trouble with consistent reloads

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: trouble with consistent reloads

Post by OldTurtle »

I'm not knocking any other equipment.... You don't indicate what equipment you are using on your bench, so I can only go from my experience... I bought a Forster C0-Ax press and sets of Forster Benchrest dies and have never looked back...

I do use some RCBS and Redding neck sizing dies for my bolt actions, but most of my .204 shooting is done with an AR, so FL sizing is a must.....I think the higher quality of dies you can use will produce better results in neck sizing/tension as well as solving concentricity problems..The real key is getting the dies adjusted properly..

I agree with staying with a single stage press... I have a progressive that I use strictly for my practice handgun ammo, but even then, if I'm after quality loads for accuracy, I'll work those up on my single stage press...
AR
Factory/Factory
rossandjet
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 204 s/s lightening sporter

Post by rossandjet »

Keith in Ga wrote:I bought a set of the Hornady dies a while back..........didn't care for them. REALLY worked the necks too much. I've since bought a set of Redding bushing dies, and they work much better. I've also had better luck with Blitzkings than v-max in my guns.

I agree, I have the 204 hornady dies and they doindeed work the necks very hard.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I've been using Hornady custom grade dies for my 204 and I'm getting too much runout. I've tried everything from how I prep my brass to readjusting my dies. I've decided after way too much time at my bench that it has to be the dies. So I "bit the bullet" and ordered Redding Competition Bushing 3 die Neck set. I measured my necks and ordered a bushing. If this doesnt work I'll throw my AR out.

As for bullets I loaded 39g BKs and they did the same things as the 40g Vmax. When I shoot a 5 shot group I'll have 3 holes at 3/8ths of an inch or so then the other 2 are spread out to make the group an inch or larger. I think my barrell may stabilize the 40grainers if I can get rid of runout. If I do the "roll test" on a table I can see about 1 out of 3 wobble slightly. I will be shooting the 39ers some more to compare when I get my new dies.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable