Well I hate to do this but I have to.

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
mike.newton
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American with camo laminate stock

Well I hate to do this but I have to.

Post by mike.newton »

A few years ago I stumbled upon this site after purchasing a .204 in Ruger M77 MKII and topping it with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14v50mm. Very sweet looking setup. I put a Timney Trigger in it. Everyone on here was talking crap about the ruger M77 MKII and how they werent shooting very but they were all raving about the CZ 527 and what a shooter it was. Well I got mad and left the site. Come to find out my ruger didnt shoot. So I have the action glass bedded and the barrel floated, and still only about 1 inch groups. Finally I said to heck with it im not pouring anymore money in it. And I just bought the CZ 527 American with the spring camo Laminated stock and I love it! this thing IS a shooter. So to all who I was mad at.. I admit you were right. but I am now in your club haha. Anyone else have a similar story??

Mike
Lee C.

Re: Well I hate to do this but I have to.

Post by Lee C. »

Will welcome back Mike, it's to bad you had so much trouble with your ruger. But it sounds like your pretty happy with the cz you have now. When i got my savage 12fv i had to try a box of hornady 32gr ammo out tell i got my reloading dies and things. I never did get what you would call a group useing that ammo. It looked more like i was shooting a shot gun. But for me it worked out in the end. But it's good to here you got one that will shoot for ya now. Have fun with it now and let us know how things are going with your new toy.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Welcome back Mike, it takes a big man to admit he was wrong! (my wife says I never do it! :duh: ) Rugers are funny in that some shoot great and some are trouble. (I guess that can be the case with any manufacturer) I've got an M77-17 that shoots great. Gary
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

well I must say my #1 in 204 isnt near as accurate as my xr-100 in .204.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I guess I am one of the lucky owners of the M77 MKII. I bought mine from one of the forum members with about 300 rds. through it and it is one of my most accurate rifles. It only had a trigger job done to it before I bought it. I shot PD's with it earlier this year and it had more kills than any of my others.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
mike.newton
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 American with camo laminate stock

Post by mike.newton »

Gary I have the Ruger M77 17 too and it puts them all in a tiny little hole. Which is why I expected so much from that MKII. Oh well. I am getting ready to go shoot now. I am gonna shoot the 204 and see how it stacks up against my tikka 595 22-250. ill let you guys know how it does.

Mike
bythebook
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77VT and TC Oncore also have access to Savage

Post by bythebook »

I guess I am really lucky as I have a Ruger 77-17 and a 77 VT and both shoot really well. The 17 will put them all in one hole if I do my part, and the best group with my 77 204 at 100 yds. 5 shots in .168 center to center with the 32 gr Vmax. I have done nothing to the Ruger 77 VT but shoot it and develope a load for it. The trigger is set at 2lbs even. That .168 is not the average but it can group in the high 1s and 2s pretty regular. I am happy with my Rugers.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

mike.newton wrote: I am gonna shoot the 204 and see how it stacks up against my tikka 595 22-250. ill let you guys know how it does.

Mike

I'd rather hear how it does COMPARED to the poor ,bashed ruger........ be honest, now....... :wink:
race4hills

Post by race4hills »

My Ruger 77 VT shoots less than 1/2'' groups at 100 yards. A few weeks ago in WY it kill a p-dog at 533 yards, and by the sounds I woke up to, (WAP - BOOMMM) huntsman22's Ruger shoots fine also. :lol:
204 try it you'll like it!
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

My Ruger 77 VT 204 is one rifle I did not have to work on. It shoots 1/2 inch 100 Yd five shot groups with the 32 Gr and 39 Gr bullet reloads. I adjusted the trigger pull down to 3 pounds and free floated the barrel of a Remington 17 Fireball to get it to shoot 6/10 th inch groups. I glass bedded the action , free floated the barrel, adjusted the trigger, and had a gunsmith lapp the bolt locking lugs of a Rem 700 LS 221 Fireball to get it to shoot 3/4 th inch groups. Now days its not uncommon to have to tune up a rifle to get them to shoot groups that are good for prairie dog shooting.
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

mike.newton wrote: Everyone on here was talking crap about the ruger M77 MKII I admit you were right. but I am now in your club haha.

Mike

Well? How did the shooting comparison go? Been awful quiet........

It seems that race4hills, bythebook, tuck2 , joghotrod and myself, all have MK II's that shoot....... We should call our new group of happy rugerizers, the 'Club Ho-Ho's'. No haha's allowed......

If the guys that like japanese rifles get together, they could name their group, 'Club ahh-so's.....'

just a suggestion...... :wink:
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

The CZ guys could take a page from the old SNL, with Dan Akroyd and Steve Martin. They were just a couple of 'Wild and Crazy Guys' from schleck-o-schluhh-vocklia. Good club name, huh?....... wild and crazy. Get it? :lol: from the same country. Get it? :?
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

The tikka/ socko crowd could go with something along the lines of 'Club Vikings'........ Or, sumthin like the 'Kisser Klub'. As in "Kiss me, I'm Svedish......." :idea:
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

The Steyr/mauser guys could make up a club called 'Kaiser Klub', or 'Klub Kraut'........ :eek:
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

But....... When it's all said and done, if it ain't ruger,(or ANY other American) gun club, it's just a haha, to me........