700 SPS Varmint vs. 12FV

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: 700 SPS Varmint vs. 12FV

Post by greystone »

Gube wrote:My vote is for the Savage's as well. I have a VLP and a BTVSS (204's) and they were both under 1/2" at 100 yds right out of the box. My next dilemma is now I want another 204 but in a light weight version that will still be just as accurate as both of my 10 pound savage's. I've been looking at the CZ-527 sporter which feels really nice, and the CZ Varmint style which is a bit heavier but still feels okay.
I've even checked out the new remington model 700 VTR in 204 with the triangular barrel and cheap tupperware stock. That one felt really nice in the hands but have heard a few horror stories about them.
OR I just might have to go with another savage but in a lighter version.
Hey Gube. I shoot a VTR and couldn't be happier. It's light, easy to carry and accurate right out of the box. I haven't heard any horror stories. I have one in a 204. My buddy has one in 22-250 and my dealer has one in 308. No problems here. Dave
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

greystone wrote:
Gube wrote:My vote is for the Savage's as well. I have a VLP and a BTVSS (204's) and they were both under 1/2" at 100 yds right out of the box. My next dilemma is now I want another 204 but in a light weight version that will still be just as accurate as both of my 10 pound savage's. I've been looking at the CZ-527 sporter which feels really nice, and the CZ Varmint style which is a bit heavier but still feels okay.
I've even checked out the new remington model 700 VTR in 204 with the triangular barrel and cheap tupperware stock. That one felt really nice in the hands but have heard a few horror stories about them.
Hey Gube. I shoot a VTR and couldn't be happier. It's light, easy to carry and accurate right out of the box. I haven't heard any horror stories. I have one in a 204. My buddy has one in 22-250 and my dealer has one in 308. No problems here. Dave
Did you have to go with an "after market" trigger or is the original okay?
What kind of groups and with what bullets does it print out at?
It sure felt nice in the hands, but I'm quite fussy when it comes to accuracy and it's nice to hear success stories from other guys that have had first hand experience.
Savage Vaporizer
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Gube wrote:
greystone wrote:
Did you have to go with an "after market" trigger or is the original okay?
What kind of groups and with what bullets does it print out at?
It sure felt nice in the hands, but I'm quite fussy when it comes to accuracy and it's nice to hear success stories from other guys that have had first hand experience.
Gube-I use the stock X-Mark Trigger. I did lighten it down to 2.5 lbs. Very easy to do. Just back off on the weight screw but use a pull gauge. I really like this trigger-there doesn't seem to be any noticeable creep. When I bought my VTR I thoroughly cleaned the barrel and ran some patches of Break Free bore paste through it. Also I was able to float the barrel by using wooden dowel rods and some 60 grit paper. I needed an easy to carry around rifle with practical hunting accuracy and thats what I got. I entered it in the Postal Shoot. So far thats been kind of fun for me. Anyhow I'll try this shortcut. This is now sort of typical of groups that I shoot off of bags. Dave
http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5466
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Started a new thread for fixing the stock on a Savage 12FV.

http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5488
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

I have owned and used (still do) both remy's and savages and I will say this, my SPS varmint IS a shooter, simple as that. The model 12 FV on the other hand is a coppered up useless rifle at the moment. I am waiting on some wipe out then I am sure it will deliver the goods but in the short term I have decided not to shoot it. I have one of each because I like qualities of both guns. Always liked the simplicity of the remington bolt, strong and reliable have never owned a 700 that would NOT shoot. The savage of coarse has a great trigger and thier legendary claim to accuracy....They both have crappy stocks but those can be replaced. Either which way you decide to go all I see is you coming up as a winner. The last remington I bought made 2 trips to the range and then went back to the store for replacement, for, you guessed it......a pair of savages!!!
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO
broncsandwhiskey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage modle 12 LRPV

Post by broncsandwhiskey »

Well my two cents wont count for nothing but I own 13 Savage rifles and a few Remingtons and I would pick the Savage every time. The #1 factor is because you can do 95% of the gunsmithing yourself and that saves alot of coin. As far as copper fouling buy a fire lapping kit out of Brownells and that will cure alot of that and help with accuracy. I have done it to all my rifles and it works. So take it for what it's worth and you'll make the right choice. Ride Up!!!
RIDE UP!!!
Savage LRPV .204 With a Burris 6.5x20 Mill Dot
And alot of other savage rat killers