Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by GlennGTR »

Howdy yall.My name is Glenn .Ill forgo my last name due to the fact that Im in law enforcemnt and try not to give too much info away due to the fact that all the mutatnts and miscreants out there are now computer wise. Im 46 years old and the father of 5 ages 25,21,7,3,and 11months.Yes I believe in staying busy. Dont worry all the young ones are from second marriage lol. I started shooting critters at the ripe old age of 8 and have been faithfully trapsing around the woods with some kind of gun or another since. As a kid in Montant I used to run around the Flathead national forest with a Custom Rem 6oo in 221fireball that belonged to my Dad.I can recall many fond winter days running around on snow shoes and shooting fox,lynx.martin the ocasional wolverine and so many BIG coyotes I soon lost track.Of course good old dad was kind enough to help me skin and get these critters ready for the furriers. It was enough money to keep me in ammo,skinning knives and other realy important stuff. Another hero of mine besides my Dad was an old gentleman by the name of Ray Day this guy was in his 90s back in 72 or 73 so hed been around in the good old days of Montana and had the pics and souvenirs to prove it. Taught me alot of way cool wood craft and hunting secrets.Took me under his wing and taught me the Montana Cowboy ways.Last Januarty I was in the mood for a light weight kicking around rifle that would be a real tack driver.I had a gift certificate to Sportsmans wherehouse that Id won at a pistol shoot. saw on the shelf what I thought would be a 223 ruger 77 ultra lite all weather.All weather cause it rains so much in the Olympics where I live now.When I picked up the rifle I saw that it was chambered in 204 ruger.I had read about the 204 and was intrigued so I purchased it.After mounting a Weaver 2-10x39 on it I took it too the range wich for me is a large clearcut with huge stumps for bullit stops a standing target and 2 sand bags on the hood of my Chevy Tahoe.After zeroing the rifle I shot a five shot group that I could cover with a dime.I was shocked that any light tapered barrel could shoot like that.In other woords I became a 204 instafan.Now after I find me a 221fireball so I can relive my childhood Ill be in the market for a 77mkll target.Also the scope of the ultralite is upgraded to a Leupould vxll 4-12x40.I like the finer recticle.Also the triger will be updated.This little rifle pakage fits neatly into the pocket of my Eberlestock fannypack where I Biathlon it around in the highcountry snow looking for coyotes bobcats and lions.Im also a Flyfisherman so i spend alot of time in Eastern Oregon fishing now Ill be bringing the 204s along.Thanks to all the members of this site for the good advice and comradship.This is a great site for learning more about the 204 varmint hunting and making friends.Till later Glenn
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum Glenn!! It's good to have you here!! :wink: So you're lookin for a FireBall huh?? Wanna see one?? :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Thats Glens pet woodchuck "Fireball" caught sleeping on guard duty again.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Glen

Post by Glen »

:lmao: :lmao: Jr's not sleeping!! He's just taking a nap after a job well done. We both do that on occasion!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
porkysnow
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by porkysnow »

Greg Snow here... I'm from Ontario Canada, enjoy hunting everything wild that manages to call this area home. Live in a small quiet town where I'm a CNC Programmer/Machinist and a part time Firefighter, which I would love to turn into full time status asap!! Live with one dog and no wife :D Glad to have just purchased a new Remington 700 SPS to add to my collection of guns and bows!! Keep up the great site!
woodog

Post by woodog »

Greg Snow here... Live with one dog and no wife :D
That's better that living with a wife who is a dog. :eew:

Woodog
San Joaquin Sighthounds
Salukis, Whippets and Greyhounds

Home of the 2005/2006 #1 National Open Field Coursing Grehound - Cucuy
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum Greg!! :wink:

And Best of Luck on the firefighting position!!

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
ocsjr
.204 Ruger Guns: Copper Model 21 Varminter

Post by ocsjr »

Hi; Smitty here. Retired construction mechanic, 67 yrs old and living in St Peters, Mo. I used this site to research for getting started and it has been very helpful. I ended up getting a Cooper Varmiter in .204 with a fluted barrel and have put a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 on it. I've been busy buying reloading equipment and have tried to buy right the first time, so Redding, Forster, Dillion and Sinclair are in the mix of my choices. I gained alot of insight by using this site and would like to thank all of you for the help I got from your postings. Smitty
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum Smitty!! :mrgreen: Glad we could help you out!!

Got any pics of that Cooper/Zeiss combo?? :lol:

We like pictures!! :mrgreen:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

I'm a little late on the introduction but i guess it is better late than never. My name is Josh and i live in western NC. I am married for 5 years now with a 18month old daughter who is the joy of my life. I work for a textile mill as a Picanol loom technician. Love to ride quads and shoot. I have always loved guns, since i was way before 5 years old. My oldest gun is a 1883 pump shotgun. My newest is my .204 rem vssf with a 8.5-25x50. Just now getting into the reloading scene. My favorite caliber to shoot is the 22lr mainly cause when i drag those 22s out my wife shots too. I can also get some CCI CB or subsonics and not disturb the neighbors and their dirt cheep weel they used to be anyway. This is a wonderful site full of considerate people who don't force their views or opinions on you unless in a joking manner. I'm glad its a site my wife can read and not be offended by language or dirty pics snuck by the administrators. Thanx to all for info and help i have recieved. It's nice that a bunch of people spread out over the world can be friends through a little web site. To all a merry Christmas and happy new year. Now get out and shoot and take family and friends with ya.
jedstrong
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FCV

Post by jedstrong »

Greetings - great site, wonderful forum. The posts on this subject "Tell us about yourself" are very interesting and encouraging. Sounds like my kind of people.

I'm 50, married 27 years with 5 kids. Currently cleaning the nest out, but still have a couple of boys at home to educate and send out into the world. Love to hunt, hike and explore the Great Basin and Colorado Plateau around my home in central Utah. Also do whitewater rafting and cast-iron cooking, anything as an excuse to get out into the great wide-open. My wonderful wife tolerates all this huntin and shootin and will usually eat what me and the boys bring home, if I cook it. Keeping 3 boys (and me) well armed and loaded for jacks, varmits, and big game forced me into reloading for economics sake. Now I'm hooked! We shoot .30-06 and variants, .270, .25-06, mostly Rugers with Leupold optics.

Recently acquired a .204 savage model 10 predator hunter for my eldest son who is currently serving our country in Iraq. He asked me to tune it up for him so he'll have a good shooter when he gets home this summer. This is my first forray into small bore/centerfire/hi-vel shooting, so this site and forum has been invaluable. I've mounted a Mueller 4-10x44 sport dot(...I know, it's not a Leupold, but great quality for the $$), on the .204 and all I can say is sweeeeeet!!!! We're shooting sub-inch groups, several with all the holes touching at 100yds off of the bench with factory ammo. Just not used to this tight of groups from the bigger rifles we shoot. Now I'm gearing up to start reloading the .204. And when junior gets home from Iraq, I've gotta get one of these for me.
watch yer topknot pilgrim!
Glen

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum jedstrong!! :wink: Can't wait to see the grin on your boys face when he shoots one of those little bitty groups with it!! :mrgreen:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

New guy here. Been lurking for some time and have learned a lot. I have been shooting a Ruger Target model .204 for about a year now. Had great luck with the 40gr V-max, Leupold 6.5x20 and coyotes. :lol: I have just recently put together an AR-15 in .204. Haven't had much chance to shot it yet but that will change very shortly. :mrgreen:
Glen

Post by Glen »

erslll-- Welcome to the Forum!! :mrgreen: Glad to have you here!! :wink:

Ted Nugent

^^^^^^

Glen
hagfan72
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by hagfan72 »

Eric here, I live east of Denver, CO. I am in the Air Force, where I am a jet engine mechanic on the F-16. Currently, I am in Iraq, but should be home soon. I do not yet have a .204, but am planning on getting a Dtech soon chambered in that caliber. My passions are pheasant, turkey, big game, and predator hunting.
Jet noise: The sound of freedom.

varminthuntersnorthwest.com