The new rifle has arrived at last!!!!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
adam

The new rifle has arrived at last!!!!

Post by adam »

I finally picked up my new .204 last weekend from my riflesmith. It's been an 8 month wait but it was deffinately worth it! :D :D

Stiller predator action with black fluted bolt.
Krieger 26" fluted No6 profile barrel with 1-10 twist.
Bell and carlson black synthetic thumb hook stock.
Jewel trigger.
Topped off with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope with NP-R2 reticule.

First kill. Only 150yds.
Second kill at 240yds.

I hope to start developing some loads in the next month or so to really see how it shoots. I had the 1-10 twist to shoot the 39 and 40 garain bullets. Wish me luck!!!!
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: The new rifle has arrived at last!!!!

Post by surfclod »

That sounds like a very nice setup you have there, you definately did not take any shortcuts on components.

I am curious about the sound suppressor/moderator on your rifle, (I am assuming that is what it is). I have read that it is becoming more common in European countries to have suppressors on firearms, in fact it was workplace safety and sound issues that made it far more common.

How much difference does it make, are you able to shoot without ear plugs or hearing protectors?

How long of a life can one expect from a suppressor used on a rifle shooting a relatively "hot" round like the .204??

While they are not an option here in Canada, if I lived in the USA I would definately jump through the hoops to get a Class 3 licence and a supressor. I hate it when I forget to put in my earplugs and have a ringing in my ears for the next half hour.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

adam--You sure put together a fantastic rifle there!!! That sure looks like it was worth the long wait. Keep giving us reports on how it is working for you.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Adam,

I have two 12 twist barrels that shoot the 39-SBK's, you should be OK. My only concern may would be if you try to over drive them they could come apart (presuming these 204 bullets have thin jackets).

Jim
adam

Post by adam »

surfclod wrote:That sounds like a very nice setup you have there, you definately did not take any shortcuts on components.

I am curious about the sound suppressor/moderator on your rifle, (I am assuming that is what it is). I have read that it is becoming more common in European countries to have suppressors on firearms, in fact it was workplace safety and sound issues that made it far more common.

How much difference does it make, are you able to shoot without ear plugs or hearing protectors?

How long of a life can one expect from a suppressor used on a rifle shooting a relatively "hot" round like the .204??

While they are not an option here in Canada, if I lived in the USA I would definately jump through the hoops to get a Class 3 licence and a supressor. I hate it when I forget to put in my earplugs and have a ringing in my ears for the next half hour.
It makes a considerable difference. I could shoot all day without having to wear ear protection. The loudest thing is the bullet going super sonic. The moderator will out last the barrel so long as I keep it cleaned and oiled regularly. They are becoming more popular because of health and safety and also environmental noise polution is kept to a minimum i.e there is less for the neighbours to complain about!! :lol:

Cheers silverfox. I just hope when I get reloading that it will produce some of these super tight groups and velocities that you guys on here are producing!
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'