Results of our Elk hunt!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Results of our Elk hunt!

Post by 204Shooter »

Well, we made it back. And yes, we were successful!

I was given a heads up about an area and at the last minute, changed my mind on where to go. A friend from work told me that his father had been seeing elk in an area that was much closer than the area that I had planned to hunt. So last Friday night, we headed out. We hunted all three of the next days with only seeing 1 track. Yes, only one track!

There were other hunters in the area and we talked to quite a few of them. None of them had seen any elk and no one had gotten one either. I was getting quite discouraged and knew that I had made a mistake by not sticking to my original plans. In fact, during the middle of the day on Monday, we even discussed making the 5 hour trip to our original spot for the last day of the hunt. But, with the time and expense involved, we just decided to stick it out.

That night, we met a rancher that had been running cattle in the area most of the year. He told us that he had seen a few elk throughout the year, but most of them had been cows and calves. He had seen a few spikes but only one branch-antlered bull, a 5-point rag horn. I knew then that we were in the wrong place. :(

We had been staking out water holes for the last two nights but decided to cruise around instead, hoping to see something moving around at dusk. As we entered the meadow where our trailer was parked, we noticed a cow and calf in the middle. We watched them for a couple of minutes as we got out of the truck.

Then my son suggested blowing the bugle and cow call just to see what would happen. I resisted a little telling him that it was pointless since we could see that there was no bull in the meadow and we were at the camper for heaven's sakes. "We certainly could not call anything into our camp!"

Well, he handed me the bugle anyway and I let out a couple of cow calls. But as soon as I bugled, I got an answer! I was surprised to say the least but thought, "OK, lets play with him a little." I kept cow calling but every time I would bugle, he would bugle back. And with every bugle, he would sound closer. All three of us (my dad, my son and I) were having the time of our lives. We had never been able to bugle in a bull before. My son was particularly excited as this was the first bugle he had ever heard in the wild.

Then about five or so minutes later with the light quickly fading, my father spotted an elk at the edge of the trees, about 140 yards away. I could not believe it! It was a little 4x5 rag horn facing directly toward us, trying to figure out what he was looking at. And Rick, you got it right! I was shooting my .270 WSM with Barnes 130 gr. TSX bullets. I have never taken a shot on an animal that was facing directly toward me but I had confidence in my loads. At the shot, he whirled and ran into the trees. We listened closely as we heard the beating of his hooves slowly fade into the distance. "Dang it," I thought. "I was hoping to hear him crash" but that sound never came.

As we made our way over to where we had last seen him, my son mentioned the other elk. My father and I looked at him and asked, "What other elk?" He explained that there was another smaller elk closer to the trees. I had been so focused on the bull that I had never seen the other elk.

We soon found a set of prints but could see no blood. By this time, it was getting dark enough that we needed to get the flashlights to help us. A sinking feeling came over me as I thought about the prospects. "Did I simply miss or did I wound him? Are we going to find him tonight? What condition will the meat be in if we find him tomorrow...if we ever find him."

About that time, my son (whom I was very proud of), says, "Hey, here's some more tracks." As I made my way closer to him, he also blurted out "And here's some blood!" Sure enough, another set of tracks and blood! As Tarrin and I had our noses to the ground looking, my dad looked up and shined his flashlight ahead. "Uh, he's right here." He had only made it about 25 yards from where he had been shot. A single tree had obscured our view of him falling. And all this happened only 140 yards from our trailer. We were all relieved and elated!

Tarrin:

As we field dressed him, I was struck with how little damage there was to his vitals. The bullet definitely hit his lungs and he had massive internal bleeding, but not near the devastation that I expected from an elk that only made it 25 yards. Tarrin also wanted to find the bullet to see what happened to it. We could see the entrance hole but no clear exit hole. So the next morning, Tarrin set out to find the bullet. We could vaguely make out the bullet's path and it ended at a hole in the front of the stomach. My curiosity ended with the statement, "Well, I bet it is still inside the stomach." However, this did not damper his curious nature. I slit the stomach wide open for him, he donned the latex gloves and dove in. After about 15 minutes of playing in the soup, he comes running over to us with a big grin in his face! "I found it!", he said as my dad and I just laughed and shook our heads.

The 130 gr bullet had shed one petel and weighed 122 grains after traveling nearly the entire length of the inner cavity. It came to rest in the very rear portion of the stomach. I really like the new bonded bullets because that are cheaper than the Barnes and I feel that they are just as effective. But after trying all summer to come up with a good load, I was resigned to the fact that the Barnes TSX bullets are the only bullet that my gun will shoot accurately and consistently. These bullets do not have the explosive, jelly making effect of a traditional bullet, but so far, I can't fault their effectiveness.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Re: Results of our Elk hunt!

Post by Bergcrane2 »

That's a great testament for Barnes. Congrats! I'm gonna load my 300WSM with some TSX for a caribou hunt were planning.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Great story and great pictures. :D Sounds like you guys had a good time. Someday I will venture out west and go Elk hunting. It looks like alot of fun.
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Nice job Shooter, that should be some good eating. Congrats.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Hi Brian. I'm not ignoring you buddy!! There is just a whole bunch of work around here these days & I'm trying to keep up with things.

That's an awful nice Elk you got there!! And the way the hunt went down is just too cool!! Isn't it funny how you can cover 5 miles in a day & come back to camp & shoot a bull?? :lol: Now if you woulda sat there for a month you would have not seen 1 Elk. Congratulations all the way around on your hunt & to Tarrin for finding that bullet. I bet Barnes would be interested in seeing a pic of it's expansion as well as the weight retention on the head on shot. Did you by chance weigh it?? Inquiring minds want to know these things man!! :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Congrats on the successful hunt!

Elk hunting is a dream I personally plan on accomplishing someday!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Very Nice Job Brian.

I haven't hunted in a whole lot of years. When I see deer grazing in my yard it makes me wonder why not. When I walk the forest without seeing so much as a squirrel I remember, Its not easy. :)
Thanks for the story.
Even though I do not hunt I remember my youth when all I dreamed of was being "Grizzly Adams and living in a handhewn cabin of the "Thickwoods Forest" in Alberta. Thickwoods might be an open prairie for all I know but its the spot I picked on a map as a kid.
Congrats.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
mriddell
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700

Post by mriddell »

15 minutes in the gut heap looking for the bullet...that kid's a hunter! Good tracker, too. Good job.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Awesome. It seems more often then not that the journey of the hunt is more meaningful than the score of the rack. Elk hunting is always tough, so it's nice to see it all come together right next to camp!
Congratulations.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Congratulations on your hunt shooter! The best part of it is you got to hunt with your dad and your son, that's priceless.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.