20VT Fan Club

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
TOO builder
.204 Ruger Guns: Pac Nor barreled single shot Savage

20VT Fan Club

Post by TOO builder »

After reading RIO's 20VT report maybe we need to start a seperate fan club on the 204 forum? I put this together last winter and shot it over the summer. As with Rick I am very happy with it. No, it doesn't launch the pd's at similar ranges like the 204R will however it is very accurate and does well out to 250-300 yards.

Rick, try some H4198 and you just may reach that magical 3750fps

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: 20VT Fan Club

Post by Hotshot »

Very nice! Is that a Cooper stock on that Savage?
TOO builder

Post by TOO builder »

No, it was a custom job done by Joel Russo out in PA. He used a B&C Tac/Varmint stock that I had for a pattern. Savage target action and Shilen 12 twist 26" barrel.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Very nice.What's not to love?
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

TOO builder
Wat to go!! very nicely put together. Me Joel Russo and got to see some of his works art.
He marries an action to stock very nicely. He has a nice selection woods, laminations and exotics. He's one on one with his customers.
Thanks for sharing....nice group.........I love bug holes!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
scootertrash

Post by scootertrash »

So nobody is confused, the 3750+ fps velocity is easily enough achieved, but the rifle's sweet spot used to really like the middle node of around 3700-3720 fps. The issue is the newer lots of RL7 have been coming out with much lower burn rates than the last lots, so loads must be adjusted accordingly. A chrono and buying your preferred powders in 5lb. or 8lb. lots is the only way to go if you shoot volumes of ammo.

But I have to say, after the groups Rick posted down on the lower node of ~3600 fps, I certainly would not change that load just to gain 100 fps. I consider the 20VT about a 400 yard rifle on pdogs with the 32 grain bullets, and 3600 fps shooting like that.....well it just doesn't get much better.

Mike
Factory Custom
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hey Mike, good to see you here. :D

I took the Cooper VT out yesterday with more test loads using Nosler 32gr BT's, as I've got a good source for them (imagine that). I bumped the charges of RL-7 by a tenth grain up to 18.5gr, but at that point, my 23-year old Chrony took a dump, and the wind came up, so I'll have to re-shoot. But as you mentioned, the gun really cruises along with the lighter 18.0gr load and shoots it into bugholes with my slow lot of RL-7. The rifle sure does prefer the Sierra 32gr BK though, and makes no bones about it.

Think Skippy would know the difference?

(Ordered a new Chrono today too...... :mad: )

Toobuilder: Count me in for the 20VT Fan Club. I can see you're set up for some fun too.....lookin' good! From what time I've spent shooting my 20VT, I can tell it's going to get some field time this spring alongside my 204's. What a perfect companion caliber. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

You guys are killing me with the 20 VT talk. I just got my CZ 527 Varmint 20 VT back from Bob Green and its killing me not to be able to take it out and shoot it. However with approximately 18 inches of snow on the ground its going to be awhile before I will be doing any shooting. :)
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I will not buy a Cooper 20VT, I will not buy a Cooper 20VT, I will not buy a Cooper 20VT :eek: There, I'm okay now! :lol:
Now, would you guys PLEASE stop tempting me!!!!! :roll: Captqc
TOO builder

Post by TOO builder »

We will not stop tempting you, we will not stop tempting you :P

My companion cartridge for the 20VT during a pd hunt last spring was my 6.5x55AI.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay Captcq, let's see how long you can resist the VT temptation once you get out into the field soon, and are exposed to at least one......we'll see how good your will-power really is then....... :chin:

Toobuilder: That looks like an ideal combination of companion calibers. I'm betting the prairie dogs felt much differently though. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Rick, your powers have no effect on me! :eek: :lol: Gary
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Yes the 20 VarTargs are tough to resist! I will definitely take mine out with the 204s when going for sage rats and prairie dogs. You can extend the range of the VarTarg with the 39 grain Blitzkings. I hate to say it buy I may like the 20 VarTarg better than the 204. It just does not have the acrobatics that the 204 does at the longer ranges. It is just so easy to see all the hits in the scope and it is so accurate.
Please, no Sidewinder today!