Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
KiwiMonkey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by KiwiMonkey »

Hi Geoff, replied to your PM. My 204 is off getting sorted out by my uncle, issue with scope mounts being uneven heights and someone had packed the rear scope ring out with cardboard! Burris adjustable rings should sort it out, uncle said he shot a 16mm group but it was half a metre low at 100m until it gets those rings.
Savage 12-VLP .204
Savage MkIIF(B)SS .22LR
Ruger Hawkeye .308
tikka204nz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3 varmint

Post by tikka204nz »

Hi to both Geoff23 and KiwiMonkey

My name is Gary, from sunny Hawkes Bay, I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in 204 and like most find it a challenge to get the best performance, I am shooting .3" to .4" groups at 100m, have not managed to reach that 4000fps mark yet. Picture will be posted soon
mcsenna
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Mk11 TV

Post by mcsenna »

Hi there, my name is Rod and I am from Adelaide South Australia. I came across the site when i was researching the 204 ruger. I have since ordered a Ruger Mk11 VT heavy barrell 204 and can't wait to get my hands on it. It wasn't easy, Rugers are very hard to come by here I'm not sure why but I believe it has something to do with Ruger lowering production. The other problem I guess is that we are at the end of the supply chain down under.
Up untill now I have used a 22 cal Bruno on rabbits and foxes with the occasional kangaroo and goat thrown in. The last 2 were a major struggle with the 22 and hence the move to a 204. In the past unless I could get within 50mtrs I didn't even bother, seeing something running off with a bullet hole in it does nothing for me.
I'm now looking at scopes for the new rifle and will be dooing lots of reading hereabouts to see what people think. At he moment i am leaning towards a Leupold 4.5-15x40.
First up will be a visit to the local range to sight the new baby, will keep you posted. Thanks for putting the site up, great resource it will be I'm sure, the 204 calibre is certainly becoming very popular down here.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Welcome Rod.
I'm a little west of you on E.P.
Had my Ruger in 204 for about 18 months. No goats yet, but it happily sorts out the others you mentioned.
Let us know how your new toy turns out. And post some pics too
mcsenna

Post by mcsenna »

Will do mate, looking forward to a bit more grunt. Usually shoot up in the Flinders ranges, haven't been to your part of the world for a few years now, but i hear it's looking pretty good these days.
tikka204nz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3 varmint

Post by tikka204nz »

Hi to Sth Oz Dan and mcsenna

I worked for the PBD driving trucks in Adelaide and worked for Arthur, Hall and Actkins operating heavy plant doing the Eyre Highway at Nundroo back in the seventies, good shooting then.

Here is my tikka

mcsenna

Post by mcsenna »

Sweet rig!
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Gotta love them Tikkas. My brother has the Hunter Stainless in 22-250 - very nice gun.

A cousin of mine spent a bit of time "working" around Nundroo - going by his stories he spent more time catching big Snapper and Crays, and shooting pests, than he did working :D I'm just jealous.
My Dad used to shoot roos for a crust a bit west of there many years ago. It's a target rich environment.

Rod - heard there was a decent blaze in the Flinders a day or 2 ago. Hopefully everyone pulled through alright there.
There's still a little evidence here of the big fire (8 years ago I think), but the place is looking pretty green right now. I love it here this time of year.
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

Post by jdohio »

I'm new here. Came across the site as I was researching .204 Ruger. I like shooting groundhogs at my in-law's farms. I've been using a model 700 varmint synthetic in 22-250 but ever since I saw Remington's R-15 in .204 I've wanted something in that caliber. I recently thought about building an AR in .204 but parts are hard to come by. I pretty much bought the first .204 rifle I could find locally, which was a Thompson Center Venture Predator. It seems like a nice gun for the money, but mine was a lemon. Unfortunately the rifle is on its way back to T/C now but I'll make a new thread about that.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

jdohio wrote:I'm new here. Came across the site as I was researching .204 Ruger. I like shooting groundhogs at my in-law's farms. I've been using a model 700 varmint synthetic in 22-250 but ever since I saw Remington's R-15 in .204 I've wanted something in that caliber. I recently thought about building an AR in .204 but parts are hard to come by. I pretty much bought the first .204 rifle I could find locally, which was a Thompson Center Venture Predator. It seems like a nice gun for the money, but mine was a lemon. Unfortunately the rifle is on its way back to T/C now but I'll make a new thread about that.
Check out Model 1.com for a AR in 204, good prices on parts, etc. to build one up.. Or via Franklin Armory you can come up with one for around 1100.00, which is not to bad. Flat top, bull barrel/24 inch. Or check out Legacy sports. com and their 1500 Howa in 204. I have the one with the 22 inch #2 barrel and it shoots super. They are priced right and are a good buy for the money. Your dealer should be able to obain any of these for you. And by the way welcome to the site, lot's of good info and pretty open/honest guys lurk here. Bill K :)
Geno
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa M1500 .204 Ruger

Post by Geno »

Morning guys,
I've been reading here quite a bit before I bought my Howa .204 Ruger.
I'm from South Africa, and do quite a bit of Jackal hunting, and a little bit of culling.
Firearms that I use are:
.22LR Mauser MS420B (License pending)
.204 Ruger Howa Hogue (License pending)
.25-06 Ruger M77 MKII VT
.308win CZ550

Looking forward to talking to everyone!

Cheers,
Eugene
Saving sheep one bullet at a time!
Sth Oz Dan

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Welcome aboard Geno.
"Saving sheep one bullet at a time" - :D Classic
I'm hoping to do the same over the next few months - lambs dropping on neighbour's/friend's properties at the moment and foxes trying to take advantage of the meek. Hopefully the 20 cal beats them before they take too many
grousehunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 204, Remmy 204

Post by grousehunter »

New to this forum. Own and been a big fan of 204's since them came out. I had no idea about this site til the other day. Looking to learn more about loads and developement. Take care.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Welcome Grousehunter. A lot of good people here with a wealth of info. So ask away.
Glad you found the site.

Later
Ray P. :wink:
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
T-Bone
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in .204 Ruger

Post by T-Bone »

I'm new here also. I recently acquired a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar and put a Harris bi-pod and a SWFA SS fixed 10x mildot scope on it. Sweet rifle and I am getting some good groups with it. I just picked up some Harnady 40 gr V-Max and got my best group ever on the second group - almost a third MOA at 100yds!