Break in the weather

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Break in the weather

Post by futuretrades »

As I am writing this, it is again snowing and windy as heck, but we got a break in the weather for an outing on April fools day.
Finally arrived at my spot, but the fields were full of cows, :wall:. So I had some adjusting to do Again. Lucky enough to get to my 2nd spot, and no one was around. I glassed the 2 fields I could see from where I parked the truck. Looked good to me so I set up my bench and got ready for a lot more action than I had anticipated. Was a cool morning, and I'm glad it was, because I could keep shooting a little longer before my barrel got hot. While my 204 was cooling in the shade, I was shooting my .223. When it got real hot, I was again shooting the 204. Temps were cool enough that barrels cooled down fairly quickly. Just about 12:00 noon it got hot and I broke out the towel soaked in water to cool the barrel and was able to prolong shooting for a bit longer.
Now lets see if I can post some pics;

Looking East from my position. Mount Dome in the background

Looking West from my position. Thats my Howa 1500 Varmint in the foreground and Mount Shasta in the background

All in all it was a great day. Stopped for lunch around 1:00PM; Home made salami and some really good cheese, and some bread, and of course an ice cold brewskie. :lol: Around 2:30PM as per usual, I guess skippy takes his siesta, the shooting really slowed down, so I packed things up and started for home. Takes me about an hour there and an hour back home.
Just finished prepping brass and reloading for my next trip up North, to make some more empties, so I can keep reloading. Vicious circle, I know, but I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Racr350
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Re: Break in the weather

Post by Racr350 »

Have that same shooting bench. Quite a joy to shoot off of. Just wish I had a landscape like that to shoot with it! Place is beautiful futuretrades, and obviously target rich. What kind of range can you get in that field? Quite jealous... :mrgreen:
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .204 (BSA Platinum 6-24x44) <-- The Favorite of Course
Rem 700 ADL .243 (BSA Contender 3-12x40)
Sav 93FV .22WMR (BSA Contender 4-16x40)
Rug 10/22 Synthetic/SS .22LR (BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40)
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Looks like a great time. I love to see em turned inside out!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

[quote="Racr350"]Have that same shooting bench. Quite a joy to shoot off of. Just wish I had a landscape like that to shoot with it! Place is beautiful futuretrades, and obviously target rich. What kind of range can you get in that field? Quite jealous... :mrgreen:

The bench is a customized Cabelas bench. I re-designed the bench top as per my own personal shooting style and comfort. The original top was a little small for my liking. I added another 8" in length and 6" in width. Also original top was made to accommodate right or left hand shooters. I am right handed, so is the new top. And I extended the extension on the rt. side 8" and added 6" width for my rear bag and arm support.

Looking either direction, it is in my estimation between 1/4 and maybe 3/4 miles across either field. In the west view, I think you can just make out the shop on the ranch, just below and to the right of Mount Shasta, over 1 mile distant. It is definately a target rich environment. :mrgreen:
Actually, Where I live is on the other side of Mount Shasta, and at the base of the mountain.
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
NESHOOTER
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE 12 VLP/DBM 26'' LAM-STK/FLTD SS BLL/

Post by NESHOOTER »

Nice shooting and a great way to work off the weather.
Semper Fi
tt35
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator, Cooper M21, WOA AR, DPMS AR, custom AR

Post by tt35 »

Wow, great shooting and great scenery! Can't beat that!
Tim Titus
No Off Season
www.no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Sure God's a hunter, he clothed Adam and Eve with skins and told Peter to "kill and eat", didn't He?
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Nice picks glad to see the season is starting off well.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Kevin, it looks like you had a fun time with skippy! Sure been a weird weather year, can't wait for some warm and dry days. Good shooting! gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Kevin, it appears whatever wind, snow or rain didn't hit you, came here to us. What a soggy spring this year. :?

BUT....glad to see you were able to get out despite the conditoins too. The weather is improving.....maybe spring is really here after all. Time to warm up some rifle barrels! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Well Kevin, it appears whatever wind, snow or rain didn't hit you, came here to us. What a soggy spring this year. :?
This weather is a real pain in the butt! :wall: I am getting real sick of this weather. Good to hear the EORFS got out for some action. I know you guys are getting purdy much the same weather as we are getting here. Normally by this time in the month,I would have been out maybe 4 or even 6 times more times having fun with skippy. Only been twice this year. Hopefully we will be getting some decent weather soon.

Thanks all for the kind words.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Glad you got out to do some whacking! I agree with you Kevin, the weather this year flat out SUCKS!! It's so windy and rainy that I cant shoot test loads or shoot critters. When we do have an okay day I'm at work. These wind storm give me a lot of cleanup work in my yard. Soon I wont have any trees left to help block th wind since the wind is tearing them apart. I'm thinking about moving to the southern part of the state so that the hills block the wind. LOL
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable