Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter Bench Rest

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
BigG
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter

Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter Bench Rest

Post by BigG »

I posted in the intro section so this is the continuation from there. This thread will be a running update to my quest to gain as tight of groups as I can get out of my new Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter from a bench rest @ 100 yards (as far as my range goes). So far I have zero rounds through this rifle. Just getting started. (Have gone through this same process with other rifles though). And, as I'm not a reloader, will be working towards finding the factory load that shoots best through this particular rifle.

Updates will come as time and weather permits....it's for fun and I'm in no hurry.

Basics:

Cleaned the rifle and lubed.

Starting with the stock rifle I adjusted the accutrigger to as light as it will go. Don't have a gauge yet but I want as light of trigger pull as I can get.

Added a SWFA SS 20x42 scope on Vortex low rings.

Added a Harris bi-pod.

Bought but have not yet installed a Southwest Precision cheek riser. Will see how the rifle feels after the first trip to the range without it.

What I'm willing to put into it:

Already added a 20x scope.

Trigger(s).

Stock(s)/stock work.

A bunch of different rounds/practice.

Who knows, maybe it will shoot a quarter size group 1st thing with the first ammo I put through it. We'll see, and I'll post my journey.

BigG

Re: Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter Bench Rest

Post by BigG »

I went through this exact same process with a bone stock Ruger 10/22 and couldn't have had more fun. Wound up with dime sized groups @ 50 yards with a SWFA SS 16x42 scope.

Wound up with a Hogue stock and Kidd trigger @ 1.5lbs and A LOT of ammo testing. Everything else is stock. It's amazing how many different brands, grains, etc, there are of .22lr (.204 is a different story). I think I went through the majority of them, for fun (REALLY EXPENSIVE match grade down to the cheapest I could find). Found CCI Blazer shot the best, and that was interesting (but happy it wound up cheap! :wtg:)
johnhenry
.204 Ruger Guns: M-77 Hawkeye Predator .204

Post by johnhenry »

I have the Savage LWVT 25 in 17 Hornet with the laminated stock. Burris Bullfield 2 6.5 X 20 X 50. I dont reload either, just looking for a decent group without screwing around. Mine consistently shoots Hornady 15.5NTX better then the 20 grain v max. Just a hair under 5/8 inch.for the NTX. Vmax is about 1 inch.
Over all I think it will shoot better if I can improve my bench rest hold and technique.
Be curious as to what you experience with yours.
Johnhenry
BigG

Post by BigG »

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this Johnhenry "Over all I think it will shoot better if I can improve my bench rest hold and technique."

I'm kind of into fitness too. Heart rate around 56 bmp. No doubt, if I slow down, pay attention to my heart beat and breathing, and pay attention to my trigger pull, I'm a better shooter. Funny how it's all to easy to mess up a group because I'm not doing something right. Especially with a higher power scope, you see every breath, every heart beat. Also funny that it happens more often than not. I know my rifles can shoot tight groups....question is, can I do my part...and that's all part of the fun.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Welcome. I don't shoot a lot of factory loadings but the best factory ammo I've ever shot has been Fiocchi with v-max bullet in the 50 round box, 32 & 40 grain if your rifle likes 40. I've got 1 rifle that shoots it so well that I don't even load for it. The 2nd best I've found has been the Nosler loaded Varmageddon tipped bullet. Good luck,
Jim D
BigG

Post by BigG »

Thank you Jim D. I will keep those in mind for sure. Eventually I'll wind up trying as many brand/grain combinations as I can in the effort to find the "one" that shoots the best groups out of this rifle.

On another note, I decided to go with a barrel break-in process as this is a brand new rifle and keeping in mind I'm going for long term accuracy as a "target rifle". This will be the first time I've "broke-in a barrel". Funny thing is, there's nothing to compare it to too know if it's going to make a difference :chin: . It can't hurt anything, so why not.

Break-in procedure I'll be following:

Shoot 1 round, clean (repeated for the first 5 rounds)
then....
Shoot 5 rounds, clean (repeated after every 5 rounds up through 25 rounds)

We'll see. :shrug:
BigG

Post by BigG »

All done with the break in. That's a lot of cleaning. :eek:

I, so far, love this round. It's what I thought it would be at 100 yards...a tack driver! I already know I have to get into longer range.

During the break in I shot a box of Winchester Varmint X 32gr Polymer Tip. Maybe it's the fact it's a new rifle but I had FTF on almost every round. Then I went to a box of Hornady Superperformance Varmint 32gr V-Max. Not so many FTF but quite a few FTE. Then went with Hornady Superperformance Varmint 40gr V-Max. Some FTF, no FTE.

As far as the overall setup of the rifle...the low scope rings are too low for me. Have ordered medium height rings. The trigger is pretty good but, again, I see more of a bench rest/match grade trigger in the future.

I think I've mentioned I have a 16X SWFA scope on another rifle and the glass is GREAT. The 20X SWFA glass is OK for now but for the most part a disappointment. As I get to the longer distances I see a better quality scope in my future (buy once, cry once...or twice in this case).

I ran across and bought a 'bipod buddy' also. It's OK. Going to try and get the scope height and bipod height figured out and get into a monopod. Way to much adjusting required on the bipod buddy for a bench rest shooter.

Will get some pics next time.