First Coyote hunt.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
JDB
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP 204 w/ Konus Pro M30 8.5X32x52

First Coyote hunt.

Post by JDB »

Went out with a friend Saturday 10-16-10 just south of Boise ID. It was my first time Coyote hunting. He was running the call and had designated me as the shooter.

First stand was a bust. Gravel pit was in operation that morning breaking rocks and the sound was echoing up the draw very loudly. So we moved to a second spot about 5 miles away.

Set up the call and Immediatly we got a responce on the challenge call. A pair of dogs came and sat on the small rise you see behind me in the picture about 350 to 400 yards from our stand. It was the strangest thing. They sat out there dancing in the sagebrush bounding up on their hind legs. It was like they were jumping up to see farther.

After about 5 minutes he hit a pup in distress call. This brought them in at a full charge right to us. The yardage the dogs covered in 10 seconds was surreal.

The male dog pulled up at 200 yards broadside. My Savage 12 LVP in 204 with 32gr SBK pushed by 26g of 10X knocked him down not even a twitch. The female had stayed low against a fence and never presented a shot. All we saw of her was a flash of white as she exited over the sage brush rise in the background.

Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: First Coyote hunt.

Post by Song Dog »

NICE!!!!!!!!!!
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

WTG . Looks like that dog has been eating well. I dont think that it liked that 204 pill you gave it must not of settled with its prevoius meal. :lol:
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Way to go. Your first coyote is always remembers with excitement. That excitement keeps you going out there for more.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
JDB
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP 204 w/ Konus Pro M30 8.5X32x52

Post by JDB »

Went out again this weekend.

Nailed two dogs today.

First one was a running shot. She came in fast and hard from the left of our mojo critter. Caught our scent and bolted straight away. I hit her in the back of the neck at 75 yards with my first shot dumping her. No picture though...phone was in the truck :wall:

Second one was comical. We set up on a fence line. Sagebrush to our right with a 60 yard natural break before the fence. To our left 500 yards of open field. barren except for cheat grass and tumbleweeds. 5 minutes into the call I glance to the left. Looking right at me was a young female not 20 feet from me. I could see her yellow eyes trying to figure out what I was. The mojo movement fired just at that time and she darted for it. I used this time to shift my shooting sticks and line up for a shot.

Dropped her with a head shot. Right through the eye. No exit wound, the full force of the round exploded downward through the back of her throat.

I think I might be hooked. We saw 6 coyotes today. Only got shots on two of them.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

JDB...... :wink: Way to go! Your seeing dogs and the ones your getting a shot at your putting down. Thanks for sharing. Yep your hooked!! Your rifle is dialed right in.......... for an eye shot! If there in your scope their history.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"