Barrel Life???

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Canis Latrans
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Barrel Life???

Post by Canis Latrans »

Good day all,

I don't know if this subject came up before. I searched it thru the forum and couldn't find anything about it.

Is it true that barrel life in a .204 is not compromised because of the bullet's diameter or something like that? I red that the barrel on a .204 will last you the life of the rifle if you take the normal precautions.

Could someone elaborate on that subject please and tell me why the barrel is not compromised on a .204 and it is on .22-250 for example.

Thank you for your time on this subject.

Canis.
Shoot straight....or eat track soup
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Canis: From what I've read (my 204 has just under 900 rounds now....) the expected barrel life from a properly cared for 204 barrel should be roughly the same as a 223 Rem, all things being equal.

The reasons are case capacity vs. bullet speed, bearing surface in regard to diameter, and case design overall. Can't be more specific than that, and again, that is just from reading.

The 22-250 uses roughly 10 grains more powder (which in this case would be a whopping 30%), larger bullet, which equals more bearing surface for about equal speed. The amount of powder used in a case appears to be porportional to the amount of throat erosion when bore diameter is concerned, as evidenced by the Swift if not properly cared for (heat & cleaning procedures).

We've all read the gloom and doom writings from the "old days" in regard to the Swift, yet we all know now, that if not machine-gunned, cleaned regularly, and using sane loads, a Swift barrel could last a lifetime as long as you don't take it into the PD or squirrel patch and use it as your primary weapon.

I'd guess that in a couple more years, with more of us using the 204, we'll have a much better idea of actual 204 barrel life in the real world. But for now, figure it's about the same as your pet .223. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Let's not forget that the end of your barrels life isn't the end of the rifles life. Having a new barrel installed on your favorite .204 would give it a new lifespan. You could even have the chamber cut to your specifications. Think of the possibilities.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Canis Latrans
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by Canis Latrans »

Thank you very much guys for your answers...it certainly answers my questions.

Canis.
Shoot straight....or eat track soup
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Don't forget the shoulder angle also plays into throat erosion.

I am just over the 2000 mark in my Savage 12FV.