Best factory 204 load for yotes?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
stxhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: none :(

Best factory 204 load for yotes?

Post by stxhunter »

I just got my CZ 204 and topping it with a Bushnell elite 4200. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but I bought a box of 34 grain winchester JHP, a box of Federal 39 grain sierras, and a box of 40 grain Hornady v-max. I didn't realize till I got home that the winchesters were lubolax coated. I have never shot a lubolax round before, is there anything I need to know? I have heard the V-max may have a little "splash" effect resulting in wounded rather than dead coyotes. In general what round would you guys recommend for coyotes?
crashcarruthers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Kevlar

Re: Best factory 204 load for yotes?

Post by crashcarruthers »

The 39 grain Sierra Federal, if your gun likes them. My CZ loves them.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

32gr v-max
stxhunter

Post by stxhunter »

I think I'm going to go with the Federal 39 grain sierras, they shot pretty good! Two shots almost in the same hole, the thrid I think I pulled a little low. The Federals and the Winchesters shot the best. The Hornady 40grs didnt group nearly as well at around 1" MOA. Typically this group would suffice but considering the other ammo oferings groupped better thats what I will be going with. By the way there was no keyholing in the 40gr ammo.
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

I myself was in the same boat this past year. I ended up trying the 34gr Win Jhp and the 32gr Vmax. The first few outings I tried the 34gr Win. I managed to shoot one coyote with it, a trotting broadside shot at about 90 yards. It put the coyote down quick with shot placement just behind the right front leg. I did end up shooting it twice though, (the second time when it was on the ground and kinda moving his head up and down...I shouldn't have though). At any rate there was a small hole, maybe quarter size or slightly smaller but looked like both shots went out right next to each other, thus maybe one shot would have only caused a nickel or dime size exit?

the next few coyotes I shot were all shot with the 32gr vmax. Shot placement was not the best on any of them. I did have a couple that were intersesting though, one due to not enough lead and a fierce cross wind (20 mph+), it hit the back of both back legs and it did put the coyote down for me to dispatch it. Another one was a walking shot where as I squeezed the yote was in the motion of bringing his right leg back and the bullet clipped this leg and still had enough to enter the chest cavity and put the yote down with hardly a kick, because it hit a leg bone going in it did make a fist size hole just below his front leg but shot placement was at fault.

All in all I think any of these two bullets will do for yote hunting it just takes some practice to get the shot where you want it.
stxhunter

Post by stxhunter »

Have you used any of the larger bullets such as 39gr sierras or 40gr bergers?
walleyeman
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American

Post by walleyeman »

No not as of yet. The largest bullet that I used was the 34gr Win jhp. I do plan on trying the 45gr Hornady SP but did not have a chance this past coyote hunting season. I was told by a nimber of individuals that these 45's perform much like the Bergers.