New Toy

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

New Toy

Post by Pmoper »

OK...Finally going to "pull the trigger" so-to-speak...Got a chance to get either a CZ 527 Varmint (wood stocked) for $575 or a Remington 700 SPS Varmint for $560 or a Howa 1500 Custom Varmint with heavy target barrel 22" for $390.....open to suggestions and opinions.....Any help would be appreciated.....Shoot straight and shoot often....
Kale_M
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 VTR

Re: New Toy

Post by Kale_M »

I personaly love the Rem700. Everyone says they take all this work to shoot good but any rem I have had puts them in the same hole right out of the box.
Like the look of the Howa as well. Not really a fan of the CZ
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

Kale_M wrote:I personaly love the Rem700. Everyone says they take all this work to shoot good but any rem I have had puts them in the same hole right out of the box.
Like the look of the Howa as well. Not really a fan of the CZ
May I ask why you are not a fan of the CZ's...? I was never a fan of Big Green but they do make a good rifle....Howa is basically a Weatherby Vangard with a different suit on...
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

They should all shoot well. If it's a carry gun check the weight of each.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Kale.. I have two Howa's alongwith Remingtons and TC Contenders and a couple of other brands. The Howa's are a very good value for the money and they shoot very well, from the box. A little tuning and they will cut very small holes.. Check out Legacy sports website. Bill K :)
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

One of each. :D
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I agree with Kale. My 204 is a 700 SPS. The factory stock is crap but the rifle itself is superb. Very accurate.
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

Which one feels the best to you, that is the important thing. I think of the ones you mentioned the Howa is probably the best deal. Lots of decent guns these days at bargain prices. In the same price range though you have the Tikka and Savages. I am a Savage fan myself simply because they are so easy to rebarrel, have decent triggers, and for the most part are tack drivers straight from the box with no tweaking required. I like the looks of the CZ's though, just not real crazy about the set trigger, but then some people don't like the Savage Accutrigger. Only Remington I own is a old BDL from the early 80's, lousy trigger, 1.5 to 2MOA accuracy but as long as it shoots minute of deer that's all I will ask of the old girl. I see a lot of Rems up at the club, they seem to have hit and miss QA these days, one will be a tackdriver straight from the box and the next will leave a lot to be desired. Not nuts about their new trigger design either.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Of the 3 that you have listed I would go with the Howa and you would save enough money to put a replacement trigger in it. They are supposed to have come out with a new trigger which is not bad. I have several customers that have been very happy with the accuracy from their Howas. I for one, like the CZ set trigger. I have had issues with the CZ 527 magazine not feeding properly with a full magazine and it protrudes out the bottom of the rifle a ways. My favorite 204 is the Savage, have two different models that shoot very well. I like the accutrigger for a stock trigger. I have had 3 Remington rifles and they were all mediocre as far as accuracy.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I will have a Howa soon and will post a report after I get it tuned in.
Howas now come with a 2-stage trigger that is fully adjustable.
Why not get the 24" Howa? Its the #6 barrel. You can also buy just the barreled action from Howa if you don't like their stocks.
There's almost no wrong choice these days when it comes to .204. I think the Howa is the best quality for value on the market, that's why I went with them.
Also check out the replacement box magazine system for Howas at the Legacy site. You can get a 5 or 10 round mag system for under $100. Good deal.
K = ½mv2
Shamu25
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint in .204

Post by Shamu25 »

My CZ varmint shoots amazingly well and love the set trigger. 1/4" at 100 yds and it's a beautiful gun. Paid $585 new for mine. Would do it all over again.