Federal 39 grain Sierra loads for 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
berettabob

Federal 39 grain Sierra loads for 204

Post by berettabob »

Just thought I would comment on the performance I got with the new Federal ammunition utilizing the Sierra 39 gr. I bought a couple of boxes for the heck of it and my Savage 204 loved them. I had a three round groups with all touching at 100 yds and the same at 200 yards. I am a reloader and have worked up a few very good loads for my gun, but this ammo matches my performance with handloads. Looks like a winner!
Don't know if anyone else has reviewed them (at least a search did not produce anyone), but I am surprised.
cmidkiff

Post by cmidkiff »

I am shooting the Sierra 39g BK's over W748 with very good results...

I have yet to see a factory load for the .204 that can equal or exceed what I can do myself, for less money than it costs me to reload, so I'll keep hand loading for this caliber. For commercial ammo, the Winchester 34g SuperX shoots best from my Savage, but it's expensive, and no more accurate than my hand loads (though they are faster).
berettabob

Federal ammo

Post by berettabob »

I did not post my comments for an argument. I was merely stating that I had good results with the cartridge. I have been reloading since 1966, so I may have a little experience. There were no references to cost or any other comparison. It was to be an informative statement for ruger 204 shooters, not create a debate. There may be a shooter out there that does not reload and might appreciate the information!
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Thanks, berettabob, that's good info to know. I "suspicioned" it might shoot pretty good, and that's the second report I've read that confirmed it. I haven't seen any on the shelves locally, but intend to try some when I do find it. I really don't shoot too many of the heavier bullets anyway, but it's worth keeping some around.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: Federal ammo

Post by WrzWaldo »

berettabob wrote:There may be a shooter out there that does not reload and might appreciate the information!
Thanks berettabob

I do reload but it is nice to have some in-a-pinch options out there!
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

berettabob--Thanks for the report. It is good to know that this factory load is working GREAT for you.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

That ammo still holds the tightest group outta my 204 at .209" . I got my groups tighter handloading than the factory, but I still can't get my handload smaller than that. Very good factory ammo!
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Question on the Federals loaded with 39 Sierras. Who's brass is federal using? Or do they make the own? For those who have used it , have your reloaded any yet?
Thanks for input.
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

Federal uses their own brass. I haven't loaded it into my 204, but I'm using it in my 300WSM and it seems ok. I'm just using cheap Win brass with the 204 and average groups in the mid-3's.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Anybody have a review of Federal brass they care to share?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em