How much does free floating a barrel improve accuracy!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ultralightshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger m77 markII ultralight

How much does free floating a barrel improve accuracy!

Post by ultralightshooter »

Hey guys, i have a ruger m77 mark II ultra light in 204 with a synthetic stock! I was wondering how much my accuracy would improve if i had the barrel free floated! Any info helps, thanks! :)
tuck2

Re: How much does free floating a barrel improve accuracy!

Post by tuck2 »

Every rifle is different. Check to find out where the barrel is contacting the stock. I have free floated a light weight rifle barrel and found that it shot bigger groups and then put in a glass bedding barrel pressure pad in the forearm with the rest of the barrel free floated. Over the years I have found that free floating a heavy barrel will in most cases improve the accuracy ,but with light barrels its a toss up.
stevecrea

Re: How much does free floating a barrel improve accuracy!

Post by stevecrea »

I have had a similar experience many years ago freefloating a light 240 Weatherby barrel in a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. I was attempting to improve its accuracy, which was in the 1.0 to 1.25 MOA category, which was well within Weatherby's 1.5 inch guaranty. I removed the front pressure point, and the accuracy deteriorated somewhat.

I eventually put a little heavier Shilen barrel on it, and then, it shot well.

However, putting glass bedding underneath the chamber area for three or so inches may help as well.
Novus Ordo Seclorem ("a new order has begun")