Savage Model 10 .204 Ruger

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
mailmanmark
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 10

Savage Model 10 .204 Ruger

Post by mailmanmark »

What a PITA it is to clean. Found that i needed another cleaning rod, then brushes to fit 5/40 thread instead of 8/32... went to Bass pro, found a couple of bore swabs that said 5/40 thread and in fact they are 8/32. Even they cant label their stuff right...lol so i'm pushing bore swabs down the barrel not connected to a rod and using a .22 boresnake with the weight filed down to go through the barrel. Using Barnes Copper remover and Hoppes Elite Carbon remover, then outers foaming bore followed by G96. There has got to be an easier way... :)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Savage Model 10 .204 Ruger

Post by Bill K »

Pro-shot SS rod, with .20 cal jags.. Wipe out and cloth patch's, soak then patch dry, when clean (per instructions on container). A coating a Lock ease and you are ready to rock and roll. :D :D Bill K
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

There are a lot of better choices out there for a cleaning rod, then a boresnake. Including the pro shot Bill mentioned. Dewy is my rod of choice. No matter the rod you choose get a 20cal specific rod. As for brushes or jags, get the 20cal specific products, this way every thing that will fit a 20cal rod, is the correct thread. For copper removal, my choice is also the Barne's CR-10, stinks but does the best job on copper fouling I have tried. I tried the Wipeout stuff, and from what I found it just did not do a decent job for me. Also,I use Shooters Choice mixed with about 30 % Kroil for getting the carbon out. When clean, I do agree with Bill, use Loctite colloidal graphite after barrel is scrubbed clean. Makes a big difference the next time you have to clean the barrel
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

IMO, bore snakes serve a purpose but deep cleaning is-not one of them. I use Dewey rods with Pro-shot aluminum jags and Pro-shot brushes and patches [1/8' x 1/8" AIRC]. For cleaners, I use 60/40 Kroil Shooters Choice mix followed by the LockEase sold at NAPA (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0434860563) that has been mentioned previously. For deep cleaning copper, I use Sweets 7.62, it works better than anything I've tried thus far and for heavy powder and carbon fouling I use JB Bore paste and Lead-Away cloth and there is nothing left after that regiment. Be advised though, Lead-Away will remove bluing so make sure you confine it to the interior of the barrel. An excellent carbon (only)killer is SLIP 2000 BUT... you must throughy remove it because it is water based and will rust if you don't get it out.

WRT Wipe/Patch Out, Accelerator and Tactical (http://www.sharpshootr.com) products, I've found that they work well but, if your barrel is heavely fouled with either copper, powder and/or carbon, be prepared to spend some time getting it cleaned; but it did work for me. For me, I used PATCH OUT [liquid] in lieu of WIPE OUT [foam]. HOWEVER, be advised that some their products are hard on wood and varnish type finishes and will remove it, so be aware if that applies and it clearly states: DO-NOT use in combination with other products.

Make sure you get a good bore guide. I use the custom ones for the rifles in lieu of a universal type

HTH