About to join the ranks of .204 owners

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Cramer06
.204 Ruger Guns: none

About to join the ranks of .204 owners

Post by Cramer06 »

I've been interested in this caliber for some time, but have just recently decided to convert one of my rifles to .204 from .223. I started hunting a used barrel maybe 2 months ago. After a series of missed opportunities and one deal gone south, I finally made a deal on a barrel and should have it arriving within the next week or so. Hopefully this post didn't jinx me. If it doesn't, I'll post some pics and range report once o get it!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: About to join the ranks of .204 owners

Post by Glen »

Can't wait to see the finished rig!! Show us some before pics along with the afters. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

+1 to what Glen said.

Some details about the build would be nice, too. What kind of rifle are you using and what's the new barrel?
Cramer06

Post by Cramer06 »

I'll post up some before pics later. The rifle I'm using is a Stevens 200 .223. It's got a timney trigger, boyds thumbhole stock, and i replaced the plastic trigger guard with metal. And I put a bolt lift kit in it not too long ago. Nikon 4.5-14x40SF for optics. As it sits, the gun is surprisingly accurate.

The barrel I bought is a factory savage varmint .204 barrel. 26 inch 1/12 twist. Stainless and fluted. This is a budget conversion and i have no concerns about the accuracy I'll get out of a savage barrel. I expect it to be pretty sweet!!

Cramer06

Post by Cramer06 »

The .223

bazz
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka

Post by bazz »

STOP DONT DO IT , 204s are addictive with there lazer accuracy mild recoil and fun factor they will take over your life , your work will affected you wont be able to do your job because all you will be thinking is about is the 204 , you spouse will get neglected because all your spare time will be taken up with shooting , or they will want to shoot it too , jobs around the house will never get done because you will be reloading , your friends will hate you cause you will out shoot them , animals dont just die they implode on entry and explode on exit you cant just have one ect ect other addicts will chime in with reasons of there own you have been warned :eek: cheers bazz
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

bazz wrote:STOP DONT DO IT , 204s are addictive with there lazer accuracy mild recoil and fun factor they will take over your life , your work will affected you wont be able to do your job because all you will be thinking is about is the 204 , you spouse will get neglected because all your spare time will be taken up with shooting , or they will want to shoot it too , jobs around the house will never get done because you will be reloading , your friends will hate you cause you will out shoot them , animals dont just die they implode on entry and explode on exit you cant just have one ect ect other addicts will chime in with reasons of there own you have been warned :eek: cheers bazz
I'm not addicted - I can stop at any time.
I just don't want to yet :D

Good luck with the project Cramer. Looking forward to seeing how it prints on targets, and critters!
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Converting a 223 to 204, God bless ya you will never look back. I may get reprimanded ,but in my opinion the 204 way out shines the 223 as a varmit round. It doesnt give up much to the 22-250 either inside 400 yrds. When you get a 8 twist 22-250 and heavey bullets. Now that is a different animal. You will love the 204. Watching the bullet roll or in the case of squirrls with v grenades Vaporise, is awsome. Truley a excellent varmit round. My 204 is my favorite rifle. I do recomend fast twist barrel. I love my 1 in 9 shilen. It groups like a bench gun on my ar 15. Enjoy and good luck.
Cramer06

Post by Cramer06 »

Got my barrel in the mail today! Has anyone hollowed out a boyds thumbhole from a sporter to fit a heavy barrel? I hope there is enough wood there!ImageImageImage