Been searching 6 years......finally NEW toy

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Been searching 6 years......finally NEW toy

Post by dannybracy »

Hey Everyone, I have been looking for an AR FOREVER. Went to countless gun shows, many trips to my FFL to shoot his Colt's, and have spent countless hours on the Net dreaming. I have looked at many RRA's, Bushmasters, Colt's, and thought about many DPMS's. However finally I found my new lil baby!

It is a Superior Arms Bull Varmint which is made in my home state of IA(which I think is really cool and has that stamped on the side of the Lower). The 2 gentlemen that make these worked for Rock River Arms back in the 90's and then went out on their own(and still have a lot to do w/ RRA's). They each put each rifle together by hand and fire each rifle to make sure it is up to their standards. Not to mention it comes w/ a LIFETIME warranty to the original owner. There is no slop or play between the uppers or on either stock. I am hoping that it will be a decent shooter

I just picked it up so I haven't shot it yet. It came w/ the tactical latch and it has an awesome true crown bull wilson barrel. It also came with a Rock River 2 stage trigger in it set to 3.5lbs. Seems really nice!!!! I am in love with it and it likes its LRPV buddy in the gun cabinet.

Here are some pics(first time posting any pics on this site so I hope they work!)

(I think it is cool to have Wapello,IA stamped on the lower; I did road construction down there one summer during college)
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Been searching 6 years......finally NEW toy

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

SWEET.. Targets ...We want targets...
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

Very nice! :D

What optic are you going to be installing?
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Erslll, thank you! & that is a very good question that maybe others can help me with! This is my first AR that I am setting up, so I am sure there are many opinions on what mounts I should use?!

I have a set of low?/medium Burris Sig. Zee rings that came w/ a Luepy scope I bought awhile back. I tried slippin' them on the flattop but they weren't going very easily so i think i may try to widen them out a smidge......b/c I don't want to mar up the rail on my upper.... So does anyone have a recommendations? I saw some mounts on Bushmaster.com that were about 1 1/2" long(would need one for each ring) and they are secured to the upper w/ 2 allen head screws that I kinda like and think they would look nice also. If i remember right they have weaver rails on each side too(2 side rails and a top rail for rings).

As far as optics go I have a brand new Leupy 6.5-20 Varmint Ret. sitting here that I picked up dirt cheap, but that is going on my backup PD rifle that I got. That backup rifle came with a cheapo Simmons 4-12x40 on it that I was gonna put on my AR but I have already started looking for USED Vari-x or VX-III's in the 3-10 to 4-12 range. What are other guys running on their AR's? Basic intentions on the rifle are to just punch some paper and to shoot melons, milk jugs, and other cool stuff. Might go to SD for a back up back up rifle........ THanks for your help guys!!! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

My buddy runs a Bushnell 3200 7-21X on his Rock River Varminter, and he's happy with it. I've shot that rifle a little, and it seems pretty good to me, too. If that's too rich for your blood, take a look at the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18SF that The Optic Zone is selling for $299, it's pretty nice, too. AVOID the BDC reticle on them, get a Nikoplex, the BDC is gobbledeegook, I oughta know, I have one.............and I hate it. The scope is fine, but the reticle isn't.

DO use a riser, if you don't, the scope will probably be too low for your face, that straightline stock profile is unkind to people with fat cheeks like me.

Just last November, a buddy with an FFL offered me a Superior lower for a shamefully low price, I wish I'd bought all three he had, now. Luckily, I've been cured of the Black Rifle Disease, or, at least it's in remission.........
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

THanks for the info Glenn! I will definitely do a riser. Those riser blocks on bushmaster.com seem like they should be okay. If I remember right they are $14 apiece so they would be about the same as some of the $30-40 risers I am seeing on Midway. I was just wondering if anyone uses a specific riser b/c they like them way more than the rest, or if a riser is pretty much a riser........

Too bad you didn't buy those lowers Glenn!, might want to take one off your hands!!! haha And as for the Black Disease, I am kinda regretting buying the AR for the simple fact all I have done is look at cool stuff to add on and customize!!!!!!! But as for now, other than a Hogue Grip, I am going to try to keep it all stock. I had to get this one b/c it was a KILLER deal and already had the RRA trigger in it----->saves me from buying a $200 Chip McCormic trigger!!!! I love the rifle and the feel of it is perfect. I also like there is NO slop and it feels really solid. You will have to let me know what medication ya take to calm your nerves on the AR, just in case!!!

THanks for your help again!! Oh and by the way....as you can tell I need the risers b/c I know the chubby cheek syndrome!!!.....Pic is of the MANGE-Y momma PD that I rolled off the back of a mound at 465yds in SD this last summer. Entrance hole is in the middle of her back and the rest of that crap is all missing hair and other NASTY looking junk i didn't want touching my skin!!!

***Danny Bracy***

howler

Post by howler »

I don't know much about the sporting AR's but I did notice the old rock and roll switch, 11 bush guys know what I mean

11 bush was or maybe still is the army infantry :) :)
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

I just put together an AR in .204 and I currently have a VX-III 4.5x14x40 with an Armalite mount. The mount is just a hair low for my taste but I think I can live with it. I am also looking for a VX-III 6.5x20 but I think that just comes down to personal preference. :D
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Danny, Save yourself a couple of headaches and get a one piece Armalite or LaRue scope mount for your AR... The Armalite will cost a little less than the LaRue.

Too many people have added risers and high scope mounts, only to have one element of the combination work loose a little and then they start complaining about accuracy issues and losing confidence in their rifles.

Due to problems I encountered on an earlier AR, I started getting the EOP (Elevated Optical Platform) upper receivers that allow me to use standard mounting rings and still get the scope up where it needs to be.
AR
Factory/Factory
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

howler wrote:I don't know much about the sporting AR's but I did notice the old rock and roll switch, 11 bush guys know what I mean

11 bush was or maybe still is the army infantry :) :)

We 11Cs called them 11Bulletstoppers :mrgreen:
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Is that a tissue in your hand :lmao:
That black rifle disease is certainly catchy. I just put a dowm payment on a Les Baer Custom Ultimate Varmint in .223 :oops: . The two factory targets were in the LOW .200's :eek: :eek: .With Federal 69gr Factory ammo :eek: I took one look at the targets and said sold :roll: . Not sure what kind of trigger it has, but it's sweet.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Hahaha Laugh it up Hawkeye!!!! I didn't want whatever that PD had! Congrats on the down payment, I am very jealous!!!!! Is this your first AR or do you have others? I think that Baer Varmint should have a timney trigger if I remember right. Didn't look too close b/c there is NO room in the budget!!! LOL Again, Congrats Hawkeye!

Is this better????? This lil guy was on the mound and DONE LOST HIS HEAD!!

***Danny Bracy***

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Nice... This will be a first AR for me. I looked at the Baer .308 a few weeks ago and liked it very much. Then today I saw the .223. The salesman made me wait till they found the box to show me the targets. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had to take it. You know.. It comes with scope rings,bipod and case.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Well if it comes with the bipod, case, and rings..........and your account is still open............. pick me up one too and I will pay the shipping to my FFL. Thanks!!!!! :D
***Danny Bracy***

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I found one for ya. but I don't think a FFL is needed, Just a envelope :lol:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)