exploding targets

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

exploding targets

Post by btlbrn »

So what do you guys like for exploding targets? Shaving cream is good, #2 1/2 can of corn is FANTASTIC!! Water bottles are cool. Full soda cans are most impressive. Not so many varmints in my neck of the desert. :mad:
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: exploding targets

Post by Clint E »

Half rotton apples,tomatos,crab apples others call them hedge apples,punkins filled with water witch is my uncles favorite thing to explode.
basicly anything that is free or uneditable.
Not many varmints here either
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

well lately i've been smacking those pesky dirty disease carrying starlings with my .17 HMR with the Hornady 17 grain vmax. The feather explosions are fun if you hit them right. The pieces go flying....wing here, head there etc. Il shoot them lengthwise if possible for the best feather flying results. If not I'll hit and the shoulder wing junction. The varmints here are slim because the yoteys get all the groundhogs. I did see one on a farm yesterday that I have permission to hunt, but I almost hate to try to shoot it. They need to repopulate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

If you are in the Southwest then there should be lots of citrus trees around. Oranges and grapefruits make good targets especially if they are on the southside of ripe!
204hotrod
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLSS 4-16 X 56 mildot Millett varmint scope

Post by 204hotrod »

ryutzy;
If ya really want to see the feathers fly; try hitting the starlings with your 204 and 32 gr vmax------- kinda just vaporizes them!!!!!
Are you gonna pull them pistols, or just whistle dixie??
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

hotrod--LOL yeah I may have to try that on a bird or two just for kicks. Should be fun
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

btlbrn wrote:So what do you guys like for exploding targets?
Most of the time, we use these, but larger ones (first hatch of the year):

When hit with a 204, they go like this:

Then they look like this:

Seriously though, we're blessed with an unlimited supply of Beldings Ground Squirrels and rock chucks, so don't have to resort to the shaving cream or soda can routine. "Go west young man." :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist..... :wink: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

204hotrod
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VLSS 4-16 X 56 mildot Millett varmint scope

Post by 204hotrod »

RIO;
Great pics looks a lot like a prairie dog at the business end of the 204! I just can't get my finger from the trigger to the shutter button fast enough!!!!!!! LOL
Are you gonna pull them pistols, or just whistle dixie??
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

ryutzy wrote:well lately i've been smacking those pesky dirty disease carrying starlings with my .17 HMR with the Hornady 17 grain vmax. The feather explosions are fun if you hit them right. The pieces go flying....wing here, head there etc. Il shoot them lengthwise if possible for the best feather flying results. If not I'll hit and the shoulder wing junction. The varmints here are slim because the yoteys get all the groundhogs. I did see one on a farm yesterday that I have permission to hunt, but I almost hate to try to shoot it. They need to repopulate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These are called "feather novas!" First one I ever saw was a pigeon hit by my .257 Roberts Ackley with a 75 grain HP - it was awesome! The exploding nova left a slowly descending nebula of feathers and what appeared to be goo dripping from the branch. Sort of a squib gazpacho. Astronomical, just astronomical! :mrgreen:
btlbrn
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by btlbrn »

RIO,
Thanx for that... "Go west young man." :D
shooting fishing camping did I mention shooting??
Steve
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Clint E »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
btlbrn wrote:
Seriously though, we're blessed with an unlimited supply of Beldings Ground Squirrels and rock chucks, so don't have to resort to the shaving cream or soda can routine. "Go west young man." :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist..... :wink: )

I tried to go west wife said no because i wouldnt ever make it to work . I guess i will have to wait till i retire and have a summer home out west they can come vist .
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

RIO I was thinking about moving to Colorada as I've got relatives and some friends there, but then I got married! Now she says no lol! Thats ok tho I guess cuz I just landed my dream job here, so I'll settle for lots of trips to various western states.