Close encounter coyote.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Close encounter coyote.

Post by Melvin Eades »

I went out to one of my favorite places yesterday morning well before daylight and set up where I had shot coyotes in the past. The temperature was 34 degrees, but the 20-25 mph north wind made it a lot colder. Just as it was getting light enough to see across the field, a doe came into the field at the far end and started feeding. She had been out there for a while when she looked back to the east and I saw a coyote had just come into the field and was watching her. I got on the distress and watched the coyote through the scope as I blew 4 times. The coyote looked my way and then as I raised my head from the scope, another coyote came running in on my right at about 15 yards looking out in the field for the sound. Apparently it couldn't pin point the sound due to the wind.
It was quartering away from me and I shot it behind the last rib at about 20 yards . It was a good size male but I didn't want to pick it up to weigh it because of mange. This is the second coyote in this area I've shot with mange this year. I hope this isn't going to be a common thing. I was shooting my CZ 527 Varmint with 39 gr. Sierra's, no exit.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Close encounter coyote.

Post by glenn asher »

Gooooood shooting as always, Melvin! Good call on leaving the mangy one lie, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Close encounter coyote.

Post by dancindave89 »

Excellent, take it from a Nebraskan. Kill them mangy ones and get rid of them. Some say other coyotes if they find one dead like that will sometimes lay down and rub against them. Don't know if its true, but around here they will take them and burn them.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener