New DPMS .204 Upper

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

New DPMS .204 Upper

Post by Vartarg »

I bit the bullet and ordered a .204 Ruger DPMS upper with a 24" SS fluted barrel for my Bushmaster lower. I"ll probably put another trigger in it, but right now I could use some help on mounting a scope. I've not done this before. Do I need a riser? What kind of riser, or mount do I need? I'll probably put a Weaver 4X16 on at least to start out. All suggestions and thoughts welcome. Thanks. George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Re: New DPMS .204 Upper

Post by erslll »

Not sure I can tell you the perfect scope mount but I can tell you how I mounted the scope on my AR. I just put a Leupold 4.5x14x40 on my AR using an Armalite one piece mount. I read a lot of good things about the mount and am pretty happy with it. I would maybe want the scope a little higher but I can live with it as is and probably better to have the scope closer to the barrel.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

George, you didn't mention if it was a flat top or handle version but I've found it best to keep the scope as low as possible on my Rock River. There are about a million options for mounting scopes on an AR so I'd suggest hitting a gun show if you can as every other table will be selling AR stuff. Gary
richnmib

Post by richnmib »

Larue...
If this is heaven...How bad is heck??
Vartarg

Post by Vartarg »

Thanks for the responses. It's a flat top with a picatinny rail.....
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

If you have been surfing alot then I suppose you have seen the price on the LaRue mount?! I said, "You have to be ';[]2@#$$%%^#$@#@%%^*^&*&*ing kidding me!!!"
I just bought the cheapest one I could find on the web and went with Weaver ring and after well over 1000 rounds I have had no problems. Besides, if my accuracy does go to crap then I know the very first thing to check and I could buy about 8 more mounts before I spend what 1 LaPue costs. (just don't go saying that kind of thing over at AR15.com)
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Vartarg

Post by Vartarg »

I decided to go with this one piece mount from Wilson Combat:

LowPro
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS - CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar - Remington R-15

Post by LowPro »

NICE... :chin:
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

That is way nice.

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
erslll
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by erslll »

Vartarg wrote:I decided to go with this one piece mount from Wilson Combat:

Ok, not trying to hijack this thread and if I need to start a new one, please let me know but......

I am in the market for another AR scope mount. As I mentioned, I currently have the Armalite one piece mount and I would kind of like it to be a little taller. It looks like the Wilson Combat mount is a little higher but I can't confirm that. Any of you AR guys have an opinion on this? I am leaning toward the Armalite because I know I can live with it. I guess I am also kind of trying to ask what every one's opinions are on scope height vs. accuracy?
Rugerdogdog

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I used a very cheap mount and ring setup with a 50mm objective scope and have had no problems. As you can see, my scope is very high. The issue with having a tall mount has more to do with cheek weld and shootability than pure accuracy. Decide what kind of stock you will be useing and go from there. As I said, I like my setup with the A2 stock but others who have shot my rifle don't like it and if I had a skinny little collapsible stock I think my scope would be too high.