How to improve my groups

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
hozz57

How to improve my groups

Post by hozz57 »

These are some groups I shot with my Savage model 12 FV before restocking. (Tupperware stock)

My buddy gave me a "Take-off" stock from a BVSS that had about a 1/2" cut off the last 10" of the bottom of the forend. I filled the magazine well with a mixture of lead shot and JB Weld. I then glued a nice piece cherry to the part of the stock that had been cut and bedded the action into the stock.

And this is the first 5 shot group I shot after restocking followed by a pretty good 5 groups!

The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Re: How to improve my groups

Post by sniper model 12 »

I too have a "tupperware stock" that has been giving me fits. I got some good advise from some posters: silverfox, acolco, and glen.

With factory stock I was 1/2" groups (holes were 1/2" apart) at 100yds off Harris bipod and a sandbag. I then added bar weight to the butt until the gun reached 13 lbs even. Groups shrunk to 3 shots inside a nickel at the same distance. All shots were taken with factory ammo too.

After entering the postal shoot, I have now added #6 lead shot to the butt. . . . but I haven't measured the weight. . . yet. And, I haven't got a good opportunity to really shoot for groups. I got some plinking done (11 shots) for practice.

you have some great groups IMHO.
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I was going to use ACLOCO's Savage tupperware stock modification but then my buddy offered to give me that BVSS stock for free. I might go ahead and do the mod on the tupperware stock and have it ready to go for a predator rifle build (in .204 Ruger of course) that I have been planning.

That's one of the nice things about Savage rifles. I can buy a used savage of almost any caliber for next to nothing and build a great shooter using take-off parts that I find on the net.
My total expense for this last rifle was $435.00 including the scope! :eek:

By the way, the ammo I used was a load that I had worked up for my remmy xr-100. I'm looking forward to tweeking it in for the savage.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

hozz, You want to make $5.00?
Cadeuses
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model Seven Predator

Post by Cadeuses »

Hotshot wrote:hozz, You want to make $5.00?
^^Now that's funny...^^

Wait a minute! Hozz, I'll see his five and raise it five...
Cadeuses

Remington Model Seven Predator in .204 Ruger