Scope Mounts

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
darchell
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varmint VLP

Scope Mounts

Post by darchell »

Can anyone tell me what scope mounts are used on the Savage VLP? I purchased one today and it is not in yet. I do not remember if the rear of the receiver is rounded or not. The front mount of a two piece mount is fairley standard. The rear is either for a flat reaciever or round. Please let me know if anyone does know? Thanks
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Scope Mounts

Post by futuretrades »

go to the web site of manufacturer of the mounts that you will be buying from. they may not tell you if the receiver is rounded or not, but they should list the mounts for your rifle. that is all you really need to know.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

My Savage VLP "w/accutrigger" has a round receiver and I used Leupold bases #55742 with #49959 30mm High Rings (.900) to mount a VXIII 8.5x25x 50mm scope (varmint reticle of course). I was going to use Warne rings as they are sturdy and a well made mounting system but I decided to stay with Leupold. My VLP handles both Hornady bullets without a problem but my T/C Encore .204 wont stabilize the 40gr. Hornady or the 39gr. BlitzKings. BTW my rifle has a internal magazine which I understand is replaced by the newer external magazine. Which one did you get or do you have the single shot? :D
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
darchell

Post by darchell »

giterdone, thanks for the reply. I got the VLP with the detachable magazine. I will pick it up on Wed, the 25th. How is your accuracy? I am a little nervous buying a Savage. I had said previously that I have always been a Remington man but big green seems to be turning little pink :lol: Any words of wisdom about he rifle you can spare? Oh, I got the weaver bases and rings. I hope to poof some ground hogs this season. Looking to extend my season as long as I can.
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

Darchell...I am very excited with the accuracy I am getting seeing @ 100yards. But because of the weather (I live in the corrupt state of Illinois) snow snow and more snow and cold. I have not been able to test the results of my load development. I started out with a T/C Encore (26" SS bbl.) in .204 and it wont handle the heavier bullets no how. The Savage does handle them very well but the best load to date you wont believe it. I will chronograph it as soon as I can. I had two factory cases of 200 rounds each of 40gr, Hornady V-Max but no 32gr. V-Max factory loads, so I pulled 20 of the 40gr. bullets (charge was 29.3grs. of ball powder) and replaced them with 32gr. V-Max bullets that I had on hand. Five shot groups you can cover with a 3/8" circle, im not lying I just measured it again as I post this. I dont know what the velocity is but I bought some loaded 32gr. Hornady Factory loads and pulled a bullet and weighed the charge and it is 30.1 grs. of a similar looking ball powder. No I have not shot a factory loaded 32gr. yet but I hope they shoot as good. FYI I did not change the seating depth from the factory setting. I use a BR 1,000 yd. front rest and Sinclair rear bags and I broke the barrel in the proper method of shoot & clean shoot & clean for the first 50-60 rounds. When testing loads I clean after every 10 shots. Resist the temptation to shoot a lot of rounds and break your barrel in properly, you wont be disappointed.
darchell

Post by darchell »

Giterdoone, thanks for the reply. Nice shootin... :lol: I think the powder they use at the hornady factory is proprietary to them and won't be for sale over the counter. I remember discussing this with them way back when the Light Magnums came out. I looked at the Savage web site and will follow their recommendations for break in of the barrel. I have everything additional I need to start shooting just waiting for it all to get here and the time. I am going to start with the 32 Grain V-Max. I can't shoot Coyote here without a permit and even with one not with a rifle. I can shoot ground hogs though and that’s what I will be looking for. I get very jealous looking out at the other posts of the area you guys have to hunt. I got nuttin..... :wall: This state is terrible when it comes to hunting. Were to small and compact. Either way thanks for the info and let me know what kind of velocity you get when you know. Post it on here I am sure many would also like to see. Good Shootin, Darren
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Good luck with the VLP darchell! Have one here and it's awesome! Shoot's real nice with the 39 SBK's and i'll be trying the 35 berger's here in a few weeks! Best group to date was low .2's.
JD11
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter low profile

Post by JD11 »

A bit of advice, you might NOT want to consider buying the Leupold scope mounts. I was going to buy them and thankfully good old Midway has buyer's reviews. Evidently Leupold really screwed up on the design of the rear mount. If you mount it one way, it hangs over the receiver port, if you reverse it, your scope ring sets too far back. Check out the reviews, last time I looked, about 12 guys returned them and they state why. I ended up with Burris, the ring mount isn't offset in relation to the mount screws and they fit great.
giterdone

Post by giterdone »

JD11...I dont think Leupold ("screwed up") had much of a choice considering where Savage drilled the rear mounting holes and "Leupold's" rear base design (built in windage screws). Im using a Leupold VXIII 8.5X-25X scope on my Savage 12VLP (internal mag.) and I dont have a problem with having the slight "overhang" on the receiver port. It does not interfer with loading or ejecting cases and the scopes rear eyepiece is in the proper position. I feel it depends on the type of scope a person is using and its physical dimensions as to wether or not the Leupold mounts can be used. My own personal preference is Warne rings and bases, but this time around I used Leupold and have had zero problems with the above combo.

3/17/09.... After I posted this I checked out the Burris bases and I stand corrected. The Burris rear base has the windage screw in the middle. JD11 is right on.