Feb 22 success

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Feb 22 success

Post by DarkNight »

I had to go up to NW Illinois this weekend and decided to make a stand just north of my wife's house. I drove around the section and saw A LOT of tracks going into the section on the east side of the road. This timber is across the road from where I got another coyote earlier in the season. There is a ravine that snakes through the south end of the timber that looked promising so I set up so I could see into the bottom of that ravine as well as downwind into the open grassy field.
It was about 4:45 pm when I began calling. The breeze was very light and was blowing my scent into that grassy field to my right. I set up sitting against a small tree in a way that my rifle would be pointed toward the ravine on my left and did some high-pitched peeps on a Faulk's squirrel distress mouthcall. I waited about 2 minutes and then did some squeals on the same call. I panned my eyes down into the ravine and as my eyes were scanning back to the right I realized there were FOUR coyotes about 70ish yards directly in front of me!!! Total calling time was probably only about 7 minutes! I watched them for a few seconds as I slowly moved the rifle into shooting position. Two of the coyotes acted like they wanted to head into that ravine below me, one of them was standing with her chest pointed toward me, and one of them acted really nervous and kept looking out into that grassy field on my downwind side.
I put the crosshairs on the one that had her chest pointed at me and squeezed. She dropped in her tracks.
Here is a picture I took of her from my stand...

I did some pup yelps with the hopes of getting at least one more to return. I then fell silent and after a little bit I switched to a different distress call. Nobody decided to come back for an encore appearance ;)

I walked over and took this picture as I got closer..

This picture is taken from where the coyote layed, back toward my stand location. If you look closely above that curved blade of grass in the center of the picture, you can see my white facemask hanging from the tree I was sitting at..

Here is a picture of the entry wound. The bullet never exited.

Here's a posed picture that I will send to the landowner with a short thank-you note. In the background is the grassy field I mentioned that was on my downwind side. After walking over to where the coyotes were standing, I realized why the one coyote was getting a little nervous. It could see my truck parked across the road at the bottom of this grassy hillside.

Thanks for looking,
DarkNight
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: Feb 22 success

Post by huntsman22 »

Nothing as purty as a dead dog in the light of the setting sun......
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Way to go Darknight, Great pictures and nice shooting on your part.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Nice lookin coyote!! Good to see it laying there so peaceful like!! Congrats!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen