im buying a new gun help!!!!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: im buying a new gun help!!!!

Post by Wrangler John »

I agree with the Cooper suggestion. There are a bunch of options that can be ordered extra cost, such as "Custom Barrel Twist & Make" . You can have it your way, and at a cost lower than a custom build. It comes ready to scope and shoot. Mine is good as it came, one hole groups, no extra fiddling around necessary.

Even building a rifle from a new Remington or Savage action will run me a minimum of $2000, usually closer to $3000. The Cooper may not have the lightest trigger to match the Jewel trigger, but all I had to do is open the box. I'm finicky about triggers due to nerve damage, there's really nothing wrong with the Cooper trigger. The quality of machining is superb, it has a three lug bolt and very fast lock time. It should last a lifetime.
leeloader
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by leeloader »

it sounds like cooper is the way to go im going to call and order one later today
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

leeloader wrote:it sounds like cooper is the way to go im going to call and order one later today
leeloader: This is how my Cooper MTV Model 21 chambered in 204 Ruger appears right out of the box. As Wrangler mentioned...no work required, and it shoots bugholes with any decent handload:

For a bit less money, the Cooper M21 VR (standard varmint) in 204 is one heck of a deal when you add it all up. One of my VR's is a 223 Rem, and is one of my most accurate varmint rifles, and came with outstanding wood. Just something to consider. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

leeloader: You lucky dog!!! For my tastes, the Cooper trigger adjusts very nicely for field use. However, for those that really like a light trigger, it still sounds like Cooper intends to release a bench trigger in the future.

RedLeg: If I had a dollar for every time that I failed to communicate what I meant, I would be placing my 20VT order with Cooper today! In fact, I've already had to spit my shoe out today.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

leeloader wrote:its good to hear that im not the only tired of bs from other sites im looking at coopers right now not bad for the price what about remington never owned one jim but do notice that alot do i shot one in 30-06 but was not impressed
This kinda goes in hand with what it would cost to set the others up. It doesn't cost me anywhere near $2000 to get my Remingtons or CZ to shoot as well as a Cooper and that includes the price of the gun(s), much less $3000. But apparantly it does cost some that much to do that, and in that case, a Cooper is the way to go.

I still think you would need to reload to get the best accuracy. As far as disassatification with other makes, there has been plenty of dissent with Remington, Savage, Ruger and others. Everybody, lets a turd pass the filter from time-to-time. The real question comes with how they correct it.

HTH
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Rick, it is my understanding that the Cooper Varminter, Montana Varminter and Phoenix are identical other than the details/material in the stock. The Varmint Extreme has upgraded wood and greater polishing of metal but is the same (not greater) quality from an accuracy standpoint. Is this your take as well?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS wrote:Is this your take as well?
Yeppers....just depends on how purty or utilitarian you want her to be. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

leeloader
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by leeloader »

rick what load you shot out of ur cooper
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Cool, thanks. I've always thought my wife looks her best when cooking and cleaning!!! I'm not worried, she knows me inside and out by now :)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

RAMOS wrote:Cool, thanks. I've always thought my wife looks her best when cooking and cleaning!!! I'm not worried, she knows me inside and out by now :)
Heh, heh, mine too. :wink: It's amazing they stay with us after knowing what we're really like, eh? :lol:
leeloader wrote:rick what load you shot out of ur cooper
My Cooper 204 prefers RL-10X, but keep in mind every rifle is a different animal, even two rifles one serial number digit apart made on the same day may shoot entirely differently. But as you asked, I shoot any brand of bullet that gives me the best accuracy for the rodent control I do at extended ranges. The Cooper in question shoots the Nosler 32gr BT at 4,060 fps using 26.5grs of 10X, seated .040" off the lands. The 32gr SBK runs 4,035 fps using the same load, but .055" off the lands. This is using both WW and Nosler/Norma fully prepped cases with Rem 7-1/2's for ignition. Both loads easily shoot 1/4" from the bench at 100. Scope is a Leupold VX3, 6.5-20X LR.

As an example, here's a ten-shot target shot during load development with the Cooper MTV. Once I think I've found a decent load, I shoot ten-shot groups to really see what's up and see if further tweaking is needed. 'Yes' in this case, but not much. :D

A better shot showing the wood on the rifle during a recent shoot (the rifle came from Sportsmans Whs in Missoula, MT):

Keep in mind that you need to work up any given load should you land that Cooper 204. Do NOT start out with any loads listed by me or anyone else on this or any other forum. All loads need to be verified using a reloading manual and started low then worked up, always carefully looking for pressure signs along the way.

Good luck with the quest, let us know how it all turns out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Mike wrote:
RedLeg wrote:I prefer manufacturers that have not supported an administration that tries to hide illegal gun running, and attacks on the 2nd Amendment.
Do your own research.
With all due respect, I'd encourage you to do the same. One man, for whatever reason, chose to donate some of his personal funds to the Obama campaign. That man is no longer a part of Cooper firearms. Buy whatever floats your boat, but snubbing Cooper for this reason makes no logical sense.
One NEVER tries to mix politics and logic together...they are like opposites....
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

With all due respect to all of the esteemed Members of the 204 board. Can we all please stay on topic from here on out??

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hail: :wtg: :wtg:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

I'll put in my order for a .204, 20VT, and 260rem all Coopers please.

If only we could get them shipped down under without all the export/import fees. :cry:
Guess I'll just keep looking at all the pretty pics.

Good luck with your new toy Leeloader (when you get it), and welcome aboard.
Let us know how it goes
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Kinda OT but not reallyn (subject still Cooper). Does Cooper have a repeater model that is chambered in a 17TAC and or 20TAC?
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Song Dog wrote:Kinda OT but not reallyn (subject still Cooper). Does Cooper have a repeater model that is chambered in a 17TAC and or 20TAC?
No, not 'yet'........ They recently introduced their Model 54 repeater, but it's an action and boltface tailored to the .308 family and chambered so. I'm told they're working on the M21 repeater, which would be the action length that would house rounds like the 20 Tac and the like. "Good things come to those who wait......." :chin:

Make that first shot really count, and you don't need a magazine full of rounds....it's the "single shot mentality" that also applies to working with the Ruger No.1 and its ilk. Honestly, hunting with a single shot rifle does make you a better shot/hunter. :D
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA