About like Christmas

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

About like Christmas

Post by jsh »

I have Savage RBLP LRP that I bought some years back. It never made me real happy. Picked up a barrel from a fellow in 223 that had been cut down a bit and rechambered, was a LOT better, but…….I was already 223 poor with to many.
Savage in its infinite wisdom with their goofy threes screw set up leaves about two options for stocks to my knowledge, both not what I wanted for the task. Had my buddy tap the rear blind hole that was in the correct place and add another up front, now I am in business.
A lot of folks dislike the Choate stocks. I have come to like and prefer them on certain rigs. A few empty cavities and be filled with small shot and add a lot of weight pretty easy.
Decided I wasn’t going to wait on my old rig to give up, then order one. A call to James at NSS and he had on the shelf what I wanted just a bit shorter, would have liked a 28”. A Criterion 204 Ruger full bull no taper with their match chamber, short throat but will still chamber factory ammo. Barrel arrived today!
Stock in hand as well.
I ordered another Arken 5-25. Then got to thinking I believe I may have a scope I forgot about. Figured the box was empty as it was in the bottom part of the stack, nope heavy and full. One of the 6.5-20 Leupolds with the Varmint range finding reticle! I bought this from a fellow that said it was too much glass for his rig, $500 was a bargain. Lo and behold I had two Sightron STAC’s as well I forgot about.
Plenty of brass and bullets. Hope I can get speed and accuracy with Benchmark or CFE223. If I try ANY other powder it will be VV. Tried to chase down some N530 only to find it discontinued. 133 and 135 from their data leaves me wanting on speed.
All this rig will see is 40 grain bullets, plenty of Vmax, BK’s and Berger’s.

Unpacked the barrel for inspection, almost a shame to ugly it up with threads for the can, but I won’t shot it much if it’s not on there.
Need to get the action put back together.

All of ya stay cool and hydrated.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: About like Christmas

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like a fun project. When finished, let us see a few photo's. :)