Tikka T3 204 ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
CooperRandall
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix - DTECH AR15

Tikka T3 204 ?

Post by CooperRandall »

Is a Tikka 204 T3 $1000 less of a gun than a Sako 85? I know they are both made by Sako but the price difference is huge. Anyone have any experience with one? How do they shoot?
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Tikka T3 204 ?

Post by glenn asher »

I strongly doubt there's a thousand dollars difference in accuracy, most Tikkas seem to shoot well enough, but the difference is in the furniture and name recognition, and all that danged plastic on the Tikkas. I don't care much for the scopemounting method used by Tikka, but that's easily sidestepped.
I don't own a Tikka, but lots of guys on the 24hourcampfire do, and they seem to think highly of them. Other than the previous editorializing, I'm neutral about 'em, due to my not knowing much about them. I've seen and handled a couple in a shop, but they didn't leave much of an impression with me, they just didn't float my boat.

Of course, I feel the same way about the S&W Icon, or the T/C anything, other non-impressing rifles that didn't float any boats, either.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

A Tikka rifle typically won't win any beauty contests until you shoot it. Then it will likely take on a beauty all its own and the difference in value between a Tikka and a Sako will shrink to practically nothing. They are a very well made utilitarian factory rifle and were not designed to be a safe queen. Buy the Sako if looks are important. Bottom line....Both will likely shoot equally as well since they both are well made and use the very same barrel.

As for all the "plastic", the trigger guard/magazine set up is actually a delrin plastic which would take a big gorilla with a large hammer to damage. Its far from just being "plastic".

Just as a FTI - this is coming from someone who likes and owns nice custom rifles for the beauty some have. But I own four Tikkas because they just plain shoot great right out of the box. And the price is excellent for the value you get. I didn't get that feeling from holding one once in a gun shop and saying ho-hum about something I know very little about from practical experience....

I have to laugh that some folks will clamp their cheap CZ rings on to that rifle and think they have a diamond in the rough but yet they criticize the Tikka rings. At least Tikka drills the receiver and leaves you with an option of mounting regular Weaver-type bases and rings. This is just my opinion, but I'd take the Tikka "plastic" magazine any day over the CZ stamped metal magazine.

So, yes...I do own a couple of CZ's. And both of my CZ rifles have different/better made scope rings that what is furnished. I just ain't impressed with theCZ rifle in any way, shape, or form... They're just a poor imitation of a Mauser action with a protruding detachable metal magazine that would likely make Peter Paul Mauser roll over in his grave when he sees his name attached to a detachable metal magazine and a removable bolt handle. He spent years perfecting the internal staggered column magazine and was a stout advocate of a one piece bolt assembly.

To get the two CZ rifles I own to shoot well, I had to re-crown both barrels, and on one rifle I had to shim/glass bed to straighten the fit of the action in the stock to keep the barrel from riding hard on the left side of the stock. You can hog out the barrel channel, but the action is still sitting slightly crooked in the stock on many of their rifles.

-BCB
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I do not believe that the Tikka is offered in the 204, in the US at any rate. It is not in their catalog or on the web site that I could find. I would have one if they were.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
TikkaT3

Post by TikkaT3 »

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint .204 as they only come in this model at the present time but im sure that might change.

Not sure why they have not released them in the USA as they are a top rifle and shoot excellent out of the box.

With some reloads i was able to achieve the below.

CV32

Post by CV32 »

Tikka has finally jumped on the 204 Ruger bandwagon. Only the Varmint model was previously available, but the .204 T3 Lite is new for 2008. There are none in North America yet that I know of. I've been on a waiting list for a lefty .204 T3 Lite SS since November, and I'm told it could be another 3-4 months. For a look at the upcoming Tikka's, see:

http://www.tikka.fi/

I can only echo BCB's comments about Tikka firearms. They're accurate, the action is smooth, and the synthetic models are about as tough as it gets.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Right up front I'll say I do not own a Tikka. However, I'm a real Sako fan, and own a few of those. That said, last year I was varmint shooting ground squirrels with an Oregon guide who bought some of my benches for use by his varmint shooting clients. He had with him a Tikka Varmint in .223 Remington.

I handled it, shot it, fondled it, and will say without hesitation that it shot very well, handled very well, just plain felt good, and the workmanship and materials were excellent. When I told him I really liked his rifle, he told me he has five Tikka's in calibers from the .223 I was holding, 22-250, 30-06, 7mm Mag, and a .300 Mag. In his opinion, the accuracy and smooth bolt operation is more than worth the money, and once he shot the .223, he went out and purchased the other four just to have all his favorite calibers in one rifle action.

This is from a guy who could buy about anything he wanted, and does just that. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

CooperRandall

Post by CooperRandall »

Changed the text. Sorry, I know it's not the classifieds.

Chad
Last edited by CooperRandall on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crashcarruthers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Kevlar

Post by crashcarruthers »

Funny! Scheels is selling Tikka T3 .204 Stainless Steel Varmint Guns for $649.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

You could put a few bucks onto $930 and get a Sako and really have something.
CooperRandall

Post by CooperRandall »

I got hosed then. $750 + 6% sales tax = $795. 150 mile round trip (10 gallons of gas at $3.25 a gallon = $32.50) and three hours of my time + $20 fee to ship from my FFL and a $30 shipping charge. I give to charities but my time is worth something.

Would you let me know were you found a Tikka 204 at a Scheels for $649. I will back the truck up, buy all they have and take the three I bought back. Or if you know where I can buy a SAKO 85 in 204 I'd love to know that too.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I think the Sako 85's V-lam SS are due in to the US in October :roll:

They are REALLY outstanding guns...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
crashcarruthers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ Kevlar

Post by crashcarruthers »

Scheels
Iowa City
Coral Ridge Mall
1461 Coral Ridge Ave.
Coralville, IA 52241

They have 5 in stock as of Apirl 9, 2008

I hope this is not against the forum rules. I have nothing to do with Scheels, I live in Arkansas. I am having my Gun Smith order one of these Tikka T3 204 varmint Stainles Steel rifles for me.
CooperRandall

Post by CooperRandall »

Thank you Sir, you just saved me $320. I really appreciate the heads up. For anyone else looking, Scheels in Sioux Falls SD also has several T3's in 204 and they'll match the $649 from the Iowa Scheels.

Chad
Spot shooter

Post by Spot shooter »

So did anyone recieve thier Tikka 204 Ruger yet?

If so does it have the Picatinny rail (super varminter) or is it a normal stainless varmint model

Spot