So You Want To Buy A Remington 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: So You Want To Buy A Remington 204

Post by Lenard »

Glen, I agree my standards are pretty high. But I have been extremely lucky in buying guns that shot well, off the shelf. My Sako 243, is extremely accurate with a HB barrel, shooting under a half inch at 200 yards. My little Mini Mauser, properly bedded, will shoot in the .300" range at 100 yads with 40 grain bullets(223). I do have one custom Sako with a Douglas barrel that is a 1/4" gun at 100 yards.(223)

Here is what I have found. With the proper bedding, which might take a while to get it right, will make most any barrel of quality shoot 1/2" at 100 yards.

As an example, the bedding on the Mauser 223 finally gave up this spring. It was shooting over an inch and I was just sick. I fully bedded the barrel, after putting a couple lbs of pressure on the barrel and it is back to shooting again. I suppose the first bedding was done 15 years ago.

I shoot rockchucks mainly with the centerfires and there are times, when we get to see nothing but their heads. It takes a pretty accurate rifle to head shoot them at 200-300 yards. Besides, I am almost 69 years young and not nearly as steady as some of the shooters here. I want every ounce of help I can get. I really appreciate this site and have learned a lot from just reading what you fellows have to write.

Thanks again.

Lenard
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

Have you tried all load options? If it were me, I would start with the cheapest stuff first. H4895 and 39gr.BKs shoot effortlessly for me.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

Va Varminter

I have tried various bullets/powder combinations and they all seem to shoot about the same. Until the gun shows me it can shoot fairly accurate, I will forgo working up loads. Same thing with chronographing. I hope it is not worn out from shooting before I have developed a good load.

This has been one of my more memorable screwups. I have about 8 days before the laminated stock comes in.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions.

Lenard
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I like the Rem so far I've had good luck with them.
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Lenard

Post by Lenard »

I think in fairness to Remington, that the gun I bought was really their entry level SS gun with a plastic stock. I truly believe they do a better job on the higher end guns, as the varmint models. I bought mine with the belief that their barrels were always some of the best on factory rifles. Perhaps I had not paid attention too much in the past 15 years.

Lenard
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Seems you may have picked up the SPS model! I got one myself a little while back (in .22-250) and I haven't had any complaints so far.

Difference with me is, I didn't expect what I normally would out of it so when it started giving me 3/4"-1" groups right off the bat, I was pleased with it. Prior to that range session, I did replace the chincy plastic stock with a 700P HS Precision takeoff which I believe did help. Since then, I have fiddled with the trigger to get a lighter pull and I am having my smith work up some loads for me. I expect MUCH more for the next range session.

Mabye if you give it a chance and fiddle around, it will work out the way you expect it too. It is after all. an entry level rifle. I understand your disappointment but just kick back and give it a chance. :wtg:

Also be aware that this is coming from a DIE HARD Savage fan who wouldn't trade his VLP for the world! ;)
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

It helps to know how to give a rifle a tune up. That is glass bed the action with about two inches of the barrel, free float the rest of the barrel, adjust the trigger, lapp the bolt locking lugs, and recrown the barrel. Get a Boyds laminated stock ,get rid of plastic. I have given some Remington 700 rifles part and some all of the tune up to get them to shoot under one inch 100 yard groups..