im buying a new gun help!!!!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: im buying a new gun help!!!!

Post by RAMOS »

In regards to that "single shot mentality". The first shotgun I used as a kid was a Rem 1100. It had been cut down for my 5' mother. When I graduated from high school my folks bought me a used Win 96 O/U. Asked dad why they picked a double for me. He replied, "Your pretty good when you try but, the way you shoot a semi-auto, you should just put that first shell back in your pocket. We thought you would be better off with two chances instead of three.". For me, they were right. That was 1983 and it is still the only shotgun I own for doves, quail, pheasants, ducks and geese. Different strokes you know.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

Rick in Oregon wrote:
Song Dog wrote:Kinda OT but not reallyn (subject still Cooper). Does Cooper have a repeater model that is chambered in a 17TAC and or 20TAC?
No, not 'yet'........ They recently introduced their Model 54 repeater, but it's an action and boltface tailored to the .308 family and chambered so. I'm told they're working on the M21 repeater, which would be the action length that would house rounds like the 20 Tac and the like. "Good things come to those who wait......." :chin:

Make that first shot really count, and you don't need a magazine full of rounds....it's the "single shot mentality" that also applies to working with the Ruger No.1 and its ilk. Honestly, hunting with a single shot rifle does make you a better shot/hunter. :D
I am full agreement on the better shot and hunter with a single shot.
I could, maybe, see me selling again to bring in a Cooper 17tac and 20 tac in the house.
So the Mdl 21 is geared for more like the 223 type carts?
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Song Dog wrote:So the Mdl 21 is geared for more like the 223 type carts?
Correct. Here's the rundown:

Calibers Available
Model 21
17 Rem
204 Ruger
222 Rem
222 Rem Mag
223 Rem
223 Rem AI
6x45
6x47
17 Fireball
20 VarTarg
221 Fireball

Model 38
17 Squirrel
17 Ackley Hornet
17 He Bee
22 Hornet
22 K-Hornet
22 Squirrel
218 Bee
218 Mashburn Bee

Here's their M21 VR:

I see now they no longer chamber the neat little M38 for the 20 VarTarg....glad I have one. :wink:
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

RAMOS wrote:In regards to that "single shot mentality". The first shotgun I used as a kid was a Rem 1100. It had been cut down for my 5' mother. When I graduated from high school my folks bought me a used Win 96 O/U. Asked dad why they picked a double for me. He replied, "Your pretty good when you try but, the way you shoot a semi-auto, you should just put that first shell back in your pocket. We thought you would be better off with two chances instead of three.". For me, they were right. That was 1983 and it is still the only shotgun I own for doves, quail, pheasants, ducks and geese. Different strokes you know.
I too Ramos, started with a single shot, shotgun and I believe I got pretty gagey with it. I still shoot single shot rifles (TC's) and truely enjoy the single shot's.. However, like most, I do own other types of actions. But nothing in the world wrong with a good old single. Break action or bolt fed.. And I also believe they make a person place his shot better. I know my kids and grand kids do not blaze through the ammo nearly as fast with the single compared to when they shoot a semi-auto especially... But it is all in fun. Bill K :D
leeloader
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

Post by leeloader »

I agree a single shot makes you think about all the things that could effect your shoot. Thats why my kids only shoot them for now. Ill tell what too my youngest is as good as a shoot as me
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

A question for Rick.............

How would you rate a typical Kimber rifle in comparison to a Cooper Arms rifle.....? Inquiring minds........? :lol:

-BCB
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Hal, I think you're well aware by now that I'm a convert, enjoy a mild crow stew now and then, and will admit to owning more rifles that wear the Cooper label than Kimber. Fond of both, but workmanship and accuracy really counts to me.

But when it comes to 1911 .45's......well, that's an entirely different animal altogether. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Well Hal, I think you're well aware by now that I'm a convert, enjoy a mild crow stew now and then, and will admit to owning more rifles that wear the Cooper label than Kimber. Fond of both, but workmanship and accuracy really counts to me.

But when it comes to 1911 .45's......well, that's an entirely different animal altogether. :wink:
Just jabbin' back at ya' for days gone by.... :mrgreen: I didn't know Cooper made a 45.... :chin:

-BCB
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bayou City Boy wrote:Just jabbin' back at ya' for days gone by.... :mrgreen: I didn't know Cooper made a 45.... :chin:-BCB
It's all good, amigo, and I'd be the first to say that you can tell me "I told ya so". Wish I hadn't waited so long to take the plunge. See.....you lured yet another one over to The Dark Side. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA