$$$$$ gas strike $$$$$

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

I dont buy any of that Crap there selling us. Why do the prices go down when there is elections (funny how that works) THATS BECAUSE THERE ALL IN ON IT
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

Don't know how much truth there is to it but i was told Dick Cheney (however you spell it) made over 400million in the past six months on oil. Hum! maybe tere is some politics in it. That number was supposed to have come from the NY Times i think.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Ohlsen wrote:There was a thing on TV awhile back where one oil company sold it's highest profit refinery in Calif. to another oil company that promptly shut it down so they could bring in refined gasoline from another of their refineries and charge higher prices.
This may well be true, but I'd take anything I saw on TV with a grain of salt. How many times have you seen gun control talked about on television? Most of the time, TV shows would have you believe that gun control makes sense if you didn't know the facts for yourself. Oil and gas pricing is no different. They're hot topics right now, so the media is going to find stories that people will want to read about or watch. Some will be true and some will be very skewed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

majcl5 wrote:I dont buy any of that Crap there selling us. Why do the prices go down when there is elections (funny how that works) THATS BECAUSE THERE ALL IN ON IT
Do you honestly believe that one country can control the price of a globally traded commodity?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

When I was making $1.75 and hour gas cost .36 cents, now I make $33 an hour and gas costs $3.34 do the math. I'm more interested in how much the cost of ammo is going up! After all this IS the .204 forum. :offtopic: Gary
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Typical left coast comment.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Captqc wrote:When I was making $1.75 and hour gas cost .36 cents, now I make $33 an hour and gas costs $3.34 do the math. I'm more interested in how much the cost of ammo is going up! After all this IS the .204 forum. :offtopic: Gary
Gary, the logic doesn't flow with that one. You're not taking into account your personal advancements over the course of your career that have elevated your hourly compensation. A more accurate comparison would be the minimum wage when gas was 36 cents/gallon vs minimum wage now. Of course, none of that really matters because the demand for crude oil is global, not just dictated by the United States. Decades ago, China and India weren't buying up much crude...they certainly are now.

For what it's worth, I don't see a problem discussing topics outside the scope of the .204 from time to time. As long as the thread has an appropriate title, people can choose whether or not to spend time reading off-topic material.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Boys, you miss my point. Back when I made $1.75 and hour gas took over 21% of my hourly wage, now it takes less than 10%. Shooter, I'm not a lefty at all, in fact I'm a life long Republican, one thing you have to realize about Oregon is that if you took Portland out of the picture we would be a very red state. I just believe we need to keep things in proper prospective. We as Americans are going to spend whatever it takes to drive our cars and the oil companies and the government are going to continue to take advantage of that fact. We can get all this crap on the tube and we don't need to fuss about it here. Gary
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yeah, well said Captqc.....we can squabble here like a bunch of girls ad nausem about something we have absolutely no control over....for no reason whatever.

Me? As long as Big Red has enough gas to get me into and back from the varmint patch, I've got lots of ammo for my rifles, I'm fat and happy!

(For what it's worth, I just filled up my CAR, and it cost me a whopping $56!!! We're NOT talking about a truck here, but a freakin' CAR! ((NOT a huge SUV, but a 3 Series Beemer :mad: ))

Record profits for Big Oil, "but we're not gouging prices....really....." Yeah, right.......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Typical comment from Texas. I am with Rick lets shoot up some vermin Unfortunatlly the cost ammo is a fortune along with gas. Probably because of gas.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

majcl5 wrote:Typical comment from Texas. I am with Rick lets shoot up some vermin Unfortunatlly the cost ammo is a fortune along with gas. Probably because of gas.
The same folks who are buying up oil on the world commodity markets in huge volumes (China and India) are also buying up huge amounts of copper and brass. Its part of their rapid industrialization programs to have a life like we are accustomed to having.... As a result, ammunition and ammo component prices in the US have taken huge leaps this past year.

I liked it a lot better when they were content to travel in hand carts and live without electricity. Maybe if we nuked them back into the stone age the price of oil would go back down to where my own personal gasoline that I've always required will be cheap again. And, no....I'm not advocating nuking them.

If you're in doubt and need some hard facts instead of just speculation and hurt personal feelings to operate on, Google "commodity markets" and look at pricing trends versus supply trends for the past 5 years on the items mentioned.

Lower supplies creates higher demands and thus higher prices. That's how a market economy works. Or maybe the ammunition companies just saw how effective the oil companies were at gouging customers and decided to do a little gouging of their own?

And for the record, I put $70 worth of gas in my GMC yesterday after getting home from a little shooting trip. There's not a thing I can do about it, but I'm not going to just guess why the price is so high and feel sorry for myself....or pass a lame half-baked theory along to my friends so we can all feel lousy together. Or try to convince others the sky is falling because of some major conspiracy..... It's not. It's just the world economy affecting my personal pocket book in ways it never has before.

How many hunting/shooting equipment vendors will sell an item for less money if the raw materials to build that item go up? I doubt there are any here that will be cutting the rest of us a huge deal on what they sell just becuse we're all shooters.... Its the same with the oil and copper/brass commodity markets.

Or maybe they're just picking on me personally for some reason.... Like everyone else does.... :roll: :wink:

Oh.....I have lived in Texas most of my life and love it. But I did spend some time as a child living in Wyoming. Does that help with what I just wrote that's based on economic facts and not just on conspiracy theories......?

I often wonder who really did kill John Kennedy.... Do you suppose it could have been an oil comapny...? Or maybe it was a large copper or brass mining company.....? :lol:

-BCB
WT

Post by WT »

Bayou City Boy

Well put!
Wayne,

"Aim low boys, they're ridin' Shetlands"
NRA Life Member 30+ Years
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

There always has to be somebody to belive there crap. Rock on dudes,I dont get into politics because mainly its really boring and i dont like republicans or flaming liberals there ALL LIARS AND THEIVES that say anything to get the votes. Cant we all just cry toghther about getting SCREWED. Come on guys how i repeat HOW can you defend this. There getting FAT HOG RICH off of you wake up.
willyp19
.204 Ruger Guns: REM 700 Custom Predator / Varmint, REM 700 VS

Post by willyp19 »

Why does the any level of Gov't give a crap about doing something about the high gas prices...They are all getting more TAX MONEY from these HIGH gas prices. Here in Washington, there was talk about lifting the state tax, but the Liberal Governor put the stop to that FAST.

Just think about it...Every level of Gov't is making more and more tas $$$ for every high priced gallon of gas, so why would they want to try to reduce the amount of tax dollars coming in?????

Just makes me mad... :mad:
Mike

Post by Mike »

willyp19 wrote:Why does the any level of Gov't give a crap about doing something about the high gas prices...They are all getting more TAX MONEY from these HIGH gas prices. Here in Washington, there was talk about lifting the state tax, but the Liberal Governor put the stop to that FAST.

Just think about it...Every level of Gov't is making more and more tas $$$ for every high priced gallon of gas, so why would they want to try to reduce the amount of tax dollars coming in?????

Just makes me mad... :mad:
Are you talking about more tax revenue strictly based on the increases in fuel prices? State and federal taxes on fuel are set at flat rates, so they don't fluctuate with the fuel prices.

When you look at the overall consumption of gasoline in the US, you'll see that it's down a significant amount. As a result, the tax revenue from fuel sales is down significantly. Consequently, funding for highway maintenance and improvements will get cut due to a lack of available funds or other taxes will be increased to offset this loss of revenue. When that happens, people will most certainly scream that government is to blame because that's much easier than actually understanding what's taking place. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I hate to see people complain so vocally, yet choose to remain ignorant about the subject matter that has upset them in the first place (I'm not talking about this forum, I'm talking about the public in general). :wall:
Last edited by Mike on Fri May 18, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.