Varmint Hunting - What put the bug in you?

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Varmint Hunting - What put the bug in you?

Post by acloco »

In speaking with an old friend of the family, I was reminded of how I got my start in the never ending quest of varmint hunting.

I have two older brothers that would "let" me go along on some of their varminting excursions. After my Grandmother Helen from Ohio would visit, I was LOADED with money (at least, I thought so). She did not like Eisenhower and always saved the Ike dollars for me. Well, gas was 29 cents a gallon, pepsi is 10 cents a bottle, and 100 round packages of Winchester 22 LR was 69 cents per 100. For three Ike dollars, we would put 5 gallons of gas in a 1965 Plymouth Valiant 4 door (slant six, three on the tree, blue 4 door sedan - I knew you needed to know this!!!), a couple bottles of coke or pepsi, and a couple hundred rounds of 22 shells.

We were prepared to go by noon on Saturday (or any day during the summer months) with a Remington nylon 66, another 22 bolt action rifle with a folding front forearm and clip fed (I have no clue what brand of rifle this is - it left with one of my older brothers), and a Hi Standard over/under deringer (the most inaccurate pistol ever made - I still have it!).

The Remington was a semi auto, so we would only load 3 or 4 shells at a time, to save ammo of course. The bolt action was very accurate as well. For some reason, we always thought is was more accurate when the forearm was in the down position. Looking back now, I think it was because the rifle looked cool and we tried harder to hit our shots when the rifle was in the "looking cool" mode. The deringer was something else. Loud, fire spitting, lead spitting, ear splitting, and always burned the hair off of your knuckles when you shot it. Mom could always tell when we snuck that puppy out of the house, but we never knew how she could tell. (maybe the smell of burnt hair and powder residue around the fingers??? - mom's know everything) Did you know that you can blow up a red ant hill with a 22 deringer? Not only are the ants biting you now, but it IS possible to start a fire deep in the ground by firing a 22 into a large anthill.

After moving to a ranch (mom remarried), I thought my world had crashed. 50 miles...from NO WHERE! ..literally!

Pellet gun worked ok, until I wore out the air pump system. Finally, my step dad gave in and let me use the 22 out of the ranch 4x4. Woohoo! I am on my way again. Kind of different shooting a peep site on a Remington bolt action with a cracked stock, but I learned how to hold the rifle without getting my hand pinched by the split everytime I shot it. Ammo was definitely not in abundance at the ranch 50 miles from no where either. By the end of day two, I was OUT! 100 rounds and 97 prairie dogs were pushing up daisies in the sky. Step dad did not believe me and would not give me any more bullets. So, the next time I went to town, which seemed like forever, I bought an entire BRICK!!!! Then the gun was taken away because I shot too much.

We moved back to town after the lease on the ranch expired and I was able to buy MY first rifle. Mr Ruger 10/22 was my new friend. Living a little over a mile from town has it's benefits. One of them....PRAIRIE DOGS! By this time, my little brother was 6 years old and, for some reason, liked to tag along with me on the "walkabouts" over the hills. We had a favorite spot where we could sneak behind a huge boulder that overlooked a small valley with a flat floor and the boulder provided a large flat to shoot from. Shots ranged from 20 yards to over 200. That wideview Redfield scope was something else. We easily shot 15,000 rounds out of that 10/22 over a couple of summers. In the pictures I posted in another thread, I think the circle is continuing and I am proud to be a participant!!!!!

So, do tell, what got you started?

My little brother on the right holding my first Savage. 12FV single shot in 223 1:9 twist.
Picture taken in Montana along the Marias River.

Guy M

Re: Varmint Hunting - What put the bug in you?

Post by Guy M »

My buddy had a ranch... He raised cattle and ground squirrels. I liked to help with the ground squirrels... :D
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

As far back as I can remember, I've always been interested on 'small target' shooting.....

Probably because my grandfather raised seven kids during the depression and taught me to shoot by setting up wooden kitchen matches in a railroad tie outside our back door and trying to get me to light them with .22 shorts... He also taught me how to quail hunt with a .22.... just in case I ever had to feed my family like he did...with no money....

Anyway, as I started getting older and realized that my handgun competition days were coming to an end due to decreased eyesight and reflexes.....Strange how that happens........and the younger shooters started calling me "Pops" or "Gramps"...... I figured it was time to start looking at more relaxing forms of shooting....

Coincidentally, that was about the time a friend of mine popped up with access to about 75.000 acres of Colorado ranch land that was populated with Prairie Dogs and open access to pursue them.....Needless to say, trying to hit those dogs at long distances brought back the same pleasure as being able to light one of those old kitchen matches.... :lol: :lol:
AR
Factory/Factory
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

In 1973 My dad moved to Bend Oregon from Eugene. Now late winter and early spring in Eugene OR. were wet and fogy. So when we went over to Bend and it was warm sunny and all these little squirrels were running crazy all over the place and the ranches wanted them thinned down. I thought I was in heaven. I was 16 years old and had a Renalt 10 a little french car that could get any where from 32 to 43 miles to the gallon with gas at 32 cents a gallon. The Bi Mart store had 22 shells on sale for $5 dollars a brick of 500. The neighbor kid who I joined up with had one of those 22 auto loading rifles that had the fold down stock it was a Mossberg I believe.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

My Dad on groundhogs & tree squirrels here in Ohio.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Racr350 »

Ever since my dad was 16 and got his first long range rifle dedicated for 250+ yd Woodchuck shots (a Remington 700 BDL in .243) he's been a Varmint Assasain. So of course when i was finally old enough to go out with him, he bought me my first gun, a Savage 93FV in .22 Mag that i could pop chucks with out to about 150 yds . As a graduation present last year, along with a few other things, he got me a real varmint machine. A Remington 700 SPS Varmint in of course... .204. So I guess the bug was just passed down to me. My brother just turned 13 so he just got his first gun. Im sure he's about to be bit just as hard as me. My dad got him a Savage 17 HMR BTVS. I feel like HIS first gun was a littttle bit better then mine. :?
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

My son met this guy called "Rick in Oregon" on a plane and started to go shooting with him, I got invited and as they say the rest is history. :D Teaching Skippy to jump is the most fun you can have with your cloths on! Thanks Rick! You da man! Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No problem Gary (Captqc), glad to help with the perversion. My wife tells me I must be an expensive guy to hang out with, as my friends wives all tell her that, as it seems their husbands always need new rifles and cool stuff to go with them. I claim innocence.......I was born with a rifle nearby (really!). :lol:

To keep in tune with this thead, let's just say my family had a working ranch/hunting lodge in the interior of British Columbia, my dad and his four brothers were all guides and wranglers. I was born into a rifle family, have hunted and shot varmints my entire life, so it's just been a progression of rifles, calibers, and critters for as long as I can remember. Except for two tours in RVN, I've hunted every season (except the last one :? ) since I was old enough to hold a rifle, and don't plan to quit any time soon. It's the stuff of life! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Having a little experience with three wives and several years, I can tell you that "Guy" toys are no more expensive or useless that some of the "Gal" things...
My wife tells me I must be an expensive guy to hang out with, as my friends wives all tell her that, as it seems their husbands always need new rifles and cool stuff to go with them. I claim innocence...... :lol:
With the first one, it was shoes and her hobby stuff.....The second was designer clothes and accessories, and this one is her "craft" and art supplies as well as having three freezers and a whole room of food stuffs that we may never eat... :eew:

At least I only have one 21 year old motorcycle in the garage, I don't trade cars every two years, and while I collect bourbons, I don't drink to excess or spend my time in bars.... :hic: ... So what's the problem with a few guns and related items..... :roll:
AR
Factory/Factory
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Old Turtle: Answer......NOTHING AT ALL! :!:

Really though, in mentioning wives, I'm very fortunate, as having a wife (No.3 also) that is the purchasing agent for a large bullet company, having accompanied me for over two decades on prairie dog and squirrel trips, she not only 'talks the talk', but walks the walk too, even though she's never drawn blood in her entire life. She understands "our needs", goes with the flow pretty darn well, and can name bullet diameters by caliber, ojives, tip styles, weights and boat tails with the best of them. I think I'll keep this one!

Her hobbies: Her BMW 3-Series and me! Talk about lucky.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I grew up on a farm in SE Saskatchewan so I had many acres of pasture to shoot our local gopher right out the back door.

I honestly don't know where I got the Gun Nut genes from cause, like any farm there were a couple guns around, but only used to get rid of predators or the occasional afternoon spent gopher shooting if a recent rain prevented field work repairs in the shop were caught up. To Dad, Uncle and Grandpa it was a tool, no more exciting than a 7/8" wrench but I would sneak into my Uncles basement and just stare at his old beat up .22 (all the other guns were hidden).

With enough pestering I got a pellet gun at age 11 and punched paper, tin cans and the odd unlucky sparrow. I would also stalk the pigeons from hay shed to grain bin to machinery shed seeing the odd feathers but only once getting kill, (and this was not so much fun, even vermin deserve a clean kill). Then my grandfather gave me an old .22 Rabbit that was held to the stock with yellow duck tape, I wouldn't be happier today if was given a Holland & Holland double rifle. I finally had the power to actually do something but after heavy casualties the gophers became wary and I could not approach closer than 75 yards, thus began the idea of a true varmint rifle. I dreamt of a .22 Hornet, and other exotics such as the 218 Bee or 219 Donaldson Wasp that I read about in Gun Digest, but Dad was a frugal farmer and reached his limit when he got me a .308 Win for deer. It was very loud and too expensive for blasting skippy, (but ohhh the effect when you hit)

However life moved on and I left the farm to begin a welding trade and I wasn't able to hunt and did very little shooting for several years. After completing my trade I then went to college for a couple years of engineering. The first real money I got was a $2000 scholarship and I went and bought my .204, and a Leupold scope and never looked back, the pure joy of seeing Skippy do his gymnastics is unequaled. Even better is the no bag limit, its the best weather of the year to shoot in and the farmers/ranchers are always happy, which really helps when getting permission to hunt big game in the fall.

When I get home for family stuff we still like to go out with the .22 in my "Mobile Shooting Platform".
With the hole in roof, for back seat shooters and windshield out for from seat shooters, we all have a large field of fire and the guys in front are safe. We just drive to a target rich area of the pasture and shoot for several minutes and then move again. With 4 shooters, even with single shot rifles, we would often go through a brick of cartridges each afternoon.

Here is my cousin who is stuck in the city and only gets out to shoot when they come to visit.
We were lucky to have good weather and pasture that had not had the gophers shot for many years, 10-20 yards was the average so my shooters, (2 with some experience and 1 with none) had a great time.

So far I have been prepping about 600 brass so I will be ready for load development for my Shilen barrel when it comes. My Rifle Basix trigger is working great and my chronograph and barrel wrench are at the Post Office as I write. Shooting bench is comming along nicely as I go into work early every day for an hours work on this personal project.

I am pretty sure I have the varminting bug.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

surfclod: We have three things in common....both being welders (how I got my start in engineering), both bitten by the varminting bug, and both Canadians (I'm a naturalized American now).

Thanks for sharing, I'm sure that 204 will be a dandy when it's all done and field ready. Your rats will be in mortal danger. ;)

Let us see that shooting bench when she's done!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I shot a yote in 7th grade while deer hunting, I got real excited about it and got my first .204 for christmas that year. I have been hooked ever since. :D
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

i have been around guns all my life, (lucky me). my dad grew up on a ranch and all of his brothers (6) were all hunters. when i was around 5 or so, i got to shoot my dads old model 62a winchester 22. been hooked ever since. in town i was always shooting birds with my daisy bb gun and i must say i became a pretty good shot. i was introduced to skippy sometime in the 70's, by one of my very good customers. always used my 10/22 up until i bought my 223 in 2002. then in 2006 i bought my 204. so i guess i have been hunting varmints, skippy anyway for 30 or 35 years. and i still love it. btw, i am just a couple years ricks junior, so that gives you an idea of my age! :shock:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

I have always been a shooter/hunter...at least as far back as I can remember. Didn't really get hooked into the prairie dog thing until my older sister married a dryland wheat farmer (he is also a hunter). The first time I visited them on the farm I found out what fun a whole day of shootin pds was. They had/have them all over and so do all the neighbors. Back in the beginning we made do with our big game rifles and an occasional 22 lr rimfire. Now adays we have several dedicated prairie dog rifles, shooting tables, extra binos, chairs, gun rests, e z up canopies, coolers, umbrellas...the whole package.

Rick in O - My wife (#3 also) isn't a gun/bullet nut but she does go with me and she is the best spotter I've ever found. Like yours, mine won't draw blood but she will find them for me.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator