Getting frustrated with my CZ Varmint

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
lakota
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Getting frustrated with my CZ Varmint

Post by lakota »

I have about 200 rounds through this gun. I have no less than 12 different loads with 3 different powders and 4 different bullets that will shoot the first 2 rounds into dern near 1 hole at 100 yards and then the rifle will fling the 3rd shot out and open the group up to well over an inch. I have been shooting bench rest for 8 or 9 years now and I have gotten pretty good at calling flyers and on the majority of the groups I shot today I felt rock solid on the 3rd shot. I dont have a trigger pull scale, but I have the trigger adjusted to a nice light pull with very little creep or over travel. One thing that I found this afternoon is that there is a high spot on the right side of the forearm pressing on the barrel, so I took some sand paper and made sure that the barrel is free floated. My scope came off of the Ruger 22 Hornet I traded in on the CZ and that rifle was a consistant 1/2" MOA rifle so I dont think there is a problem there. If the float job doesnt work, the only other thing I can think to do is to have it recrowned.

Any suggestions or anything I might be missing? :wall:

Thanks,
Scott.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Getting frustrated with my CZ Varmint

Post by acloco »

What is the measured runout of a loaded round? Measured at the neck? Measured at the ogive of the bullet?
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

lakoda,

I don't know what your cleaning procedure is but on my CZ Varmint I've noticed that when I start loosing accuracy, I have to give it a good cleaning. Last weekend I was shooting my Savage 12VLP and all of a sudden I was throwing 3 and 4 inch flyer's at 200 yards. I gave it a good cleaning and shot a 3 shot 1 inch group at 200 yards.

Good luck on fixing your dilemma.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
stevecrea

Post by stevecrea »

Have you shot it after you removed the high spot? That sounds like it might be the problem. As you probably know, a spot touching the barrel makes that spot heat up more, not to mention changing the barrel harmonics.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")
lakota

Post by lakota »

After I took the action out of the stock, I noticed the barrel channel was very sloppy and had several bumps hitting the barrel in various locations. I smoothed them all out. I hope this does the trick. I also give the bore a good cleaning every 35 rounds or so. I love the way this gun feels and I love the trigger so I hope I can get it to shoot better. It seems the potential is there. Dont know when I can shoot it again, the forecast is calling for rain the next several days :x

Scott.
lakota

Post by lakota »

I got out to shoot today and floating the barrel made a big difference. I am no longer throwing flyers like I was before and I even managed a few groups under half an inch at 100 yards. Now I feel like I need to go back and retry every load that I wrote off as inaccurate before I floated the barrel. Midway USA is just gonna love me :D

Scott.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Yea! :cheer: :w00t: :banana: Now go kill something! :lol: Gary
mbmm

Post by mbmm »

Thanks! I may be able to save my sanity......I have a similar problem with a CZ....Now I know what to look for after all else fails.... :D
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

YEAH!!! What the good capt said!! :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen