coyotes. Witch foxpro are you useing there? Thats some bad news if your starting to see mangy coyotes around by you. Well good luck on your cotote hunting any ways.
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

Lee,
It's a 416B.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Post by DarkNight »

Melvin,
The pictures and the story were great! It sounds like you have a few coyotes chewing on that dead cow.......or at least there used to be! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Another great story Melvin!! I've only seen about 15 coyotes here period!!

But shot 2 of em!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Njanear
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF

Post by Njanear »

Very cool weekend! Thanks for sharing. 8)
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Melvin,

I'm not sure where you had them doggies tied up at when I was there, but you got some explaining to do. :D Good Job, you'll have more days like that just be patient and keep after them. You just experience all of our dreams and then made us feel like we were there with your great story telling. I'm officially ready for it to warm up and can't wait until you and Lucas come out Turkey and Prairie Doggin. Talk to ya real soon, and great job again.

Dave
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
thepenguin
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by thepenguin »

Thank you for sharing your hunt. What a great story and pics.

I just picked up a savage 12fv just like yours in 223. I would like to change the stock on it and get a scope for it. What stock is on yours and what scope is that on there?

I'm from Utah and your pics look like a piece of heaven on earth. Never been back that way, looks beatiful!

Thanks

Jeremy
Melvin Eades

Post by Melvin Eades »

First off Jeremy, welcome to the board. There is a wealth of info on this board from people with first hand experience that are willing to share with you so ask and post away.

If your 12FV shoots like mine you'll be very pleased with it. I put a B&C Duramaxx stock on mine purchased from Midway when they were on sale for $99.00. It was like having a new gun with the appearance and feel of the stock. Here's a closer look at mine.

The scope is a 6-24 Bushnell Elite 4200. It's a good scope but it's tight on eye relief compared to the Nikon Buck Master I have on my CZ .204. I have another Elite on my Sav. 12 VLP and it's great when shooting prairie dogs or paper. The Nikon is a 4.5-14 and works great for coyote hunting and still is enough power for 400 yard shots on prairie dogs. If I were to do it over, I don't know that I would buy the Elite's just because of the eye relief.

As for your comment on our terrain around here, I agree with you, but I look at the pictures that Rick post of Oregon and Silverfox in North Dakota and others from around the country and think, man, I'd love to be able to hunt there.

Back in 1977, a friend and I went Elk hunting in SW Colorado. We were awe struck by the scenery. We met a couple guys from the area and one of them had traveled to IL. in the past. He was talking about how nice it was to see all the flat cornfields that seem to just go on and on. My friend and I looked at each other and thought, what's he thinking while living in these beautiful mountains.
I guess we sometimes don't realize what's around us when we've grown up in it and other places look so different.
Anyway, I hope this helps you in your choices so tell us how it works out and post some pictures. We like pictures.

thepenguin
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by thepenguin »

Thanks Melvin.

I found that stock on Midway and I'm planning on ordering it soon. I think I'm going to put a Nikon 4.5-14 on it. That should be just right for what I want to do with it.

It's funny about seeing and wanting to hunt new types of country. My buddies and I are always talking about how we would like to try and bag a big whitetail buck. And we go out of state birdhunting where we see them and talk to the residents and landowners and they tell us how they would like to hunt big muley bucks. Kind of intresting anyways.

I'll try and report back as soon as I get everything put together and take it to the range.

Jeremy
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Unbelievable Melvin. It's those times that will keep you out in the woods for years to come. I don't care where you are, 8 coyotes in a weekend is great. Awesome write-up!
Nice going!!!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

Amazing! Great story, great pics and great weekend!
furhntr
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527 varmint

Post by furhntr »

Awesome story and great pics. It would take me three years to shoot eight coyotes here in Mi. I'm jealous.....