New Land--Scouting Trip and Coyote Calling Story--Pics Too!!

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

New Land--Scouting Trip and Coyote Calling Story--Pics Too!!

Post by Silverfox »

I loaded up my ATV and got going west out of Williston at 2:05 p.m. on Friday, April 25, 2008. I arrived at my destination and parked the rig by an abandoned shack, got the ATV unloaded and all my gear ready and started riding north at about 2:50 p.m. The wind was from the wrong direction for calling on my first stand, but I called there anyway. I just wanted to see the lay of the land up there and if a coyote came in, that would be a bonus. There were no takers after 30 minutes on stand. I rode back to the pickup and trailer and loaded the ATV up to haul it up to the bench land up above this low land. I have standing orders from this rancher to shoot any and all coyotes I see, regardless of the time of the year. He has lost several calves to coyotes and I try to abide by my landowner's wishes.

I found a low spot to park the rig and unloaded the ATV and got my rifle and backpack on the ATV and headed north on the rough prairie trail. I rode in about a mile and stopped to make a calling stand. The wind was still out of the SE. I set up so I would be calling and looking up a long, deep draw to the SE. I called for 25 minutes and nothing came in. I hiked back to the ATV, cased my rifle, got it fastened onto the rifle holders, and headed north on the rough trail again. There were some hairy places to ride through, with cedar tree branches overhanging the narrow trail, huge chunks of petrified tree stumps jutting up out of the trail, and deep ruts that looked like they could swallow you up! I did manage to stop once in awhile and I think I found many good places to call coyotes from come fur season next fall.

I kept going up, and up, and up, until I came to a gate at the top of the hill. I stopped, opened it up, rode through, and then closed the gate behind me. I was up on the top of the bench land and the trail headed off in a westerly direction. It was a magnificent view (SORRY, no photos--someone might recognize the place). Once again, I was finding all kinds of places that would be good for calling coyotes depending on the direction the wind was blowing. I was tempted to stop in several places to call again, but decided to keep riding to get more scouting time in. The trail began to head back to the north and finally, around 6:15 p.m., I spotted an odd looking hill to the north. I checked the wind and it had switched and was now coming from the west northwest!! The odd hill I had spotted was covered with sandstone rocks and I was hoping there would be a spot on the northwest side that I could call from. I parked the ATV in a low spot about 500 yards from the rock covered hill and walked in. Here’s the hill looking to the NE.

I walked around to the NW side of the hill, set the FX5 on my homemade tripod and climbed up the hill and sat among the rocks with my shooting sticks deployed. The FX5 was about 50 yards from my hiding spot. Here's a photo of FX5 looking to the NE.

I had my rifle up on my shooting sticks with the barrel pointed to the NW. I threw a little dirt up into the air to check the wind again—still from the WNW—very strange, since it had been blowing from the SE all day? I started the FX5 on the Female Invitation Howls and had only been calling for about a minute when I spotted a coyote coming in from the east. I quickly switched the FX5 to Preset #3 which is the Goldfinch Distress sound on volume setting 15. The coyote stopped and seemed to be looking for the coyote she heard howling or for the distressed bird. She started walking toward me again and that’s when I took my rifle out of the shooting sticks very slowly and moved over to a big rock to my right that I could rest my arms on to make the shot on this coyote. I got the scope on the coyote and held the rifle up off the rock and against my shoulder with my left hand and made the awkward reach with my right hand to crank the power ring on the scope up to 18 power. I wanted to try to get this coyote stopped and take the shot soon because she would soon be getting into my scent cone. I kept the coyote in the crosshairs, and barked sharply two times. The coyote slowed way down, but did not stop completely, so I decided I better take the shot even though she was still moving. I squeezed off the shot—WHAP!!!—she dropped like a sack of rocks. I changed the FX5 to my Preset #1, which is the Wounded Coyote Screams. I checked my watch and noted I had been on the stand for only 2 minutes and 30 seconds!! I let the wounded coyote sound play for about three or four minutes.

Nothing was coming in, so I switched back to the Female Invitation Howl for about 5 howls and then changed the sound to the DSG Cottontail Distress. I had a couple of golden eagles flying overhead, but they didn’t attempt to pick up my FX5. I threw in some Male Challenge Howls once in awhile and stayed on stand for a total of 20 minutes. I couldn’t stand waiting any longer to see what sex this coyote was. So, I set my rifle up on my shooting sticks and went down to retrieve the FX5 and snapped several photos of my rifle up amongst the rocks. Even with the arrow pointing out the rifle and sticks, it is hard to see.

Maybe you can see it in this photo?

I took a few photos looking at the coyote from behind the rifle again to give you the shooter’s perspective. Here’s a photo with a wide angle view from behind the rifle. To take this photo, I deployed the bipod legs and set the rifle up on the rock I used to rest my arms on when I took the shot. The coyote is the white spot right above the black Velcro dot at the end of the rifle barrel. I used my Leica 1200 Rangefinder and determined the distance of the shot was only 100 yards.

I walked toward the coyote to get a look at exactly where I had hit this coyote, since it was moving right straight towards me when squeezed off the shot. When I got about 50 feet away, I stopped to snap a couple more photos and I thought I could see a rock that had some red moss or lichens on it lying in front of the coyote’s nose. It looks like a dark spot in the photo below and is located about 2 feet from the coyote’s nose.

Continued in next post below here:
Last edited by Silverfox on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Part II of Silverfox's Outing---1st Photo Has Blood!!!

Post by Silverfox »

Well, the red color I saw wasn’t a rock with red lichens on it; it was actually blood from the coyote. The coyote was lying with her head quite a bit lower than the rest of her body and she was bleeding out her mouth and it flowed down the hill. When I got closer, I could see exactly where I had hit the coyote—RIGHT IN THE NOSE just in front of her left eye!!! The bullet passed through the nose, broke the jaw bone, continued into the throat area and on into the front of the chest cavity in the heart and lung area. No wonder she went down like a ton of rocks!

This coyote was a dry female and she showed no signs of being in heat either. I’d guess she was a yearling and probably scouting around for a boyfriend.

I snapped a few more photos and wouldn’t you know it, one of those photos is the obligatory HERO PHOTO. These photos seem to appear by magic when I upload them from the camera to my computer :wink:

Here’s a photo of the coyote with my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger. I was using my 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullets again. Once more, the 39 gr. Sierra did its job well.

When I was on my way back up to my ATV, I stopped on the south side of the big rocky hill I had been on and snapped a few photos of it. This hill really stands out as unique compared to all the other hills around here. There were no other hills that had outcroppings of this sandstone type rock. All the other hills were devoid of rocks!

I continued my walk back to the ATV. I decided I should take a photo or two of the trusty steed that had brought me way out onto the prairie, 3½ miles from where my pickup and trailer were parked—this is land without another human being for many, many miles in all directions. Now, I had to hope it would take me back to my rig.

The “stuff” on the back deck of the ATV is some tan leafy German Army surplus camo I purchased from Sportsman’s Guide. I think these camo covers were about 10 feet wide by 20 feet long and not quite wide enough to cover the whole ATV. I bought two of them and fastened them together and made a 20 foot square cover. Now, I can use it to cover the ATV if I can’t find a good spot to hide it, or, if necessary, I can try calling right from the ATV.

I made the trip back to my pickup OK, loaded the ATV onto the trailer and tied it down and headed back home. As usual, my loving wife had supper ready to heat up for me when I got in the house. I’m glad I had the chance to scout this territory. I’ll be ready to set up on some of the places I scoped out when fur season comes around this fall.

Hope you all enjoyed my little scouting and coyote calling trip.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: New Land--Scouting Trip and Coyote Calling Story--Pics Too!!

Post by Glen »

We look forward to your writeups!! :wink:

Another well done writeup. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Ditto on what Glen said. Great story and pictures too. Keep them coming. I really enjoy them. :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

DarkNight
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP, Custom White Oaks AR-15 .204 Ruger

Post by DarkNight »

Silverfox-

Nice post! I like those pictures of rough-ground as far as the eye can see. It looks like it's a hundred miles to the next road!

DarkNight :yeah: