Wipeout anyone?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Titegrupes

Wipeout anyone?

Post by Titegrupes »

I just cleaned some badly fouled hunting rifles using Wipeout. It took 3 or 4 applications each but it supposedly is an easier way to go getting the copper out. We'll see....

Post by Keith in Ga »

I've been using Wipe-out for a while, and it works pretty good. If I could just get the knack of not wasting so much foam out the muzzle. I was thinking I read somewhere that Wipe-out had come out with patches that did the same thing, but don't remember for sure. I sent them an e-mail asking the same question, but they haven't responded.
craigyboy

Post by craigyboy »

I have been using wipeount and its working great for me, how do you guys get this stuff down the barrel, I have just been putting the nozzle on the crown and spraying down the muzzle it came with a straw but It wouldnt fit down the muzzle and when i spray it from the action up the barrel the inside of the action got filled with foam.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

craigyboy--If you do not have one already, purchase a good rod guide. Find one with a rubber o-ring on the chamber end. The Lucas bore guides are good ones and Sinclair makes good ones out of Derlin. Anyway, put the rod guide into the chamber/action on your rifle and spray the Wipe-Out in from the end of the rod guide. That will keep the Wipe-Out from getting into your action. Spray the Wipe-Out in short, little bursts until it comes snaking out the muzzle end of the barrel.

Since Wipe-Out seems to settle into the lower part of the barrel, I like to let it sit in the barrel for an hour or so and then come back, turn the rifle 180º, so the former top of the barrel is now at the bottom, and then spray Wipe-Out into the barrel again.

[Edited to correct many spelling errors.]
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Guys, there are two things from Wipe-Out to consider. First of all they market Wipe-Out Accelerator to speed things up and secondly they now market Wipe-Out Patch-Out which you put on a patch or mop and push it thru the barrel. Sounds less messy and they claim no brushing necessary. Gary
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

Where did you find the info on the Wipe-out patches? I thought I read it somewhere, and even sent them an e-mail, but no return. The patches would be much simpler. Appreciate the help...
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Keith, it's in the latest issue of Varmint Hunter magazine on page 154 under press releases.
Contact info: SharpShoot-R Precision Products Inc. Dept. VH P.O. Box 171, Paola, KS Phone: (785) 883-4444 http://www.sharpshootr.com Gary
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Keith in Ga--I experienced the same thing when trying to contact Terry Paul--he is very slow at answering e-mails and very slow and returning phone calls. We did eventually make contact and I ordered two bottles of the Patch Out product. Delivery time wasn't very quick either, but I did receive my order about three weeks after I placed that order.

I tried the product in my super match grade Pac-Nor .17 Remington barrel on Saturday. I used the Accelerator product first, then the Patch Out and I even used a nylon brush (as per the alternate instructions). I performed three regimens of that process and the patches came out fairly clean.

I cleaned out all the residue of the Patch Out using brake parts cleaner and clean patches. Then I ran two wet patches down the bore with Montana Extreme 50 B.M.G. using a nickle plated jag so I wouldn't get false readings of copper. Well, evidently the Patch Out didn't get the job done because I got more copper out with the 50 B.M.G. I'll still try Patch Out a couple more times and give it more time to do the job, but I'm not impressed with my first go with it.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
goody523

Post by goody523 »

Silverfox -

Where did you find nickel plated jags if you don't mind me asking? I personally use Bore-Tech Eliminator which I really like outside the fact that it is very difficult to tell when you are done getting copper out of the barrel as the solvent is attacking the brass on the jag and turning it blue as well. Nickel plated jags would solve my problem. Thanks in advance-
If I spent as much time trying to manage my investments as I do researching guns and shooting I could retire 15 years earlier...
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

goody523--Here's a link to where I purchased my .172 caliber nickel plated jag.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/se ... ultra+jags

My .172 caliber nickel plated jag is too short--the 3/4" square patches that I use are longer than the jag and skirt down around the sides of the end of the rod. That causes big problems because the combination of the patch and the rod are too big to go down the bore without using a BIG hammer!!!
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox