SAVAGE 12 FV .204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

SAVAGE 12 FV .204

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My friend wants to buy a Savage 12FV in .204.He asked me about it and I told him :shrug: I would like to know how the FV owners like the rifle.
Thanks
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

iceboxdan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage fv 12 d-tech ar 204

Post by iceboxdan »

i just started shooting mine so far it is out shooting my ren 700.

icebox
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

HEY! Welcome to the forum Icebox and thanks for the info :wink:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The only blight on an FV is the stock, the same stock everyone fusses about as being flimsy and too rough from the mold. It's common for folks to fuss about it, but in general, it works. They usually shoot better after restocking, though :? as the stock can flex and hit the barrel when firing. I've fought with them for about nine years now :shock: . I replaced one with a Duramaxx, it's on the .204, and one of these years, I'll swap out the stock on the .223, probably for a VLP stock, or another Duramaxx. The stocks fit me perfectly, which covers a lot of sins, in my book, but the flexing thing IS an issue. Glass bedding it helps a good deal, and floating the tube as much as humanly possible helps, too.
Otherwise, the FV is the same as any other Savage rifle, which isn't a bad thing.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Glenn
Will it fit into a VLP stock without modification??
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I like my 12FV in 223 so much, that I bought a 12FV in 204!

Yes, they are that good.

For the price, quality, and accuracy, cannot be beat.

Don't be afraid to purchase a Savage without the accutrigger - only costs $30 to install a new trigger that flat out rocks!
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Iceboxdam, welcome to the forum, Hawkeye Joe, My 12fv well shoot in the low .4s at 200yds witch i'm stell working on as i think it will do better than that. I haven'done any thing to the gun other than working to fine the right load for it. I'm pretty happy with the 12fv i have and i don't think you can go wrong for what gun cost you. I hope this helps you out some.
Hutch45

Post by Hutch45 »

glenn asher wrote:The only blight on an FV is the stock, the same stock everyone fusses about as being flimsy and too rough from the mold.
I whole heartedly agree with Glenn's comments. The only problem with the FV is that "butt ugly" stock. It's functional, but it is ugly and It does seem to be a bit flimsy along the barrel channel.

I doubt you can find a more accurate rifle out of the box. Mine is incredible as I've been able to shoot 1/4 MOA fairly regularly with it using factory ammo. I do have the occasional flyer problem which may be me or it could be the stock touching along the barrel. Even so, the flyers expand the routine group to about MOA, so it's not of great concern.

If I were buying today, I would go the extra $$ and get the VLP as I do intend to restock this one anyway. IMHO, that's really the only question...... Go with the less expensive FV or get the good looking stock and get a VLP. It's a question of how much $$ you want to spend on the rifle. :D :D
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The only thing MIGHT be the length of the action screws, one or the other is too long, or is it, too short? :lol: I can't remember which, but switching out will require different length screws, no big deal at all! There's no difference between actions on a VLP or FV (other than blue vs, SS).
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

I can only speak about my personal preferences and experiences...

I bought the VLP and while it is a great stock, as much as i use it and as much as i HATE to damage it (normal feild wear-and-tear) I should have gone with the FV (essentially the same gun) and restocked it.

I am now taking the VLP sotck off and switching to a choate sniper/tactical stock. No, I'm not going to sell anyone the laminate, but I just hate to ding up such a nice stock.

SO...in my opinion go with the FV and restock it in whichever stock that you want. Sometimes a VLP stock can be had for around 90$, so you're still saving a bit of money. Or you can go with an aftermarket stock also.

Just my .02 cents, with the FV you WILL end up restocking, the tupperware can only be inproved so much IMO.

Paige
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks guys. He's on the way to pick it up as I type. The next time we go shootin I'll only have one gun to clean :lol: :wink: I'm sure he will be a forum member soon.$499 with scope.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

acloco

Post by acloco »

What flavor of scope did he get?
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My friends Savage FV is a sweet shooter.It got it's first 50 rounds down the pipe today. We shot 40 gr Vmax's and 35 grain Bergers today.To my surprise the 40Vmax's shot very well with 26.9 grains of H4895.I had loads in .2 grain increments up to 27.7. The Bergers shot well throughout the ladder loads up to 28 grains of H4895. The best 3 shot group was with the Vmax at about .300 .Ya think I should tell him about the 39 BK's. Then he'll shoot as well as me?? :twisted:

acloco
The price for the gun was $449 (not $499 as earlier stated) with a Simmons 3-12 scope
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

acloco

Post by acloco »

Chaching - nothing like saving an extra 50 bucks!
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

I got a Savage 12FV and it was a sweet shooter with the factory stock. I some loads into about 3/8 of an inch, 5 shots. :D Then I got a Boyd thumbhole stock, but now I don't have any good loads to work with it. :?
Anyway, with the factory stock the best load was 27.3 grains of Varget and 32 grain hornady bullet.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up