need help deciding on a new 204....

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
dowpet
.204 Ruger Guns: h&r 204 ruger

need help deciding on a new 204....

Post by dowpet »

I am looking for a new 204, and was wandering what you guys were shooting and how good they actually were shooting... I am looking at the ruger m77 mark II target rifle and was wanting some feedback before purchasing it. I currently have a h&r breech loader i picked up just to see if the 204 would shoot with the 22-250 and it doesn't shoot near what i was expecting. But I realize it's a cheap gun and it's not going to!!!!! I really like to shoot the 204 and want to definately upgrade!!!!!! Please help!!

thanks,
dowpet
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Re: need help deciding on a new 204....

Post by trevort »

when I first joined this forum I had a ruger VT in 204. This was its best group

This cost me lots and lots and lots of money as it sent me off on the custom gun quest looking for rifles that did that everytime.

I dont think mine was exceptional, read lots of reports on accurate VTs. Hope their current output from the Ruger factory is as good
dowpet

Post by dowpet »

thanks for the input. I am also looking at a Savage but I don't know which one yet. I have a 111 in a 308 that shoots really well so any input??? BY THE WAY, THAT'S A NICE GROUP..... what's the twist rate on that rifle?
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

dowpet wrote:I really like to shoot the 204 and want to definately upgrade!!!!!! Please help!!
Dow, so much is going to depend on how much of an upgrade (in cost) you want to make and what you're looking for in a new rifle. Obviously you're looking for something that will shoot small groups, but what else (if anything) is important? Is this rifle going to ride bags on a shooting bench or get carried around in the field? Single-shot or repeater? How important are aesthetics?

Savage and Cooper have pretty solid fan bases here on the forum. Both shoot impressive groups, but are vastly different in many other ways. There's a lot of material on here about both and significant debate between the two (some friendly, some not as much), if you're interested in reading about them.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

My Savage 12 Varminter Low consistently shoots under 1" @200 yards, and sometimes much better:

Both were shot @200 yards. The first group is 5/16". Despite the fact that I was monkeying with seating depth, I had several groups that day under 0.6".

The second group (from several months earlier) was 11/64".

Even more remarkable, this was the first rifle I ever developed a load for from scratch. This makes a rookie reloader feel like Superman so naturally I'm prejudiced towards the Savages.
Neil S.
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Neil S. »

Dow,
I have a savage 12fv and think it was a great value. I payed $580 for a gun that will consistently shoot around .5 inch (+ or - depending on how I was doing that day :) ) groups with factory 32 V-max. I only tried one or two boxes of factory 40 V-max but my first 3 shot group of those went into .25"! The other great thing about a savage is that you can easily upgrade later on if you want (Barrel, stock, trigger,......), but if you can offord a Cooper I wouldn't hold you back!

-Neil
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have 2 Savages and they both shot well out of the box. My last one is the thumbhole rifle, love it as a carry rifle.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Griff
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Low Profile

Post by Griff »

Dowpet, I have a Savage model 12 LRPV - it handles well, looks nice and has a fantastic trigger. It is NOT a light rifle however - especially by the time you have topped it off with a quality scope. I use it for shooting from a bench, car bonnet or similar. It is not really a walk around rifle.

Fred_C_Dobbs - what was your starting load for your Savage? what were you shooting, 32's, 39's or 40s?
dowpet

Post by dowpet »

thanks for all the info. I have been looking for a moderate priced( around $750-$800) bench rest rifle that i can shoot off bags... But also want one that won't kill me if i decide to take it to the field for some yotes..... I like the savages but haven't narrowed it down to one specific model. I was honestly leaning towards the Ruger m77 varmint, but am still open to the idea of a savage.. I have a model 111 in a 308 and I LOVE IT!!!!! I like the savage 12 vlp. Just hope i can find it in my price range.....
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

I don't know why you'd struggle to find a VLP for less than $800??

If you're left-handed, this one will go for about $600. Note, I have no interest in this sale and just found it as an example when searching for VLP prices.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =204058210
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

My 204 I just completed 3 weeks ago I staretd 10 monthes ago. Got a great deal on a new rock river ar 15 stripped lower. Bought a dpms lower kit onsale and butstock and buffer tube as well. Ordered shilen match grades 204 stainless bull barrel with matching bolt. Model one upper and a Les Baer Bolt carrier assembly. All said and doneGun less scope, mind you i waited and was patient for sales and midway recently had a 100.00 off on a six hundred order. I built complete less scope for 980.00 This gun shoots five shot 26 grain varmit grenades in the 3s, 34 grain dogtowns 10 mi wind shot a .420 3 shot, 32 grain v max shot in 4s as well, and 40 grain vmax .389 at 100 yrds. I Have two rem 700s a bdl in 22-250 and a Rem VS 308 bull barrel. Neither of these guns shoot groups like this ar does. Spend your money on what you like but this gun made a beleiver out of me. The gun parts can be seen on midway usa web site search ar and then scroll down to Build the ultimate Ar 15. They are not lieing! My buddy is selling some of his guns to build one and his brother as well. Evryonge that sees this thing shoot wants one. I have a Nikon prostaff 4X12 scope on it as of now, but I beleive I am going to take the Leupold 6.5x20x50 off of 22-250 and put on the AR. Happy shooting So far the nikon for a cheapo is holding its own, and very clear!
my204custom
.204 Ruger Guns: Pac-Nor 204 custom

Post by my204custom »

i just built my first 204 I took a Remington short action -- then Pac -Nor did the Barrel - then I had a guy make me a stock-- i haev about 3k in the gun--an I had a scope-- I went to there shop in Brookings Oregon an got to see a lil bit of there shop it was pretty nice in there -- really nice friendly people-- my dads friend is good friends with the Owners--
chris_32212
.204 Ruger Guns: none currently

Post by chris_32212 »

Hello to all. New member here and reading some posts to get some info. Hey VALAR, I am very curious to know more about your AR build. What rate twist shilen barrel did you use? I am guessing it was 24". What trigger did you go with? I am new to AR's although I do have a full size standard issue bushmaster in .223. Any tips you could send my way would be great. :D

Chris
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Chriss it is a 1 in 9 twist Shilen barrel. I was worried this would be two fast for the lighter bullets. Glad I went with it as it shoots them all excellent. I even shot a group in the 3s with varmit grenades. I have never been happier with a gun. I have stock ar dpms trigger kit as of now. I will most likley go with Geissel trigger as money lossens up. I cant wait to see how it shoots with a good trigger!
cobra94
.204 Ruger Guns: (2) M77 MII Ruger, #1 Ruger stainless/laminate

Post by cobra94 »

dowpet,
I have two MKII M77's in .204, one is mine and the other is my son's, they are both standard rifles (wood stock and buled barrel) and mine has had about 400 rounds down the tube so far and is just now starting to shoot good, and my sons is still new other than getting the scope on paper. Both of them has the trigger set to about 2 lbs and the both have been floated. I am still waiting on him to get home on leave from the USMC. He is currently in Afganistain serving our country but should be home mid January just in time to whack a few yotes. I was really let down when I couldn't get mine to group, I tried many different loads (factory and hand loads) and just couldn't find anything that would work through this rifle. I finally tried a load that I found here one the site that seemed like a lot of the guys had posted and were getting good results from and I am now shooting one hole groups with 5 shots at 100 yards using 35 gr. Bergers and 25.1 gr. of RL 10X, I am fortunate enough to have a place to shoot at home so when working up loads it doesn't require a trip to the range so I piddle quite a bit with different loads, I am now working up a load for the .34 gr. Dogtown bullets. between me and my son we have several MKII's in different calibers and we love all of them, the .204 just seemed a little more picky in what it liked compared to some of the other Rugers we have. We have a MKII in a 22-250 that has taken several crows at 300-350 yards using 40 gr. V-Max over 36 gr. IMR3031 powder, my son made a head shot on one that was ranged at 225 yards and tried a head shot at 330 yards (unknown distance until after the shot was made) and it is was a little low and hit it in the upper chest but none the less got the bird.
In saying all of this I am more that satisfied with all of our Rugers, just wished they were still making the MKII instead of the Hawkeye!!!