Savage LRPV 204 ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
chasinElk

Savage LRPV 204 ?

Post by chasinElk »

I just came across a used Savage LRPV 204 that I'm thinking about picking up. If any one has one, what do you think of them? What are they worth? Thanks
"Speed is nothing without controll"
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Re: Savage LRPV 204 ?

Post by dannybracy »

I think that they first came out in '06, and those had a few kinks in the trigger in them. They fixed them and put in a target trigger for 07. I love mine. It is deadly. With a little load development i got it down to a .3" five shot group. And I hope to improve that this spring. I had an issue w/ it not firing, but I turned out to be a bad set of Win. brass that wasn't long enough and it allowed the cartridge to move a little when the firing pin hit it. Before I figured that out however I had sent it back to savage. They checked headspace, went through the bolt, and put a new firing pin in for me and had it back to me in A WEEK!!!!! So there was noting wrong with the rifle, it was just the brass.

I can't say enough about mine, I love it. Hawkeye Joe was the .204um Group winner and he has the same rifle, I am sure he can chime in. The only thing is that they are heavy. Not a walk around rifle unless you are on ROIDS and I am 6'5" 275lbs. Other than that, I think that is its only downfall, so if you are going to shoot it off a bench and it is a good deal.......i have seen used ones go for $699-$750 range. I would grab it. Good luck and post pics!!! -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Those LRPV's are nice rifles. Just make sure you look it over good first. Start with the simple stuff like making sure the barrel is centered in the stock channel. They're a little nose heavy so don't hesitate to mount a heavy scope for better balance. The only work I did to mine was sand the stock smooth with some 600 grit for better slip in the bags. I just sanded the small patches that touch the bags, not the whole stock.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

chasinElk

Post by chasinElk »

Thanks Guys -Sounds like they Shoot. What weight bullet do they seem to prefer? I was hoping 39-40 gr.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

Mine will shoot 1/2" groups with the 32 V-maxes as well as the 39gr BK's. I got it down to .3" groups with the 40 gr Vmax. But each rifle likes its own bullet, so you will have to figure out which one to feed it. Although, many guys have NO PROBLEMS making the 39gr Blitz shoot! I didn't either, but vmaxes are much cheaper than BK's where I get them, so that is why I shoot them. And the vmaxes sure do make those Prarie Poodles pop!!!
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
xr10065669
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mark II .204

Post by xr10065669 »

I LOVE my Savage LRPV in the .204. This was my first savage rifle and I will always shoot savage from here on out. I would check the barrel being centered in the stock though, because I did have that problem when I oredered mine. I was a little upset at first, but it wasnt put together right so I took the stock off and put it back on and the problem was solved. Mine loves 39 grain sierra BK's, behind H4895 and will shoot .4's at 100 yards with 5 shot groups. I know that isn't as good as some other shooters listed above, but my ruger target gray wont shoot that good of a group. I would buy that rifle after looking it over!
chasinElk

Post by chasinElk »

Ok Guys, I talked to the owner of the 204 LRPV, he bought the gun in 2006 so it does not have the upgraded Trigger,but has had no problems with it. Should I be concerned about the trigger? Barrel is centered in the stock, about 250 rds down the barrel.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I have a Savage Model 12 VLP in 204 (of course) and it has the varmint accutrigger on it (adjusts down to 1.5 lbs) which is probably what the rifle you are looking at has. I nearly bought a first run (2006??) LRPV and I remember it did not have the target trigger on it.

I never got used to the accurelease (the little blade that must be depressed before it will fire) though it was a small price to pay for an adjustable trigger. Just in the new year I bought and installed a Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger and I like it better.
http://www.riflebasix.com/savage.html

I would say buy the gun as is and if you feel the need you can change the trigger later.

Just remember that when you start swapping barrels (If you own a Savage you will start this hobby ;) ) that the LRPV uses the large shank action/barrels, something to remember for the future.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm really fond of the SharpShooter trigger in my 10/12 model (not an LRPV) I've had it for a long time, and owned several. It can be adjusted to 14oz. according to the literature, and it's very crisp and clean. They make a lighter version now, but I wouldn't want it any lighter for my uses.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
chasinElk

Post by chasinElk »

Well, it looks like I will have a 204 LRPV next week.... now base's-rings scope,loads :chin: Thanks guys :lol: