Fell victim again

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Fell victim again

Post by triggerfingers »

While waiting on my Cooper to be built an opportunity presented itself to purchase a Remington model 700 SPS at a smoking deal.
Not being able to pass up the opportunity and knowing I have several more months of waiting, I went ahead and picked it up and mounted a spare Sightron SIII on it. Hopefully this weekend I will make it to the range to start barrel breakin procedures. By the way, what is everyone's recommendation for doing this? shooting clean after every shot for the first 10 or shoot five then clean or? From what I read the SPS stock is not very good, any recommendations on what to replace it with?
Thanks
triggerfingers

Re: Fell victim again

Post by triggerfingers »

Well went out yesterday and did the barrel breaking at 50 yards. Shot serval all holes touching groups. Found out I hated the standard SPS stock so I. I'll be looking for a replacement today. Will post pictures of it when I get a new stock on it. :D
triggerfingers

Post by triggerfingers »

Got a M50 long range stock from Stocky Stocks and I'm very pleased with the quality of it. It already has an aluminum bedding block in it. I installed the new stock and went out to the range today to give it a try. Much more stable and sturdy and the factory original SPS. Shot the following group from the rifle. This is a five shot group at 100 yards with factory Hornady ammo.
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 452 times
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 452 times
Now I will start working up a new load for the rifle. My only major concern is that using my cartridge seating depth gauge I have found out this rifle has an extremely long throat. The bullet barely touches the end of the case when it comes in contact with the lands. So I'm curious as to how much "jump" should I start at? The factory round is jumping around .182 :huh:
Attachments
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 452 times
Last edited by triggerfingers on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TF, Not to worry in regard to that long jump. This anomaly is standard for all factory chambered 204R's. My Sako 75V jumps it's bullets almost .180" too, and the accuracy is amazing considering this huge jump.

You'll never reach the lands and have enough bullet in the case (any bullet) for proper neck tension or stability with any factory 204R. Don't fret about it, just work up a load with an OAL just say, .020" longer than factory and go from there either way in increments.

We've had postal shoots here using only the 204R, and the loads of course varied quite a bit, but one thing they all had in common was that huge 204R jump but produced targets that looked like they were shot with BR rifles. This caliber was designed for high speed, and it does so by employing what I call the "Weatherby Factor".....a long jump to the rifling.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails