WTBuild Savage 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Paul
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ MGM barrel

WTBuild Savage 204

Post by Paul »

Of those that have built a 204 using Savage is there any tips, since all I have are Encores? Barrel, stock, etc.
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Re: WTBuild Savage 204

Post by JBinMontana »

Paul, I'm all ears on this one as well as I want a Savage in .204 myself.
JB
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Post by giterdone »

Everything you need to know about building a Savage piece by piece and where to find/buy it is on http://www.savageshooters.com
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
JBinMontana
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle 22" Bull Barrel

Post by JBinMontana »

Thank you!
JB
long range dogr
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls

Post by long range dogr »

What is it that you are wanting to know? Savages are prolly the easiest platform to build on.(IMO)
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

1. Purchase a Savage Precision Target Action or sporter action from a Savage dealer. Actions available are here: http://www.savagearms.com/TA_223_Bolt.htm

2. Get a ready to go barrel, with a custom or standard chamber (you supply the reamer for the custom chamber in most cases) from Shilen Barrels, Pac-Nor Barrels, or Sharp Shooter Supply. Buy the best grade barrel: Select Match Shilen, Super Match Pac-Nor, Brux cut rifled barrel at Sharpshooter Supply. Or have your smith thread up up a Lija, Krieger, or other high end barrel.

3. Stocks are available from Sharp Shooter Supply or Richard's Micro Fit and many others. Action screws are available from Sharp Shooter Supply as are pillar bedded semi-finished stocks.

4. Purchase a set of headspace gauges (I buy them from Pacific Tool and Gauge).

5. Purchase a barrel nut wrench. You can make a barrel vise with two blocks of wood and a bench vise, or purchase one. You gotta hold the barrel in a vise to free up both hands for step 7.

6. Check the Target action's recoil lug locating pin, as most come too long to allow the lug to seat against the action. If you see a thin line of light between the lug and action, file the locating pin down until it clears the bottom of the slot.

7. Smear a bit of Tru-Kote Barrel Thread Protector (Sinclair International) on all threads, wipe off excess. Screw the barrel nut on, place the recoil lug on, be sure to guide the locator pin into its slot, screw the barrel down almost to the end of the threads, close the action with the Go headspace gauge in the chamber, screw the barrel down until it stops on the gauge (don't crank it more than hand snug). Using a 1/2" torque wrench snapped in the square hole of the barrel nut wrench, torque the barrel nut to 30 - 40 ft lbs. Recheck headspace with the Go and No Go gauges.

8. Install the scope bases, rings and scope. You will have to shorten the front screw of the front Weaver base so it doesn't bottom out on the barrel threads before tightening (you may want to do this before installing the barrel to be sure the screw is clearing the barrel threads). I use a Brownells tool for holding scope ring/base screws and a file. Alternatively, you could shim both bases.

9. Stuff it in the stock (glass bed it if you must), being sure the front action screw doesn't interfere with the lower locking lug, file it shorter if it does. Go shooting.

You don't really need a better trigger than the factory Target Trigger for most work. Don't be surprised if your cobbled together rifle shoots somewhere between .50" and .25" groups.
bythebook
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77VT and TC Oncore also have access to Savage

Post by bythebook »

giterdone wrote:Everything you need to know about building a Savage piece by piece and where to find/buy it is on http://www.savageshooters.com
There is more of a concentration of knowledge about Savages here than anywhere else you can look and it is easy to find, just ask.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Wrangler John

Good post. You seemed to cover all the bases well. Does SSS offer Brux barrels now as an option? I know they used Douglas previously.

Jim Briggs (northlander) at savageshooters is the man to see for do it yourselfers. SSS (Fred Moreo) is the guy who will do it for you. Fred is the preminant Savage smith. He does offer services you can't do in the basement.
IMO do it yourself. You'll save lots of cash and learn a bunch along the way.

Just a word of warning to folks who consider swapping barrels on a Savage. Its highly addictive. Be careful and swap in moderation. And never swap while driving. There oughta be a law bout that. :lol:

IMO best barrels ready to screw on are Shilen or Pac-Nor. I have a couple McGowens and they do shoot well. QC is a little off though. I think they might shoot better if they changed some of thier manufacturing procedures.

Oh Yeah, 11 or 10 twist in the 204R. If you've ever had problems making the 40's shoot in a factory 12 twist they'll really come alive in the proper twist ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Paul
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore w/ MGM barrel

Post by Paul »

Well it has be since 2009 since I did this post and Now I'm in the process of creating my Savage 204. I have aquired 1 308 savage 30" barrel with PTT and 2 223, one with PTT and the other fined tuned trigger. I'm converting the latter to a 204 to carry to Montana this June.

Like wine good things come in time.