PD Trip 8-9-09 - LOTS of pictures

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

PD Trip 8-9-09 - LOTS of pictures

Post by acloco »

Finished up work, loaded 81 rounds for the rifle I just completed (now has a nickname), and headed out for some well overdue picture taking (more on that). This is only the 4th mini trip to the prairie dogs I have made this year, mostly due to inclement weather. Planned on going Friday, but the wind was 15-25 mph.

Just finished building another rifle. You always "need" one more....right? Found, more like stumbled upon, an extremely reasonably priced 1:12 twist 1.250" 29" straight shank chrome moly barrel. Seller said the manufacturer was unknown and has owned this barrel for several years. Well, I need the practice on the lathe, so the barrel is now a 223 AI on a single shot long action Savage with Rifle Basix trigger, and bedded into a Choate Ultimate Varminter stock (only stock I have that will fit this barrel). This is my "budget build" as dictated by the price of the barrel, so I also topped it with a 4-16x40 Tasco scope (an old one....made by B & L with Japan glass...and BDC turret).

Of the 81 rounds, I missed ten early on by not judging distance. But all ten of those went exactly where they were pointed! At the end of this trip, the new rifle now has the nickname of "Confidence". After working up some loads and shooting them last night (everything from H4198, 10x, 15x, Benchmark, H4895, AA2460), I found this barrel will shoot just about any powder with any bullet weight from 40 gr VMax to 55 gr VMax with very good accuracy.

Because my wife does not like to hear the terms "killing prairie dogs", all of my adventures are "photographic opportunities". ....and I almost ran out of "film" for the second rifle that I brought as well.

Of note, I did pack a sidearm when walking about, and will continue to do so in the future. The very accurate XD Service model in 40 S & W packs well and has enough bite should a snake encounter occur. Thankfully, none were seen. Better to be prepared, as the saying goes.

Of note, there was one slight hurt in this adventure. On my final walkabout, after crossing two fences, I was bit/stung by a flying insect of some size. I did not actually see the flying zapper, because I was between barbwire strings #3 & #4 crossing back into the field. With ear plugs in, I did not hear the little bugger diving in on me until it was too late, I felt the thud on the left side of my rib cage and then immediately felt pain. Pulling on my shirt to dislodged the 3" fangs/stinger (well, they felt three inches long) dislodged the winged assasin from the host body while I completed fording the fence obstruction without getting the camera and rangefinder caught in the above mentioned #3 barb wire. Of note, I AM allergice to hornets, wasps, and the like. To say that I made a beeline to "Unit A1" on the most direct route while monitoring my breathing AND watching out for Mr. or Mrs. RattlesnakesRus would be an understatement. I did not have any adverse reactions. If so, cell phone was at the ready and I did have three houses that I could stop at that knew me...as it is 25+ miles to town.

To cap this evening off, I did make one phone call to my best friend, Jason. He recently moved to a state that does not have prairie dogs. Not rubbing it in, but just sharing in the joy of a successful photoshoot. The excitement in his voice was louder than his actual words, of which, his last words......"...make sure you send pictures!". Of course, I did, and will send the link to the story as well.

Believe that I shot the largest BULL Dog that I have ever seen. Also snagged one with most of a tail gone. Did not look like mange, but possible birth defect. Also of note, all of the dogs today were the normal "dishwater blondes", unlike some of the brunettes that Silverfox has had the opportunity to photo.

