Cleaning copper out of bore?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Sask Boy

Cleaning copper out of bore?

Post by Sask Boy »

Hi Guys, I am wondering if any of the readers have used a product called Wipeout supposedly it is a great foam bore cleaner and once used you will never use anything else.
I have not put a lot of rounds through the 204 yet but in a couple of weeks I hope to put a serious dent in the gopher population at my sister's farm. If you guys respond that would be great!
Keep the Son in your eyes.
Bless You
Dan
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Cleaning copper out of bore?

Post by glenn asher »

Wipe-out is just what I was going to suggest, anything to lessen the number of bore strokes with a rod is a GOOD thing! Don't forget the Accelerator, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
bk63044

Post by bk63044 »

Works great for copper and copper only. I have many people using it and loving it.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Wipe out is good stuff for copper. I would suggest cleaning the carbon out first with a mild solvent and brush. Dry the bore and foam it.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Wipe Out is great stuff. I put a couple patches of Montana Extreme solvent down the bore first followed by a dry patch or two.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Iamsignal3

Post by Iamsignal3 »

Try
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Copper
If you are a DIY kinda person. I use the Ace Ammonia and at 1.90 a quart I like the price
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

I agree with the Wipe out, BUT get the "liquid" Wipe out and Accelator. I've used the foam, but you waste way more than you use. The liquid works really good, and it goes a long way. Like the others, I have used Montana Extreme, Butches, etc before the Wipe out.
ImageImage
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Wipe-Out works great on copper but does not do a thorough job on carbon. I was sold for a while but I am back to a dedicated carbon cleaner and a bronze brush. I use Mercury Power Clean, but there are others that work just as well. Once the carbon is out that is on top of the copper I use the Wipe-Out. There will still be more carbon after the Wipe-Out has done its thing. Just depends how clean you want it to be.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I am also leaning towards an electric cleaner - using a steel rod, a cleaner, and a small DC voltage - drives the particles, magnetically, to the steel rod.

I use these on milsurp rifles and the results are astounding.