Garmin GPS

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Rifle 223
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Garmin GPS

Post by Rifle 223 »

Do any of you guys have one I need to get one and don't know which one to get help me out. :wall:
Dale in OK
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Garmin GPS

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Check out the Garmin E-trex Vista C or model near it. Color screen, small, light, downloadable chips for topo maps, etc. I've got the model just piror to the 'chip' model, and it's all I could ask for in a GPS except not being able to accept their chip, but I've used it from my home location to over 5,000 miles away with perfect results/reception/location, even on the open ocean or desert, etc.

You'd be surprised who's using this unit in some really unfriendly places, it's that good. FWIW
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

I got my first handheld Garmin GPS back in '04. Since then I've had a couple dash mounted versions, and a data logging bluetooth model with no screen or anything. It really depends on what you want to use it for. The turn-by-turn directions type for your vehicle don't translate very well to carrying them around in the woods or fishing. They do make models now that are adequate for several applications, but a model designed for a specific application is usually more enjoyable to use. Things to consider are the application(s) you need them for, ease of use vs features, and associated costs, like how you update the maps, or upload customized maps of your own, and what updates cost, if anything.

Maybe start here.

To tell you the truth, the turn-by-turn directions models have messed me up as much as they've made things easier. They don't account for construction and many new exit/route options. The worst was having to drive 4 miles through the worst of Gary, Indiana last fall when the GPS told me there was a detour. I could see the ramp I wanted was open, but the GPS told me to exit onto a detour, and I trusted it. It's like you forget how to read road signs as soon as you start relying on them. I don't use one anymore. For offroad, I still love the first Etrex Vista (black and white) I bought, even though there's much more advanced color models out now.
Rifle 223

Post by Rifle 223 »

Sorry guys I need one for driving
Dale in OK
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

Looks like the Garmin 765T is best bang for the buck right now. ~$190 plus ~$90 for lifetime updates. (Fast Internet connection recommended. The update file can be 2gb+.)

Both of the above prices can be lower if you wait for a sale or %off coupon code somewhere online. Also, don't worry about buying a refurbished unit from Garmin if it takes the price from $190 to $135. A refurbished electronic device usually has the bugs fixed in it, and I've heard good things about Garmin standing behind their product, even if it is a refurb.

Look around the slickdeals site for advice and prices and you can probably get a midrange unit from Garmin or some other brand for $100 or less.

One other option, especially if you have one of the Android cell phones from Verizon, is to get the free Google Maps Navigation app on your phone. I've heard it has great turn-by-turn driving directions, and you don't have to lug another device around with you.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

I have a Garmin Nuvi 755T and I'd probably buy another of the same if this one were stolen. It does what it's supposed to do, for the better part, but I have had a few problems.

If you turn off of your programmed route and take a short detour, like pulling off an Interstate interchange for gas, when you turn around to resume your trip it's as likely to tell you to drive up your own tailpipe as to put you back on the original course. Pulling out of a gas station, I literally had it tell me to make a right-hand turn at four consecutive corners (sending me in a complete circle) before it figured out where it was. You learn to take a bearing which way you'll need to start out when you resume driving and give the GPS a couple hundred yards to gather its wits.

If you're about to make a Z-turn on multi-lane roads, like you're turning left off one street with multiple turn lanes onto another multi-lane, to be followed shortly by another turn, it gives you no indication which turn lane to use so you'll be properly positioned for the follow-up turn.

Those two I think are just the nature of the beast. The other problem is that if I'm driving on a road with another close-by that runs parallel -- like all those service roads in Texas that run next to the Interstate -- it'll suddenly decide I'm driving on the parallel road. I have to reboot it to straighten it out. But I think this one is a flaw with my particular unit.

Gripes aside, it does a good job of navigating, even in concrete jungles, surrounded by tall buildings. It's typical for it to direct me right up to the proper doorstep even in a major metropolitan area.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I have a Nuvi as well. 255 I believe Works pretty well as a talking Nav-bitch, but as mentioned it can get messed up and is only as good as the current maps.
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

We took a "barking Betty" with us on the last PDog trip, from Indy to South Dakota, via WI and MN, (because of the flooding a couple of years ago). I also took my road atlases. Betty gave us fits, but DID help us find restaurants in strange locales. Most of the time, I relied on my atlases, because A) They are nice and quiet B) I trust them more than Betty.

She got upset every time we took a potty break, or got off the highway for gas. If we hadn't had to detour around Iowa that year, she'd have stayed at home, I think. We know that routing really well, and don't need her yammering.
I often read road atlases just for fun and to learn more about the area I'm heading to, or avoiding. Betty isn't much good for that. I can read an atlas sitting on the can at home, too, and that adds a much different dimension to it all.

Yeah, I know, I'm a fossil. I like things I can get my hands on, especially if they DON'T get me lost.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I bought a Garmin 265-T a couple of years ago to keep me from getting lost in the St Louis area when we moved...and I've used in on a few trips to unfamiliar cities/states....

I've experienced a couple of minor problems, usually involving previously completed construction on interstates, or major roadways, where the maps have not been updated and there is a conflict between highway signage and the GPS unit and it will show you driving "Off Road"....I've sent in a couple of map/route updates and the errors are still present..

I particularly like the fact that mine has the Blue Tooth capability and it indicates the direction your next turn should be and the distance to the turn, so at least I can be prepared to be in the correct lane. Mine drives my wife a little crazy when I change the voice to the Australian female and she has a hard time understanding the pronunciation... :D
AR
Factory/Factory
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

+1 on the Australian female voice. What did you name yours? :lol:
otter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII

Post by otter »

We have a Garmin Nuvi 205 (the wife won it at a National Symposium of some type last year). I've been in the vehicle one time when we used it regularly. We traveled to Mpls-St Paul area in Jan to see our kids and new grandson. Seemed to work well for us. Got us around KC, MO and Des Moines, IA as well as around Mpls. Didn't get lost once. Wife named the Nuvi "Thelma" . . . It is funny to hear the voice sigh and then say "recalculating" when you deviate from the prescribed route, though. Well worth the price we paid for it :wink:.
I hope I can someday be the person my dogs think I am . . .
NRA Endowment member . . .
The only government I trust is my 45-70 Gov't . . .
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

We've got nothing more than a $100 TomTom & it does what we ask it to do. I also have a handheld Garmin eTrex HC series I use to mark the truck when I hunt public land around here. One place is only a couple thousand acres but it's all high walled strip land & getting around in there can get you lost. I like both of my systems. Especially for the money we've spent on them.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rifle 223

Post by Rifle 223 »

Thanks to all :D
Dale in OK