As the title states, I AM counting this as a kill. Unless I have a stick, I am not reaching down into the holes anymore.
<br>
<br>
<br>
I don't know what nasty bugs these are, but they were REALLY going after this soldier. Black with orange coloring...and they were FEISTY!!!
<br>
<br>
I call this one "bent".
<br>
Bent straightened out a bit....
<br>
Hole in one....yes...I snagged this one out of the hole.
<br>
<br>
One word, three dogs..... EXIT
<br>
These two are up the hill to my right and in a seperate little valley. I crested the hill just to take a picture.
This little depression is one of the hardest places to successfully take "pictures" at. As they usually see you from all sides as you crest the hill. So, if you want to take some "pictures", you have to belly crawl and use bipods.
<br>
Believe this is what is known as a "Texas Heart Shot"....or close to it. This is actually my favorite "point of camera lense" when using the 22/6mm AI with 75 gr AMax. Well, the 223 AI with 55 gr VMax did ok as well. Lense was a Tasco 4-16x40 with AO and adjustable eyepiece....and optional remote release. :)
<br>
"Texas Heart Shot"
<br>
<br>
Couple pics of some nasty foliage on the sandhills....NO PETTING ALLOWED!
<br>
<br>
Now we have BULL DOG. Picture taken less than 10 minutes after the...um...well...other picture was taken. That is NOT bloating.
<br>
BULL Dog with Short Tail and a yearling.
<br>
<br>
Allllmost made it to cover.........
<br>
"I feel sick mom"......
<br>
"I think it was something we ate...."
<br>
"I know it was something we ate....."
<br>
<br>
Just skipping across the top of the grass.....and then I ran into VMAX!!!!
<br>
Almost made it to base...but not quite!
<br>
Sir, we are down one sentry. I think he is sleeping again.
<br>
Anybody heard from the East Sentry?
<br>
<br>
Sunset pictures.....beautiful.
Nipping on the heels of 400 yards from "Unit A1". The second fence is the "scene of the flying dracula" attack from the winged assasin. Is actually quite challenging to take pictures of prairie dogs at 380 yards, through TWO fences, and not nipping a wire.
<br>
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: PD Trip 8-9-09 - LOTS of pictures

Post by Hotshot »

Great story and pics, acloco, you should get yourself a 204 and really start enjoying the sport.

I have story and pictures from Montana shoot coming soon.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

As the title states, I AM counting this as a kill. Unless I have a stick, I am not reaching down into the holes anymore
He he he. I know what that is like, its nice to have a picture proof of your kills (and effect of varmint bullets at high velocity :twisted: ) but reaching in a hole can be just downright nasty. The last time I gathered up bodies for a photo my hands stunk all day long, made my supper less appetizing.

I may have one or two outing before they hibernate for winter so keep posting your outings so I can live through your stories. :D
acloco

Post by acloco »

surfclod wrote:
As the title states, I AM counting this as a kill. Unless I have a stick, I am not reaching down into the holes anymore
He he he. I know what that is like, its nice to have a picture proof of your kills (and effect of varmint bullets at high velocity :twisted: ) but reaching in a hole can be just downright nasty. The last time I gathered up bodies for a photo my hands stunk all day long, made my supper less appetizing.

I may have one or two outing before they hibernate for winter so keep posting your outings so I can live through your stories. :D
LOL! Don't touch them critters bare handed...bubonic plague is nasty...besides the fleas & ticks. I use a Gerber multitool...the pliers end. :)

Winter....yep...you need to start preparing already. We have a couple months left.....hopefully. :)
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Great story and pics! I can handle the blood and guts but the story of the bug sting and the pic of the bugs is more than I can stand! :eew: Why didn't you find a rattlesnake to really put me over the edge! :shock: I have to sign off now to go to therapy! :eek: Gary
atavuss
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mkll

Post by atavuss »

I use snake tongs to grab any dead squeaks out of their hole or to move them into a better pose for pictures. nice to have the tongs in rattlesnake country too!
acloco

Post by acloco »

Captqc wrote:Great story and pics! I can handle the blood and guts but the story of the bug sting and the pic of the bugs is more than I can stand! :eew: Why didn't you find a rattlesnake to really put me over the edge! :shock: I have to sign off now to go to therapy! :eek: Gary
Those bugs were NASTY! They were just gnawing on that soldier. VERY, VERY feisty....never seen them before. Anybody have an idea of what they are? ....other than meat eaters!!!

Captqc - therapy ok? :)
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

acloco--Fantastic report and photos!!! I think those orange and black beetles are a cross between a dung beetle and a lady bug :wink: :lol: :wink:

I sure enjoyed all your photos and the captions were just GREAT. That made me want to get back out into the prairie dog towns of North Dakota and slay a few more prairie poodles. Keep those reports coming.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
acloco

Post by acloco »

Silverfox wrote:acloco--Fantastic report and photos!!! I think those orange and black beetles are a cross between a dung beetle and a lady bug :wink: :lol: :wink:

I sure enjoyed all your photos and the captions were just GREAT. That made me want to get back out into the prairie dog towns of North Dakota and slay a few more prairie poodles. Keep those reports coming.
Thanks Silverfox.....so there we have it. Official name of the black and orange critters are Lady Dung Bugs! :)