settle this argument for me.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Big Horn Barney
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 VTR 527 CZ varmint .204

settle this argument for me.

Post by Big Horn Barney »

for a .204, what is the prefered bullet for P-dogs? Coyotes? I am sure you have been asked this question many times. A friend tells me that you are wasting your time with 32 grs.I don't believe that. What dogs I have shot with the 32 were blown apart. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a coyote yet but I think one of those in the lungs would end their day. Thanks for your time.
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: settle this argument for me.

Post by BabaOriley »

Welcome Barney,

With some searches like "coyote bullet" or "coyote load" on this and many other sites, you'll get a ton of info. I would recommend reading as much as you can.

Around here, it seems that the 32gr V-Max can work well even on coyotes out to 300 yards, although the flight characteristics of the bullet are not as desirable as some heavier bullets. It seems that a shot that hits bone can break up without penetrating at all and the coyote runs off with only a nasty wound, but they'll live. That seems related to the range and speed of the bullet when it hits. Like 32gr will explode on the surface at over say 3000 fps. I don't think anyone's done any gelatin testing. If it has time to slow down it will penetrate better. On prairie dogs, it doesn't matter apparently, and just rips them to shreds at high speed.

It sounds like the best bullets for penetration with minimal fur damage I've read about on here are the 35gr Berger, and the 39gr Sierra Blitzking, in that order. I think the Sierra may have about the best balance of ballistic coefficient and stopping power for longer range shots. Another heavier bullet I've only heard good things about is the 45gr Hornady, although it's a coinflip whether or not it will keyhole when shot in a 12 twist barrel. The 40gr V-Max seems to work great for many also, but again, it sounds like shot placement may be a consideration.

So 35gr Berger and 39gr Sierra for coyotes, and 32gr as fast as you can make them accurate for prairie dogs. That's what I've learned in here. This summer will be my first with my .204 to take my time at the range and experiment. I've got a bunch of 34gr dogtowns and 40gr Nosler 2nds I'll be working up for prairie dogs, then I'll spend some time working on 39gr Sierras and 45gr Hornadys for coyotes this winter.

What kind of rifle are you loading for?
Big Horn Barney

I am loading for a Rem 700VTR. It has been a nightmare since I got it. First the trigger would jump from 2.5 lbs to 4.5 lbs when ever it felt like changing. I solved that issue with a Rifle Basix trigger. Then it would shoot two shots touching and then throw the third one two to three inches. I thought that was me until a friend of mine who is a past state benchrest champ shot it and it did it for him too. The barrel and stock were touching and as soon as we removed the plastic it started shooting. I settled on a 32 gr VMax with 27.2 grains of Benchmark. In about a month I am going to have a CZ 527 Varminter and the Remington is going bye, bye. I have heard nothing but good about them. I shot one last year and I am impressed with the set trigger. I will let you know how it comes along. I have a Nikon 6x20 scope on it and I am going to put that one on the CZ. If someone is interested in the VTR It wilol be for sale.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Big Horn Barney, I also have a Remington. I was getting slow or delayed fires with it and just yesterday ordered a new firing pin and spring assembly. The fellow I ordered it from said that is a common problem with Remingtons because of the spring rubbing on the inside of the bolt. I could shoot some nice groups, but never put 2 or 3 of them together. I suspicion that this happened when it was not detectible to me, only those that were real slow in firing. When a slow fire occurred, the shot would be 2" outside of the group.

We will see in a few days if it works with the new assembly.

Lenard
Big Horn Barney

Lenard. I didn't notice any slow fires. Thanks for the info
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

It sounds like the VTR needs a few bugs worked out I wouldn't give up on it yet. But for your other question I like the 32gr Vmax for coyotes I have good results with it unable to find the entree wound and no exit. Drops them like a rock. I have used the 40gr Vmax and they work well but since I use a ultra light rifle I like that I see the hits with the 32gr bullets the rifle moves less. All of my rifles needed to have the barrels floated and the actions glass bedded and the triggers worked on to realy get the tight groups consitantly. Good luck with your project it you do decide to sell the VTR let me know I like a challenge.