Remington brass

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Remington brass

Post by Verminator2 »

Does anybody here use remington brass? How good is it? Thanks.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
georgetwalkerjr

Remington

Post by georgetwalkerjr »

I use it more than any other, though I've got some Winchester, Hornady and Nosler. I use it for .204, .221 Fireball (only commercial product), 20VT (from .221FB). I prep it completely in every case, and have found it very satisfactory. I'm sure you'll find contrary views.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

All I use...
I'm pleased with it...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I shoot a custom Sako Vixen in 17 Mach IV, and form R-P 221 F/B brass. I form, detail, anneal, and have never lost a case. as Rem is the only source of 221 F/B brass, that's all I have access to, and I have no problems with it in any regard.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

gwglave
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLS, Howa 1500 SSHB

Post by gwglave »

Verminator2
I absolutely will NOT buy Remington .204 Ruger brass.
Don't know whether I got a bad lot, but my hunting partner and I both bought 4 bags of 100 each at Sportsmans' Warehouse. The neck walls were so inconsistent in thickness that I couldn't even neck turn them and get the necks concentric. Run out was terrible.
I took them all back except for the one bag I had opened and got Winchester. Still trying to salvage those 100 cases but will probably end up throwing them in the split brass bucket and selling them for scrap.
These comments only pertain to .204 Ruger as R-P brass in other calibers are just fine.

Rgds, Gerry
NRA Life Member
OHA, VHA, OSSA, SCI
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gerry: Wow, thanks for the heads-up on R-P 204 brass.....I'll not make that mistake! I'll stick with the WW brass I'm accumulating for my 204.

This weekend I'll be 'unloading' 500 of them on Skippy.... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I have Win and RP brass for my 204. The RP is a LOT better than the Win. All of the split cases and loose primer pockets are in the Win cases. About 30% of the new Win cases, after uniforming the primer pockets and firing, have loose primer pockets.

My RP brass is very good.
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

I went from win. brass to rem. and it's all worked good in my 204and other gun's.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

acloco: That's interesting (your WW brass). I've just loaded up 200 more WW cases that are now on their 5th firing, and even using a max load of RL-10X, all the pockets are nice and tight.

Wonder what's up with the disparity between our WW cases? :shock:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I've used the Remington brass and have had no problems so far.
Savage Vaporizer
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

I have had no problem with the 500+ R+P brass that I have. It took longer to prep the 500 W-W brass and had 1 split case out of the bag.
204 try it you'll like it!
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

I use Rem brass and am very happy how it has gone. Am having a semi custom 204 built and thought the Lilja might be fed with Norma. Anyone who has tried Norma is welcome to tell me to save the money and keep buying Rem if that was their experience.

I dont like Win brass from experience with poor quality control in 243wssm and 300 wsm. Split necks in unfired new brass!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Brass

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've been using Winchester brass I have a thousand in 204 I did have a few split necks and found that some have flaws in the necks if you look real close I threw them out. I have lost a few to split neck. The Hornady brass gives me the tightest groups for some reason I was worried at first because they are short in the neck but this works well with the case stretch. The Hornady brass hangs up in the shell holders which makes it a pain to reload. I was thinking of buying a Lot of 1000 of the Remington brass as this helps in the rotation of brass as the Winchester get old. Nosler brass is a little expensive by the thousand but I might invest in it as it comes camfered and the flash hole is reamed.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I have never used Remington brass in the 204, only Winchester. I am on my sixth firing of an original lot of 400 cases. I have yet to have a split neck, but I have annealed all cases after four firings. After each firing, each case is checked again for run out and culled if the case neck after neck sizing has more than .003 run out. I have only had to cull six or eight cases. Bulk brass like Winchester or Remington is not going to be perfect. A lot of work can get it to be as good a it is going to get, but it is never going to be Lapua. Case wall thickness variations can not be overcome. The bottom line is that for field applications, within reasonable distances Winchester brass works just fine.
Sage Rat

Post by Sage Rat »

I notice GeorgeTWalker and Ryan Albright are the only chaps to mention Hornady brass. Do the rest of you not like it?